Rock Radio North west (Manchester)

123457»

Comments

• wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Notice they've had a format change "To allow greater flexibility regarding the quantity of speech delivered by the station at peak time"

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/radio-ops/formats/rock-radio-mancs-2.pdf

Or to put it another way, they're cutting back on the amount of speech in Brakfast and Drive Time. Only surprised it's taken them this long to do it.
  • Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wirewolf wrote: »
    Or to put it another way, they're cutting back on the amount of speech in Brakfast and Drive Time. Only surprised it's taken them this long to do it.

Hope the station does't change to much, I like it as it is.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame its not on dab as well. as the signal is not as good as xfm for some reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not on DAB at all?
  • Anti PlaylistAnti Playlist Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me who is the name behind the voice Rock Radio's station ID's ( "Melody Maker does,nt exist anymore"..."106.2, no 106.1 that should do it" etc etc) Great voice.....
  • Matthew HardmanMatthew Hardman Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me who is the name behind the voice Rock Radio's station ID's ( "Melody Maker does,nt exist anymore"..."106.2, no 106.1 that should do it" etc etc) Great voice.....

That'll be the great voice of Nick Coady.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it not on DAB at all?

Not in Manchester, but it is in Yorkshire, South Wales and The North East.
  • Anti PlaylistAnti Playlist Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the info re Nick Coady.
  • Phil HenryPhil Henry Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Shame its not on dab as well. as the signal is not as good as xfm for some reason.

I have it from a good source that this may well get looked into in the new year by Arqiva...;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the Manchester mutiplex ? any more info please ?:)
  • Mark LevyMark Levy Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    It would make sense I think to replace The Arrow on the North-West multiplex with Rock Radio. Better with something fresh than the same songs over and over again. I don't think anyone's been into those studios to update the computer for months now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope the station does't change to much, I like it as it is.

Bastards have only gone and sacked their best presenter, unbeleivable
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMG could replace Jazz FM with Rock, which would go down like a lead balloon, buy Global's The Arrow slot or is there space on CE Manchester?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bastards have only gone and sacked their best presenter, unbeleivable

Whos that then ?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Berry is no longer listed on the website (Mike Sweeney is on breakfast) although I don't know if this is recent or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    It's very recent. I think the new breakfast show starts next Tuesday. I listen to this every day to and from work, and there was certainly no suggestion of this when Berry was broadcasting before the Christmas break.
    Can anyone shed any light?
  • Phil HenryPhil Henry Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Manchester mutiplex ? any more info please ?:)

no, I'm talking about the FM signal...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very recent. I think the new breakfast show starts next Tuesday. I listen to this every day to and from work, and there was certainly no suggestion of this when Berry was broadcasting before the Christmas break.
    Can anyone shed any light?

Is this anything to do with the reduction in speech at the station? I imagine it could be a cost cutting measure as well. I did hear Steve Berry on talk Sport the other night.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine it could be a cost cutting measure as well.

Quite possibly, the format change request stated:

*An economics summary is attached as a confidential appendix
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite possibly, the format change request stated:

*An economics summary is attached as a confidential appendix

If the economics summary included getting rid of a high profile presenter, it's no wonder it was confidential.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Phil Henry wrote: »
    no, I'm talking about the FM signal...

I get it clearer than XFM and virtually as well as Galaxy in Southport so it seems to be getting out to the west OK.

Maybe Real Radio Yorkshire on 106.2 is causing interference in some areas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Is this anything to do with the reduction in speech at the station? I imagine it could be a cost cutting measure as well. I did hear Steve Berry on talk Sport the other night.

That makes sense in that context. I'm assuming Berry would have been one of the station's bigger earners?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That makes sense in that context. I'm assuming Berry would have been one of the station's bigger earners?

You'd imagine so, being a former TV presenter and all that.