References on Job Application

robtimusrobtimus Posts: 156
Forum Member
I'm trying to apply for a job online, but one of the fields required to submit an application are details of two references who will be contacted after a job offer is made.

I'm not sure on what the done thing is here. I know it's normally details of your current employer as one reference. In previous jobs, I've only been asked to supply the details after an offer is made, which gives me the opportunity to check the details with the referees, and to make sure they are happy for me to supply the details

As I am still employed currently, I'm not sure I want to alert the manager I am looking elsewhere as it may strain the working relationship we have. Also, the handbook states that all references must go through HR. So am I supposed to give details of the HR department, or do I give the managers details and they pass on as necessary?

Also, with the second reference from another previous employer, which details do I pass on? My manager there gave me a reference when I needed previously, but is no longer there. Do I just give details of the company/store HR department? Or can I use the details from someone who can comment on me professionally (teacher/lecturer/tutor?)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If all they want is previous employer(s), just give HR details - they'll only be expecting to get the basic confirmation that you worked there etc, and any employer would be expecting to give a reference once you've handed in your notice. If they wanted a personal reference they'd have specified.
  • robtimusrobtimus Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    For the previous role at a supermarket, do I give the stores details, or find the details for the Corporate HR office
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robtimus wrote: »
    For the previous role at a supermarket, do I give the stores details, or find the details for the Corporate HR office

HR. The store may not have records.

Also, I wouldn't worry about potential employers taking-up references before interview so no need to alert employers at this stage.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    HR. The store may not have records.

Also, I wouldn't worry about potential employers taking-up references before interview so no need to alert employers at this stage.

I kinda disagree with this, I wouldn't put someone down as a reference without asking first in case they say no. I'd mention to the manager you enjoy your job there but have considered looking at other places and mention you applied to this 1 place and would alert him in an informal way if possible rather than a big I'm leaving goodbye type thing.