Three upgrade hell

JJHamsterJJHamster Posts: 38
Forum Member
I have been with three for just over 2 years and as such am due for an upgrade so, 10 days ago, I ordered (online) a Galaxy note 3 on the “one plan”. The price shown on the my3 upgrade page was an upfront charge of £99, a £4.99 delivery charge and a monthly charge of £33 - I found this acceptable so went ahead. All these details were confirmed by an “Online upgrade confirmation” email which showed a phone delivery date of the 21st of October. The next day I received an email from Responsefrom3 saying “We’re really sorry but your new phone is currently out of stock and unfortunately we’re not expecting it to be back in stock”. I phoned the upgrade department who told me that the phone is in stock but the monthly charge is now £38 not £33. When I queried this I was told that the £33 figure on my “Online upgrade confirmation” did not include tax (although the upfront charge of £99 and £4.99 delivery charge did). Obviously 20% VAT does not result in £33 becoming £38 so I pointed this out. I was passed on to someone else who said this must have been an offer which I had applied for too late – but I had the order confirmation.
Since then I have called and left messages on numerous occasions, I have forwarded them back the confirmation they sent me, spent an eternity on hold listening to music and talking to many very polite yet very unhelpful people. Currently they seem to suspect that the confirmation email I was sent is not bona fide and they require time to investigate (the implication being that I am dishonest).
Meanwhile my online account is showing I have actually upgraded my contract and the note 3 will be delivered next week - the call centre however, say it is impossible that my online account could show this!
I am currently not in the best of health and could really do without the stress this is causing. I am therefore tempted to forget the new phone and just go a sim only deal – but I can’t because my account is locked up with the upgrade.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get me out of this mess?

Comments

• sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Good old three

Good network
    Great pricing
    Diabolically appalling customer service
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contact the executive office and explain this and send them all the confirmations you received and see what happens, if not just cancel it and go elsewhere
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    three lol

customer service is p** poor
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJHamster wrote: »
    I have been with three for just over 2 years and as such am due for an upgrade so, 10 days ago, I ordered (online) a Galaxy note 3 on the “one plan”. The price shown on the my3 upgrade page was an upfront charge of £99, a £4.99 delivery charge and a monthly charge of £33 - I found this acceptable so went ahead. All these details were confirmed by an “Online upgrade confirmation” email which showed a phone delivery date of the 21st of October. The next day I received an email from Responsefrom3 saying “We’re really sorry but your new phone is currently out of stock and unfortunately we’re not expecting it to be back in stock”. I phoned the upgrade department who told me that the phone is in stock but the monthly charge is now £38 not £33. When I queried this I was told that the £33 figure on my “Online upgrade confirmation” did not include tax (although the upfront charge of £99 and £4.99 delivery charge did). Obviously 20% VAT does not result in £33 becoming £38 so I pointed this out. I was passed on to someone else who said this must have been an offer which I had applied for too late – but I had the order confirmation.
    Since then I have called and left messages on numerous occasions, I have forwarded them back the confirmation they sent me, spent an eternity on hold listening to music and talking to many very polite yet very unhelpful people. Currently they seem to suspect that the confirmation email I was sent is not bona fide and they require time to investigate (the implication being that I am dishonest).
    Meanwhile my online account is showing I have actually upgraded my contract and the note 3 will be delivered next week - the call centre however, say it is impossible that my online account could show this!
    I am currently not in the best of health and could really do without the stress this is causing. I am therefore tempted to forget the new phone and just go a sim only deal – but I can’t because my account is locked up with the upgrade.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to get me out of this mess?
    thats one of the reasons why i dont like ordering phones online....its better to get the contract from the actual three shop
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    thats one of the reasons why i dont like ordering phones online....its better to get the contract from the actual three shop

I'd never trust a salesmen in a store working off commission at all. They lie to everyone to get sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I'd never trust a salesmen in a store working off commission at all. They lie to everyone to get sales.

so you recommend getting a contract online?
    do you think its better?
    Forum Member
    so you recommend getting a contract online?
    do you think its better?

Neither. I just recommend doing your research before you know what you're buying. I know in this particular case the OP is not at fault at all and it's Three who've messed up. But i prefer to do my own research before talking to anyone/signing up. Whether that be online or instore or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither. I just recommend doing your research before you know what you're buying. I know in this particular case the OP is not at fault at all and it's Three who've messed up. But i prefer to do my own research before talking to anyone/signing up. Whether that be online or instore or whatever.

Once you have made your mind up, whats better......online or in store?
    Forum Member
    Once you have made your mind up, whats better......online or in store?

