Government urges cash machine charity donations!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expect more of this as the Government tries to shift the load to the "vountary" ie charity sector.

This.

Let Francis Maude and George Osborne stop using off shoring tax havens to avoid tax, then I might listen. Hypocrites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not always, some charities sit on a pretty large sum of money and a lot often gets wasted on admin.

True. But if we all used that as an excuse to not donate where would we be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JPDorsetDS wrote: »
    I know that - I was just saying why I won't take part in the proposed scheme in any way that doesn't give me control over where my money goes. :confused:

Ok. :o Sorry for being obtuse. :)
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    We give billions to foreign aid and some of it I can understand, some I can't. If they wanted to take my pound to send it to causes abroad, again they can get stuffed.

Charity begins at home.

Yeah - :D some local charites are starved of funds - bet they wont get it it'll be the ballet and opera or third world . Im not giving a penny and blow this round up a pound lark .I'll choose who i donate to when and where - Its a Contrick
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Again, you can choose the option of 'No'. Theres no obligation to anybody to donate to any charity but some people will, thats not a bad thing.

You've already decided this money will be going to some evil ''pen pusher'' whos going to buy Mugabi a new Limo....Would you feel better about it if you knew for a fact it would be going to some kittens?

Yes but only if it went to animals - but it wont so they can have nothing not a penny more .I dont want hassling at a cashpoint about charity as I go there to get money for myself only .Its just annoying.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not everyone can afford to give a pound. Charity is regressive- those who are more hard-up are donating much more of their income than those who aren't. So yeah should be an option to say no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not against donating, it's just i'd rather see money go to those who are really need it and are struggling than those who just sit on the money and throw it around on admin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    The National Lottery is the best way to give small amounts already anyway and you can win something as well.We were supposed to have a general choice of charities / box to be ticked etc - in the Lottery but this was quietly forgotten and the government has some say on the direction the money heads .Are they now trying for a second jackpot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Yes but only if it went to animals - but it wont so they can have nothing not a penny more .I dont want hassling at a cashpoint about charity as I go there to get money for myself only .Its just annoying.

It's not hassling, no more than asking if you want a receipt is hassling. Alls you have to do is press 'No'.

And whats with this ''only if it went to animals''??? :confused: Sorry thats another thread altogether, I'd be best to avoid that one I think.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Computer says no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Govt. introduce this now as an opt in scheme. How long

before it becomes opt out, and it automatically takes a

contribution unless you say no.
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    How anyone can be against this idea is beyond me. What's the problem? Someone politician gets to pick the charity? I don't think the Govt would put this into law and only have 1 charity get all the money, I'd assume you could either choose on screen or money would be split between a number of charities.

Besides your not going to be forced to give a donation when taking money out. All you have to do is press 'No' when it asks if you want to donate
  • JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Longer queues at cash machines as stupid people get confused by pressing buttons.

If those scum politicians spent tax money on important things instead of invading other countries there would be no need for charity.

Stupid idea for stupid people.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOEVILLE wrote: »
    Longer queues at cash machines as stupid people get confused by pressing buttons.

If those scum politicians spent tax money on important things instead of invading other countries there would be no need for charity.

Stupid idea for stupid people.

Stupid people voted for stupid politicians. :D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can do what they like. They'll still get nothing out of me.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer it if the donation was to pay off the national debt.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    So funding is reduced for charitable organisations, and then the government asks us to give more. Maybe they do have a conscience ;)

More seriously currently the less money you have the higher proportion of your income you give to charity. This model will just result in people with less money giving a little bit more and will barely dent those who are a lot better off and do little (or nothing) to aid charitable organisations. That is what they need to target. Or introduce a fresh range of tax breaks for donations to encourage those better off to donate. But why focus on the rich?
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member

Leaner, fitter, more effective charities ?
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a ridiculous idea. People in low tax countries often do this - the UK is not a low tax country.

When the government take ~25% of what I earn, soon to be 20% on what I spend on certain items, £1500 for council tax and then 40%+ on the fuel I use to travel to earn money to pay those taxes - they can go whistle.

Then above all, in order to pay these every increasing taxes and bills - I'm finding myself working longer with less free time for myself, certainly no free time for voluntary work.

If they want us to be more involved, then they need to learn how to use our tax better - or cut the taxes and let us decide.

They can't have both, certainly not from me.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    It's okay if you can choose the charity. Ebay do this at checkout, you can donate a £1 to your chosen charity.
    The cynic in me wonders if the government want us to give more to charity so they can cut more money to local groups in the hope that charitable donations will go toward making up the difference.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12085506

Is it a step in the right direction?

yer sure mayby?
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be donating any money at cashpoints. I prefer to give my money to who I choose when I want to, not be endlessly asked each time I use a machine.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly ridiculous

This seems like a really ill thought out plan/story.. I mean really, they would like everyone to donate 1% of the income.

I don't use the phrase 'nanny state' often, but my God the vibes from this are dreadful, the government should keep their beak out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of rounding up card payments.

Example you spend £5.80 on your card, you can round it up to £6 quid and the charity get 20p.

The issue I have is I am selective with who i donate to. I like to decide who benefits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    They have let the bankers off the hook so now the greedy ConDems are wanting pennies from poorer people.