Options

Downgrade to freesat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
Hi,
I want to get rid of my sky subscription, so want to go back to freesat from Sky, we haven't had it for a few years, so I wondered if anyone could tell me whether I'll still be able to access the on demand Iplayer/ itv, ch 4 etc.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annseer wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to get rid of my sky subscription, so want to go back to freesat from Sky, we haven't had it for a few years, so I wondered if anyone could tell me whether I'll still be able to access the on demand Iplayer/ itv, ch 4 etc.
    Thanks

Unfortunately thats a no if you are using a Sky box and getting FreeSat from Sky, as no sub = no recording abilities, except if you pay £10.75 a month for just the Sky plus part, which would mean you could record the free channels and you would get iplayer only as I understand it.
    If you want to pay nothing per month then get a freesat HD freetime box, as you can record the free channels and get BBC iplayer, ITVplayer, 4OD (although I think they renamed that) and Demand 5.
    Oh and the freesat box would plug in to the satellite dish cables just like your current Sky box does now.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Unfortunately thats a no if you are using a Sky box and getting FreeSat from Sky, as no sub = no recording abilities, except if you pay £10.75 a month for just the Sky plus part, which would mean you could record the free channels and you would get iplayer only as I understand it.
    If you want to pay nothing per month then get a freesat HD freetime box, as you can record the free channels and get BBC iplayer, ITVplayer, 4OD (although I think they renamed that) and Demand 5.
    Oh and the freesat box would plug in to the satellite dish cables just like your current Sky box does now.

Under circumstances like that where recording and iPlayers are required, the logical thing to do would seem to be to go out and buy a BBC/ITV Freesat branded Freetime box or go for cheaper connected-only boxes for the iPlayers but without any recording facility: http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under circumstances like that where recording and iPlayers are required, the logical thing to do would seem to be to go out and buy a BBC/ITV Freesat branded Freetime box or go for cheaper connected-only boxes for the iPlayers but without any recording facility: http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime

I did say about a freesat freetime box but thanks for providing the link Im sure the OP will find that useful!
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »

BiB
    Yes, to be rebranded 'ALL4' from 2015
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    BiB
    Yes, to be rebranded 'ALL4' from 2015

It's a shame, they have a good brand with 4OD. All4 seems a bit crap in comparison, less obvious what it is and doesn't seems as natural to say. A pointless change in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nsewell wrote: »
    It's a shame, they have a good brand with 4OD. All4 seems a bit crap in comparison, less obvious what it is and doesn't seems as natural to say. A pointless change in my opinion.

ALL4 is actually a very simple idea and works well when you think about it.
    ALL4 means 'All Things Channel4'
    4OD is very limited in naming, its only 'On Demand' which doesn't necessarily associate itself with the live streams also available on the site. Most only think its catchup so i can fully see where 4 are coming from on it.

4OD has served the 4 family well but you have to continue to evolve to make things attractive and keep the traffic to the site coming so the ad revenue is up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is when you have an established brand and try to change it people usually end up calling it by it's previous name, it's hard to change.

My nana's only just stopped calling Virgin media Comcast. She's moved onto NTL now.

My dad often gets the Jif out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing is when you have an established brand and try to change it people usually end up calling it by it's previous name, it's hard to change.

My nana's only just stopped calling Virgin media Comcast. She's moved onto NTL now.

My dad often gets the Jif out.

Comcast..... The only one i know of is the American cable, BB & phone provider so im guessing its going back some years no?

I know people that do that too, but the vast majority will move with the name.

I do miss JIF though.... And Opal Fruits :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was the American Comcast, they had 2 areas in the UK, they sold out to NTL in 1998. There's lots of Comcast sockets still in houses here.

Don't forget marathon bars :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it was the American Comcast, they had 2 areas in the UK, they sold out to NTL in 1998. There's lots of Comcast sockets still in houses here.

Don't forget marathon bars :)

I remember when i was a lad....... :D

I never knew Comcast had 2 regions in the UK.
    Learn something new everyday :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Thankyou all for your replies, it was just a thought about being able to keep on demand, hubby and kids are fussy, we have a foxsat pvr, but they don't like the buttons /controls as much as sky, it's just so nice and easy to use, I said we wouldn't need recording if we could access I players etc, we already have Netflix and Apple TV so can stream anything to tv... Why they're all hung up on keeping sky I don't know!!!:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    annseer wrote: »
    Thankyou all for your replies, it was just a thought about being able to keep on demand, hubby and kids are fussy, we have a foxsat pvr, but they don't like the buttons /controls as much as sky, it's just so nice and easy to use, I said we wouldn't need recording if we could access I players etc, we already have Netflix and Apple TV so can stream anything to tv... Why they're all hung up on keeping sky I don't know!!!:confused:

If you don't use it, then axe it. Kids will get over it and the hubby too.
    Not to mention if you have a Foxsat HDR then you'll get BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD etc on that so they'll deal with it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention if you have a Foxsat HDR then you'll get BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD etc on that so they'll deal with it :)

Thats very true they will have to get used to using a different system, Im sure they will over time.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it will be streamed, so no cutting out the ads on 4OD and ITV Player (there aren't any via Sky) and no HD (on 4OD and Demand5).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    But it will be streamed, so no cutting out the ads on 4OD and ITV Player (there aren't any via Sky) and no HD (on 4OD and Demand5).

Its annoying I'll grant, but I suppose you get what you pay for with the commercial channels, ITV, C4 and C5 I suppose only have a PSB remit for their main channel not the catch up service, unless that is changed by legislation like the HD versions of ITV, C4 and C5, which I feel should all be classed as PSB.
    So I guess its pay Sky for a better on demand service, which you need a TV sub, preferably Family pack if you want more than Iplayer, or Sky+ for £10.75 with just iplayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

No HD on ITV either as they don't offer it on any platform including their website