• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linkin Park!
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    ... but the op does make a reasonable case for the quality that was around in the early 00's..

I would consider most of the OP's choices as pop rather than rock.
    McFly!!! Limp Bizkit!!! Wheatus!!!
    Do me a favour and plug me into a SEGA:cool:
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

fully agree, but the gist of the thread was championing the 00's esp the early 00's. personally it was my fav era for rock, i think there was alot of quality rock around then and i prefered that era to the 'golden age' which i lived through!
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones I am particularly pleased you have listed are :

Franz Ferdinand ~ Take Me Out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZGcw9HHOkU

The Kooks ~ She Moves in her own way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfajVDpGXM8

Mcfly ~ 5 Colours in her hair
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85H6BsvkIQ

Kings of Leon ~ Use Somebody
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgFeZa_I48

Coldplay ~ yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MwjX4dG72s

I shall look out for some others and list them later.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... but the op does make a reasonable case for the quality that was around in the early 00's..

MMmmm..I do like some of the OP's tracks (White Stripes and 30 Secs in particular and I am a great fan of Angels and Airwaves) but the 00s isn't a golden age. I wish it were.

From the golden age.....and it ain't all metal...

Black Sabbath (1970) - Paranoid

T.Rex (1971) - Get it On

Focus (1973) - Hocus Pocus

Led Zeppelin (1975) Black Dog

AC/DC (1977) Let There be Rock

Dr Feelgood (1975) Going Back Home

The Sex Pistols (1977) - Pretty Vacant

The Clash (1979) - London's Calling

Joy Division (1978) - Digital

Anvil (1982) - Metal on Metal

Lynyrd Skynyrd (1975) - Free Bird

The last song on it's own eclipses anything from the 00s.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    MMmmm..I do like some of the OP's tracks (White Stripes and 30 Secs in particular and I am a great fan of Angels and Airwaves) but the 00s isn't a golden age. I wish it were.

From the golden age.....and it ain't all metal...

Black Sabbath (1970) - Paranoid

T.Rex (1971) - Get it On

Focus (1973) - Hocus Pocus

Led Zeppelin (1975) Black Dog

AC/DC (1977) Let There be Rock

Dr Feelgood (1975) Going Back Home

The Sex Pistols (1977) - Pretty Vacant

The Clash (1979) - London's Calling

Joy Division (1978) - Digital

Anvil (1982) - Metal on Metal

Lynyrd Skynyrd (1975) - Free Bird

The last song on it's own eclipses anything from the 00s.......

but i guess its down to taste.... none of those tracks figure in my personal top ten... not even the sex pistols. quotsa beats them hands down with 'go with the flow' and 'no one knows'. white stripes, hives, system of a down, mars volta, him, transplants, deftones, the list goes on... are for me far superior...

was 00s a golden age in rock? no not really, i agree that the golden age was the 70's, but its easy to ignore the (early) 00's and for me...i loved it!
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO the peak lasted from 1963-1985/86
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Busted and McFly as rock bands. Aw, the OP's soooo sweet ! :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    You're always going to think the time of your youth is the golden age. For me that was the 90s.

Same for me. :)

I think there was some really great music around in the 90s.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Maybe this whole 'golden age' thing would generate a good debate on the PRATS page?

http://www.the-rock-forum.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Busted and McFly as rock bands. Aw, the OP's soooo sweet ! :D

i can see where the confusion came from..

when busted then mcfly started charting, they were the first guitar pop groups to do so for some time. watermans manufactured rubbish had stole the 'pop' mantle in the late 80's, so when busted in 02 first charted they were a novelty for the young. they had to be rock didnt they? after all they cant be pop because they were nothing like s club, steps, 5ive, etc.

but nope, they were just good old fashioned guitar based pop.... and good for them! it made a refreshing change to see a group of young lads bashing hell out of their instruments, having fun, performing live, and this appealled to a new generation, arguably too young for 'real' rock, but busted and mcfly popularised guitar pop for a new young generation...the same generation that went on to embrace the indie and rock scenes of the mid 00's.

