Options

Michael Collings contradicting himself in interivews

spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems he can't get his (sob) story straight. yesterday he said:
Clearly keen to make his living arrangements clear to Britain’s Got Talent fans, Collings continued: “My mum and dad wanted a quiet life so that’s why they moved to the *caravan complex about last year. They still work and have full-time jobs. They just wanted to get out of the busy city.

“I’ve never even seen Big Fat Gypsy *Weddings, so I don’t really know what *everyone is talking about.”
http://talent.tellymix.co.uk/2011/news/29713-i-don%E2%80%99t-want-viewers-thinking-im-a-gypsy-says-got-talent-hopeful-michael-collings.html

But today he said:
Sarah is up for a big wedding. We watched Big Fat Gypsy Weddings. Who wouldn't want a wedding like that - although I'm not sure about the huge dresses!
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/britain_got_talent/3532144/Eye-popping-Antonio-Popeye-Francis-passes-Britains-Got-Talent-auditions.html

Not that I care one way or another that he's watched the show, but it's strange how in one interview he's playing down the whole "gypsy" angle and in another playing up to it. Sounds like he'll say whatever the papers want to hear to get him in them

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's on Daybreak now, with his fiancee Sarah and baby Jamie.

No elaborations of the sob story though!
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen anything in the papers but one thing I know Michael was great on saturday night. It wasn't only the way he sang Fast Car but the way he accompanied himself on guitar was marvellous. He is an excellent guitar player. A really first class musician. He doesn't need any sob stories his talent speaks for itself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to make myself really unpopular but I don't really get the hype. To me he was just some guy with a guitar. Yeah he was good, but no more remarkable than any other busker.

Has the nation really been that amazed or is this the media trying to ram its latest underdog our throats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to him again. Listen to him accompanying himself as well. He's not just strumming along when he's singing but playing the guitar beautifully.He's got a really nice voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB98dcWkQqA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree he's good but he's no more remarkable than many others I have heard and unfortunately in most cases forgot.

Unfortunately I do not feel that the hype has been built up entirely by his talent.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched his video on YouTube... I honestly felt a good bit underwhelmed, especially after the glowing reports and hype surrounding his audition. Nothing special IMHO. Good voice but certainly not amazing. I predict the usual plebs will get him as far as the final 12 but he certainly won't win.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........I'm afraid this show is all about hype .........that and the death of standing ovations having any value of course ( i.e everybody gets one)
    Clearly Michael is trying to take the Subo ( unlikely looking star etc) route but he is far from the finished article and has a nice sound that he needs to learn how to use if he is going to sell an album.Maybe the trick will be that he transforms into something other than a tracksuit tramp by the time of the next round too.
    Generally I am finding this stage of the BGT annoying, chavvy and cynically manipulative ( anyone with any sense knows that every act that makes it to the screen has already been pre selected so why all the surprise etc) and I am hating myself for even watching it and can't answer the question as to why I am watching it..........will probably come back again for the stages where the genuine talent gets involved rather than watching borderline psychiatric cases being indulged and/or patronised by Ant and Dec.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I don't get the hype either. Imo, he just has an average voice - nothing special.
  • Options
    TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's good, but American Idol jumped the gun on this one when Lee DeWyze won that show. Michael Collings is in the exact same market, and DeWyze's album absolutely bombed.

And anyway, his target market is waiting for "scruffy real musician" Matt Cardle's album.

He's good, but not a winner.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hes not good, he wont win, so just go away.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but I don't get the hype either. Imo, he just has an average voice - nothing special.

My view too. :(
  • Options
    aussie_dave_aussie_dave_ Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm probably going to make myself really unpopular but I don't really get the hype. To me he was just some guy with a guitar. Yeah he was good, but no more remarkable than any other busker.

Has the nation really been that amazed or is this the media trying to ram its latest underdog our throats?

