Only 25 SL Reservations

simolasimola Posts: 313
Forum Member
This is starting to do my head in. Since installing v21 everything has been great, no issues other than missing the start of some programmes. What is doing my head in is the limit of only 25 SL reservations. It's just not enough.

We record everything we ever watch, even if we watch it real time, just in case circumstances change and we miss it. As more and more channel offer SL, this is going to become a much bigger issue.

I'd love to thing this limitation would be addressed.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    simola wrote: »
    This is starting to do my head in. Since installing v21 everything has been great, no issues other than missing the start of some programmes. What is doing my head in is the limit of only 25 SL reservations. It's just not enough.

We record everything we ever watch, even if we watch it real time, just in case circumstances change and we miss it. As more and more channel offer SL, this is going to become a much bigger issue.

Feel Lucky!

Until (i think) v.10 there was a limit of 20 recording slots full stop! We seem to record a fair bit of the 5 channels which don't have SL at present, so its not an issue for us ......yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simola wrote: »

Same here, I rarely watch anything real time but was unaware of the 25 SL reservations until hit it yesterday when I was changing my Five and Fiver recordings to series link:(
  • simolasimola Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    stephenbw wrote: »
    Same here, I rarely watch anything real time but was unaware of the 25 SL reservations until hit it yesterday when I was changing my Five and Fiver recordings to series link:(

Thats two of us then :rolleyes:

It really is an issue if your going to get the best out of this kit.

Still does my head in though :)
  • CyberSimianCyberSimian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    If one Hummy does not record enough TV for you to watch, there is a very simple solution -- buy a second Hummy!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    An alternate solution ... if you do require so many reservations ... is to sell your 9200*** and buy one of the Topfield PVRs ... I think that would be more cost effective. :rolleyes::):rolleyes:
    If one Hummy does not record enough TV for you to watch, there is a very simple solution -- buy a second Hummy!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I tend to use series link for shows whose start times vary. If I'm recording something that I know for sure is on at the same time every week then I set it up as a weekly record and manually pad if necessary.

I'm not quite sure where they came up with the magic 25 number. Seems like an odd limitation!
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doncool wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure where they came up with the magic 25 number. Seems like an odd limitation!
    The most plausible explanation that I have heard suggests that the limit is because of the amount of processing required.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And how would you control the 2nd Hummy (only one remote control channel) ?
  • CyberSimianCyberSimian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    And how would you control the 2nd Hummy (only one remote control channel) ?
    You use a programmable universal remote control that can control devices by both infra red (IR) and radio frequency (RF).

You program the remote control to operate one Hummy directly via IR only, and operate the other Hummy via RF only. For the latter you also need a receiver unit that receives the RF and converts the signals into IR that is emitted via a small emitter unit that you stick to the front of the second Hummy. In this way both Hummies can be in the same room, but each can be controlled independently. If you want, you could put both Hummies in a cupboard and operate both via RF.

I believe that the most expensive Logitech unit can do this, but I was not keen on the styling, so I went for the Universal Remote Control Inc (that's a US company) "Aeros 850" remote control, plus "MRF 250" receiver unit (about £120 and £40 respectively from Ebay).

The Aeros 850 can control up to a total of 20 devices, and you program it using a very slick Windows application. The MRF 250 can support 6 devices (and you can use more than one MRF 250 if you need to control more than 6 devices via RF).

Universal Remote Control Inc can be found here:

http://www.universalremote.com/

Be advised that they have not been without controversy in the last couple of years, due to a change in their support policy. The following is a good site for discussions of remote controls, where you can find out more about this:

http://www.remotecentral.com/