good for them! give me a busted or mcfly ove a manufactured 'act' anyday.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

when busted then mcfly started charting, they were the first guitar pop groups to do so for some time. watermans manufactured rubbish had stole the 'pop' mantle in the late 80's, so when busted in 02 first charted they were a novelty for the young. they had to be rock didnt they? after all they cant be pop because they were nothing like s club, steps, 5ive, etc.

but nope, they were just good old fashioned guitar based pop.... and good for them! it made a refreshing change to see a group of young lads bashing hell out of their instruments, having fun, performing live, and this appealled to a new generation, arguably too young for 'real' rock, but busted and mcfly popularised guitar pop for a new young generation...the same generation that went on to embrace the indie and rock scenes of the mid 00's.

You had bands like Jimmy Eat World, the return of Weezer in the charts in 2001.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm into older rock and metal, the 80's glam era and 70's classic being my favorites but Busted were an exceptional band.

Sure you can't really call them rock in the strictest sense of the word, but they played there own instruments, wrote there own songs, played live and had managed to catch both pop and rock fans and enjoyed number 1 singles. It always annoyed me that Charlie tried/s to distance himself from Busted as I would be immenseley proud if I'd acheived that level of success. Boy bands like 5ive claimed to be "rock" and even had a bona fida rock legend in Brian May feature on We Will Rock You, yet musically Busted wiped the floor with them.

As for the actual debate, the 00's were nowhere near the golden age of rock. The 70's take that crown, but there were a good few bands in the decade which did rock, certainly more than in the 90's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You had bands like Jimmy Eat World, the return of Weezer in the charts in 2001.

... and?.... they were american pop but failed to connect with the uk kids the way busted and mc fly did. (abit like the ramones failed to inspire punks the way the sex pistols did here)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    I'm into older rock and metal, the 80's glam era and 70's classic being my favorites but Busted were an exceptional band.

Sure you can't really call them rock in the strictest sense of the word, but they played there own instruments, wrote there own songs, played live and had managed to catch both pop and rock fans and enjoyed number 1 singles. It always annoyed me that Charlie tried/s to distance himself from Busted as I would be immenseley proud if I'd acheived that level of success. Boy bands like 5ive claimed to be "rock" and even had a bona fida rock legend in Brian May feature on We Will Rock You, yet musically Busted wiped the floor with them.

As for the actual debate, the 00's were nowhere near the golden age of rock. The 70's take that crown, but there were a good few bands in the decade which did rock, certainly more than in the 90's.

yeah, i dont particually like busted or mcfly (well mcfly had a few good tracks) but i like what they did for british music. i was brought up on guitar bands playing pop/rock from the 60's to the 80's. i liked seeing busted and mcfly embracing the older styles and popularising it with a new generation.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... and?.... they were american pop but failed to connect with the uk kids the way busted and mc fly did (abit like the ramones failed to inspire punks the way the sex pistols did here)

Try telling that to a good third of my school back in the early 00s! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member

Yep, totally! And the kids who were in to Busted were just the same kind of kids who would have been in to any other boyband, now't to do with them playing their own instruments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, totally! And the kids who were in to Busted were just the same kind of kids who would have been in to any other boyband, now't to do with them playing their own instruments.

I'd say that was true of the people I knew too, it was only pop fans who liked Busted and McFly (or who admitted to it anyway!).
  • Options
    marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Do me a favour and plug me into a SEGA:cool:

If there is a case for there being important rock music produced in the 00s, then I would expect a list to include Slipknot, Strapping Young Lad, Papa Roach, Paramour.and the heavier modern metal music which does have a certain edge rather than Busted and McFly who are more pop than rock!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well my kids were young teenagers ten years ago, we had street parties for bonfire night, new years, the sake of it, where several of us parents got together to provide great big parties for our kids.

i also work in schools.

so from my experience it wasnt the likes of weezer that inspired the young back then. it was busted, then mcfly, whos chart success vastly eclipsed the american lot.

busted were a pop group, not a boyband.

blue, 5ive, n sync, backstreet boys, = boybands.
    busted, mcfly, weezer, wheatus, = pop groups.

they cannot be generically compared, a bunch of manufactured pretty boy puppets arent the same as a group of musicians who write, compose, create, play live, their instruments.

the evolution in taste from groups like mc fly and busted, to the rasmus, razorlight, kaisers, etc etc etc is pretty obvious and one i witnessed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well my kids were young teenagers ten years ago, we had street parties for bonfire night, new years, the sake of it, where several of us parents got together to provide great big parties for our kids.

i also work in schools.

so from my experience it wasnt the likes of weezer that inspired the young back then. it was busted, then mcfly, whos chart success vastly eclipsed the american lot.