Finally someone notices that the Emperor doesnt have any clothes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed his performance but to me he was no better than all 77,000 blokes who sing with a guitar in that style. But, having said that they aren't on BGT are they?!
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Maybe he watched it in between those interviews?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

absolutely agree with you, he was the best of a very bad bunch, and he is talking about how he is going to to buy his parents a house and another one for him and his fiancee
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

100% agree. I thought he was good, but nothing amazing and it didn't know who people were talking about when people mentioned 'the male subo' and the talking point of the show was a young man and his guitar. I was just like :confused: he was good, but nothing to rave about. I don't care about his back story either - He could be the son of millionaires, or orphaned as a young boy going from foster carer to foster carer - it wouldn't bother me in the slightist.

And I don't believe half the people that say SuBo's first audition was amazing, most people don't listen to that kind of music and I don't understand the big deal with her either.

The Susan Boyle effect is getting very tiresome! :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen anything in the papers but one thing I know Michael was great on saturday night. It wasn't only the way he sang Fast Car but the way he accompanied himself on guitar was marvellous. He is an excellent guitar player. A really first class musician. He doesn't need any sob stories his talent speaks for itself.

No better and a whole lot worse than the bilge that's been winning American Idol for a couple of years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    No better and a whole lot worse than the bilge that's been winning American Idol for a couple of years.

I certainly liked him and thought he was good. But if other's on this thread thought he wasn't then would you like to tell me who was good on Saturday's night's show?
  • Options
    aussie_dave_aussie_dave_ Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly liked him and thought he was good. But if other's on this thread thought he wasn't then would you like to tell me who was good on Saturday's night's show?

There was not one single act that made me slightly think we might have a winner on our hands.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That fella that could push his eyes forward, there's a woman in the guinness book of records that can do that, so his act's not original.
  • Options
    tommygunnertommygunner Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was not one single act that made me slightly think we might have a winner on our hands.

I felt the same.

And it was absolutely appalling that the handbell couple were given three yeses.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt the same.

And it was absolutely appalling that the handbell couple were given three yeses.

The same goes for the dancing grandad. They must surely just be aiming for early target numbers by putting him through. Sigh.
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw him as a fat Newton Faulkner without the dreadlocks and as good a voice, so nothing special about him, singing a rather boring version of a super song by Tracy Chapman.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    You lot are crazy, clearly the bell ringers are the greatest talent act in the history of all talent shows :p

Joking aside, I thought he was good, but just another person who will eventually be found out. The fact is that he needs to be seen again to really be judged. He did well with a song that clearly suited him and could hide any weakness that he actually had in his voice. It happened last year with a guy I cant remember the name of, pretty decent first audition and people had hope, got to the live stages and performed his own song and bombed big time with one of the worst singing performances in the shows history. I can see this guy not being far from that, hyped big time at the start, only to show that if he really takes on a test of a song, he'll be found out.

Taking nothing away from the guy, because it's not like he was bad or anything, but I personally cant see him winning this show.
  • Options
    tommygunnertommygunner Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    You lot are crazy, clearly the bell ringers are the greatest talent act in the history of all talent shows :p

Joking aside, I thought he was good, but just another person who will eventually be found out. The fact is that he needs to be seen again to really be judged. He did well with a song that clearly suited him and could hide any weakness that he actually had in his voice. It happened last year with a guy I cant remember the name of, pretty decent first audition and people had hope, got to the live stages and performed his own song and bombed big time with one of the worst singing performances in the shows history. I can see this guy not being far from that, hyped big time at the start, only to show that if he really takes on a test of a song, he'll be found out.

Taking nothing away from the guy, because it's not like he was bad or anything, but I personally cant see him winning this show.

Another act last year who was pushed too hard (and too far, imo) was Janey Cutler. The show was obsessed with marketing her as the next Susan Boyle ('Nubo') but she clearly was not in Susan's league and at times appeared to be confused about what she was even doing on the programme.