Over the phone.
  • dephanix02dephanix02 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Over the phone.

+1 definitely.
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the phone.

Why over the phone? Is it safer you think?
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dephanix02 wrote: »
    +1 definitely.

Why over the phone?
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I'd much rather go into the store myself. I've been caught out over the phone before so never again for me.
    I don't get this comment by jabbamk1 about commission by those that work in store as those at the end of the phone will be on commission too.
    As long as you know what you want in the first place and don't get swayed by what a salesman thinks then surely there shouldn't be any issues.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

No they don't. I often find I know more than they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I'd much rather go into the store myself. I've been caught out over the phone before so never again for me.
    I don't get this comment by jabbamk1 about commission by those that work in store as those at the end of the phone will be on commission too.
    As long as you know what you want in the first place and don't get swayed by what a salesman thinks then surely there shouldn't be any issues.

what happened
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    what happened

It was one of those situations where I was led to believe that I was talking to Three, committed to a contract which I later found out to be was for 3 years.
    I went into my local Three store to enquire about it, they looked at my account and found that it was a subsidiary of Carphone Warehouse who at the time used a name that sounded like Three when spoken, but they said there was nothing they could do about it.
    So ever since I've not done anything over the phone other than if I ever need to talk to customer services which is hardly ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    It was one of those situations where I was led to believe that I was talking to Three, committed to a contract which I later found out to be was for 3 years.
    I went into my local Three store to enquire about it, they looked at my account and found that it was a subsidiary of Carphone Warehouse who at the time used a name that sounded like Three when spoken, but they said there was nothing they could do about it.
    So ever since I've not done anything over the phone other than if I ever need to talk to customer services which is hardly ever.

Ahh i see....
    its best to go into a three shop at take it out there.....
    the benefits of online is that you can cancel in 7 days
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »
    Why over the phone?

Distance selling kicks in. If yer not happy send it back within 2 weeks. And you are told everything you need to know about delivery, contract etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    battlezone wrote: »
    Distance selling kicks in. If yer not happy send it back within 2 weeks. And you are told everything you need to know about delivery, contract etc.

isnt that the same online?
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    battlezone wrote: »

2 weeks?

Three policy is 7 days ain't it?
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    2 weeks?

Three policy is 7 days ain't it?

No! Try reading the 3 website before posting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Distance selling is a nightmare with Three.... if you read through the T&C they have for returns ...

In other words if you have made a single call, sent a single texts or viewed a single page online then you cannot send it back for any reason at all!

Below are the T&C from the Three site....

Changed your mind?
    We always hope you’re happy with your new device but just in case you’re not, here’s how you can return or exchange it.

Just make sure you keep your proof of purchase and receipt with you. And where we give a refund, it’ll be the same form as the original payment.

We offer a “one-off exchange” in 3Store, and a 14 days exchange or return in Three.co.uk or Three Telesales.

The very important bit.

If you return or exchange your device it must be in its original condition and packaging, exactly as you got it. If you haven’t got all the original packaging for any reason, tell the advisor when you’re arranging your return and they’ll send you packing equipment and instructions if necessary. If you don’t return your device in “as new” and “unused” condition, then we will need to charge for any missing or damaged pieces. Please refer to the table below. For hygiene reasons this includes any headsets where the packaging that been opened or had the seal broken.

Please make sure you package your device exactly as the advisor asks you to. You’re responsible for the device until we receive it, and Royal Mail may destroy incorrectly packed devices.

In some cases we won’t be able to offer an exchange or return.

When we say “as new” we mean:

The device, packaging, manual, all accessories and any free gifts that came with the device are all undamaged and don’t have any marks on them.

When we say “unused” we mean:

You’ve not made or received any calls (voice or video), sent or received any texts (unless from Three), or been on the internet with your device (excludes syncing as part of the switching on process). For Apple devices, you’ll also need to make sure you’ve not removed the cellophane wrapping.
    Forum Member
    dangetti wrote: »
    Distance selling is a nightmare with Three.... if you read through the T&C they have for returns ...

In other words if you have made a single call, sent a single texts or viewed a single page online then you cannot send it back for any reason at all!

If it's faulty, or if it's mis sold then you can.
  • JJHamsterJJHamster Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Today's three 'call on hold' music cycle is -
    - Diamonds
    - Could this be love
    - Get Lucky
    - Build me up Buttercup
    Repeat ad nauseum
    I definitely know all the words now.
  • richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    three network its the worst network ive been on would never go back, yes they might have fast 3g internet but that is useless when the only way i can make a call is to stand still if im in the car a short 5 mile trip and it will cut out 5+ times !!