Most Attractive Doctor

13»

Comments

• lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Sealeg wrote: »
    My gf is 28 and has a huge crush on Capaldi.

Yes, but people have all sorts of odd crushes. I think Capaldi falls more into that category. He does have the advantage of having looked the same for twenty years but then so has Judi Dench.

I think it also helps the newer Doctors in that pre-McGann, the Doctor was played as sexless. I wouldn't say that McGann played him in an overtly sexual way but the suggestion of sexual availability was introduced. He looks like a dashing romantic hero and plays the role like one.

Sexuality was also a big element of Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor, so I don't think it's a coincidence that he is so popular.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm stuck between Tennant & Eccleston TBH.

DT is probably 'better looking', but CE is a proper mans man if you know what I mean? There is definitely something about him.
    If I was forced to choose it would be CE. .... or possibly DT.

Actually, can I have both?
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I'm stuck between Tennant & Eccleston TBH.

DT is probably 'better looking', but CE is a proper mans man if you know what I mean?

Yes, I sort of get that. I can more easily buy him as a 'normal bloke', whereas you couldn't buy any of the others as a normal bloke. I think that blokiness helped the reboot of the series because it didn't look like a geeky sci-fi thing with weird looking people in (barring the monsters of course). You could 'identify' with him.
  • Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Yes, I sort of get that. I can more easily buy him as a 'normal bloke', whereas you couldn't buy any of the others as a normal bloke. I think that blokiness helped the reboot of the series because it didn't look like a geeky sci-fi thing with weird looking people in (barring the monsters of course). You could 'identify' with him.
    I never get this. They all look human to me, even Matt Smith and even Tom Baker. And with that said, I never get the argument: "He's supposed to be alien". Yes, he is, but that doesn't exactly translate in his appearance. Not to me anyway. Then again, there might just be a lot of aliens walking among us. Maybe all incarnations of the Doctor. Hmmm....
    Forum Member
    I never get this. They all look human to me, even Matt Smith and even Tom Baker. And with that said, I never get the argument: "He's supposed to be alien". Yes, he is, but that doesn't exactly translate in his appearance. Not to me anyway. Then again, there might just be a lot of aliens walking among us. Maybe all incarnations of the Doctor. Hmmm....

I think when he's wearing a period costume, that helps. Even though Smith and Baker are dressed eccentrically, their outfits are still modern day-ish. Smith was rocking the geek chic look so was actually quite fashionable! I think only Hartnell and McGann actually wore something that was from another period; the rest were either dressed conservatively, bizarrely, or the height of fashion! Davison, Baker and McCoy should have been rocking the legwarmers and lycra :P

One question, sort of related. You know all the fuss about Smith being too young? Did Davison get any backlash?
  • sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also because David Tennant is so ridiculous good looking, whichever actor followed him, they were always going to look a bit plain by comparison, which is a shame really!

I really, really like David Tennant. I liked him when he was the Doctor. I love him in interviews. He's got a real saucy side to him and you'd imagine he'd be great company. Having said all that, I seriously never thought of him as being 'good looking'. He was charming, boyish, impish, full of the joys of spring but never 'good looking' - certainly not 'ridiculously' so :o. Sorry. :blush:
    Forum Member
    sionnaigh wrote: »
    I really, really like David Tennant. I liked him when he was the Doctor. I love him in interviews. He's got a real saucy side to him and you'd imagine he'd be great company. Having said all that, I seriously never thought of him as being 'good looking'. He was charming, boyish, impish, full of the joys of spring but never 'good looking' - certainly not 'ridiculously' so :o. Sorry. :blush:

I agree with this. I think part of the perception of him being 'good looking' is because of him being in things like Casanova. If an actor plays sexy parts, he's going to appear more sexy. I suppose he might be considered 'good looking' as in the type you might pick up in a bar, but not 'get his pretty little face on TV RIGHT NOW'.

And also, he looks quite friendly and cheeky. If he wandered around looking dour, I think the attraction would wear off!
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DT is very good looking, but I prefer fellas a bit rougher round the edges.

Ecclestone's very attractive and I think Peter Capaldi is pretty gorgeous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mcgann, tennant, davidson, Capaldi, eccleston, all very fanciable.

The others all not.

I don't get it with smith, I'm sure he is a lovely chap and all that but I do not find him even slightly attractive...much like mccoy.
    Forum Member
    mcgann, tennant, davidson, Capaldi, eccleston, all very fanciable.

The others all not.

I don't get it with smith, I'm sure he is a lovely chap and all that but I do not find him even slightly attractive...much like mccoy.

And how has Sylvester McCoy not been mentioned (?) :o

With Smith, I think it is the phenomemnon that I will call The Cumberbatch Complex. An actor who has striking features but who wouldn't normally be deemed attractive gains a cult following playing an iconic character and then increases their TV/film appearances, picking up more lady followers until we all have a little bit of a crush on them. Possibly this is a backlash to the bland Hollyoaks hunk beauty.