Then what I said is just as valid as what you're saying, if all either of us are going on is personal experience. Weezer (who I wouldn't class as "pop" myself), JEW, etc. weren't big or inspirational to the teenagers in your area but they were to the people I knew at that age. Neither of us is right or wrong then, we just have a different set of experiences of that time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then what I said is just as valid as what you're saying, if all either of us are going on is personal experience. Weezer (who I wouldn't class as "pop" myself), JEW, etc. weren't big or inspirational to the teenagers in your area but they were to the people I knew at that age. Neither of us is right or wrong then, we just have a different set of experiences of that time.

... but id point to chart success as to which experience is more likely to reflect national opinion. plus with busted and mcfly being brits, they gigged more here, id suggest their popularity here was far greater then the american acts and thus their impact and influence.

i do liken it to the punk explosion... american groups like the ramones, stooges, nyd, were creating the punk sound long before the sex pistols... but that american style didnt quite take off , it was the pistols that connected with british youth... id suggest thats a similar thing to what happened here with guitar pop. after all you had hanson in the late 90's, along with weezer, who had been charting (not 1 top ten) since 95. so i cant see that it was these acts that inspired 'our' indie explosion much, in the mid 00's. they were 'old hat' by the time indie became popular in 04.

(please note im not saying they had no influence on indie or young people in the early 00's... just less then 'our' groups)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... but id point to chart success as to which experience is more likely to reflect national opinion. plus with busted and mcfly being brits, they gigged more here, id suggest their popularity here was far greater then the american acts and thus their impact and influence.

i do liken it to the punk explosion... american groups like the ramones, stooges, nyd, were creating the punk sound long before the sex pistols... but that american style didnt quite take off , it was the pistols that connected with british youth... id suggest thats a similar thing to what happened here with guitar pop. after all you had hanson in the late 90's, along with weezer, who had been charting (not 1 top ten) since 95. so i cant see that it was these acts that inspired 'our' indie explosion in the mid 00's. they were 'old hat' by the time indie became popular in 04.

In general, I'm sure you're right :) But I was only talking about what my friends and the people I knew in my area were into, rather than "national opinion" - I can't speak for anyone else at all.

Chart positions meant little to nothing in regards to what we listened to, and found ourselves inspired by. I can't speak for people of different ages in different parts of the country, just my experiences of those bands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In general, I'm sure you're right :) But I was only talking about what my friends and the people I knew in my area were into, rather than "national opinion" - I can't speak for anyone else at all.

Chart positions meant little to nothing in regards to what we listened to, and found ourselves inspired by. I can't speak for people of different ages in different parts of the country, just my experiences of those bands.

well chart positions reflect popularity, ( not perhaps quality though..lol.). but just look at busteds chart runs, in 14 months they had 5 top ten hits, 2 of which were #1s.

i know its not cool to praise the likes of busted, but that sort of success just before the interest in indie (or guitar pop as id prefer to call it...lol), was no accident. i saw 12-14 year olds in 02 discovering guitar music via busted graduating to more adult styles of guitar music (indie) by 04-06 .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well chart positions reflect popularity, ( not perhaps quality though..lol.). but just look at busteds chart runs, in 14 months they had 5 top ten hits, 2 of which were #1s.

i know its not cool to praise the likes of busted, but that sort of success just before the interest in indie (or guitar pop as id prefer to call it...lol), was no accident. i saw 12-14 year olds in 02 discovering guitar music via busted graduating to more adult styles of guitar music (indie) by 04-06 .

I'm not disputing that, I'm sure Busted and Weezer's chart positions do reflect their general popularity, just that I wasn't commenting in general terms.