Also, I suppose talent and charisma help. I'm a sucker for those :)
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a straight man myself, Peter Davison is the only one I've ever considered good-looking when he was in the part. McGann's a fairly good-looking bloke but the daft wig didn't help him. I've no idea what the fuss about Tennant ("the first Time-Phwoar") was all about. :confused: I can only assume people who fancy Tennant also think Jarvis Cocker is a sex God. Weirdos.
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    As a straight man myself, Peter Davison is the only one I've ever considered good-looking when he was in the part.

No, Peter Davison looks too nice, like a schoolteacher. Very Blue Peter. But then I suppose your hormones aren't playing a role in your selection :)

And hooray for a male point of view on this!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »

And hooray for a male point of view on this!

Well, some males have no idea of male attractiveness, obviously.

I mean, surely everyone sees Jarvis Cocker as a sex god?:confused:

(I admit posts like the one you quote make me wonder what the poster looks like....;-):D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    mousy wrote: »
    Just no to David Tennant

Kind of small and ratty

I like my men like men (although I did love Peter Davidson in his day)

edited as I feel a bit mean saying that about david tennant

David is really really tall! Skinny but built if you've ever seen his tummy (6 pack). He keeps himself super-fit. He is a beautiful looking fella, even with the crooked nose and the crossed eyes!
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eccleston and Capaldi for me, please.
    I think Matt Smith is good looking too. Someone up thread commented that he hasn't got "model looks." Most models have something more than good looks or have something interesting about them.
    I for one couldn't believe that the inhumanly talented Norman Reedus [Daryl, The Walking Dead] has modelled for the likes of Prada etc
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Davison for me
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    Peter Davison for me

I suppose I would describe his looks as 'friendly', 'take him home to Mother'. I can't imagine me swooning over him though.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a heterosexual male I wish I looked like 8 from Night of the Doctor
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    As a heterosexual male I wish I looked like 8 from Night of the Doctor

Good taste ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Wopsy wrote: »
    Through the years, we have witnessed a variety of Doctors, each bringing their own charm to the role. But it is rarely discussed which Doctor would win in the attractiveness and fanciability stakes. The obvious choice would be to plump for model esque Matt Smith, but I don't think he is necessarily the most fanciable...

William Hartnell brought a grandfatherly cool to the role, an older statesman air. Not pysically stunning, but for an older gent he was in good shape when it came to battles, had a mane of soft hair and a good bone structure.

Patrick Troughton could be deemed as somewhat cute and cuddly. His impish allure would win over a few hearts, in the way that Dudley Moore might have done. His moppish hair makes him a rival for the likes of The Beatles.

Jon Pertwee was the heroic type. Despite greying hair, he was definitely the hunkiest Doctor to date. A brilliant wardrobe, masculine body and effortless charm. You can imagine he would dine you well and be a superb entertainer at the dinner table and in the bedroom.

Tom Baker is an odd one. Somewhere between good looking and not. His curly hair is a delight and the broad grin could melt many hearts, but is he fanciable in the same way as Pertwee? Whereas Pertwee looked like he would smell fresh, Baker's attire gave him an instant musty air. This is a turn off for me.

Peter Davison is conventially good looking with a soft face and a schoolboy esque haircut. He is the kind of man you would enjoy a cosy meal with, the kind of man who wouldn't overstep the mark. While good looking, he does lack the edge and bad boy factor though which makes him all too safe. The kind of man you would end up cheating on.

Colin Baker has a great physical presence about him. Strong manly features and a confidence which would draw you in. His height adds stature, but is let down by the curly blonde hair. Had it been cropped and spikey like the twins from Bros and he had been clad in denim, he would have been a real heartthrob.

Sylvester McCoy is a curious one. Not instantly attractiveness, but he does have a certain something. The way he scampers about in an animal like way is cute and he brings an understated sensuality to the role.

Paul McGann is effortlessly sexy. Dashing in a Mr Darcy way. He merely has to glide into a room for the pulses to start racing.

Christopher Eccleston brings a bad boy charm to the role. Although not facially overwhelming, his attire and cropped hair give him the edge that makes him desirable.

David Tennant is a good looking man, fine hair, good build, atheletic and confident to go with it. But this is all too obvious. He needed some flaws, like a hooked nose or wandering eye. When someone is so perfect, one starts to look for faults that aren't there which can be dangerous.

Matt Smith might be lanky and gangly, but he has luxurious hair and a beautifully sculptured face which would win over any model agency, This Doctor manages to recapture some of the dandy appeal of Pertwee. His slightly camp nature makes him more accessible for males too.

Which one of them had the largest wand?