Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure what camp I'm in 'cos I liked the ending but I also tend to think Ollie's alive and that the Russia scene was real .

So how is it possible that the child who answered the door looked *IDENTICAL* to the child in the computer generated e-fit picture in the paper showing what he might look like now?

Maybe Malik went to Russia and took a picture, having found out the truth LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    xendesktop wrote: »
    So how is it possible that the child who answered the door looked *IDENTICAL* to the child in the computer generated e-fit picture in the paper showing what he might look like now?

It depends by what method Tony arrived at that boy's door. He may have been searching for a boy that looked similar to the e-fit, which was in itself merely a guestimate of what Olly might possibly have looked like aged 13. It's clear that this is not the first time he has done this.

Surely the ending is more about Tony, than about whether the boy is Oliver?
  • Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends by what method Tony arrived at that boy's door. He may have been searching for a boy that looked similar to the e-fit, which was in itself merely a guestimate of what Olly might possibly have looked like aged 13. It's clear that this is not the first time he has done this.

Surely the ending is more about Tony, than about whether the boy is Oliver?

sure -- but have you seen the comparison? He wasn't just similar looking, he was the ACTUAL child. Which means only one thing.... the clues are there to reward those taking a very close interest in the programme. Hats off to them, really.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat 68 wrote: »
    Thank you, that's exactly as I saw it. Unfortunately people that didn't like the ending are starting to nit pick and imagine faults in the conclusion.

I for one am in the Emily camp. So I shall leave this brilliant programme behind and go off and get prepared for Christmas and leave this thread to those in the Tony camp who can't accept the ending for what it was and continue to pick at it and find fault with the ending. May you eventually find peace with the ending;-)

See you all sometime next year for The Missing 2.
    This is fiction, any criticism I have of the series is not down to emotion. it's based on flaws in the script, that's the price the writers pay if they are going to write a complicated script, things have to add up,especially at the end.
    My main criticism is not that Sylvie should have mentioned Alain taking the scarf to the Hughes, it's the last episode. 7 episodes of clues leaving far too much to explain in 1 hr final episode.
    A convenient unrealistic confession that explained all the facts, not enough time for the mayor to be questioned so he conveniently holding a shotgun when about to be arrested and shoots himself.
    All boiled down to finding a coin that proved nothing by a man who has 8 yrs to think of an excuse if ever questioned over this. only has to say, i wondered where i lost that, and nothing can be proved, yet he breaks down crying exposing his brother and breaking his wife's heart. am sure the writers have the ability to have wrote a more realistic ending but they just didn't allow themselves the time to do it.
    Like many people on here I have regularly watched TV series with intricate plots full of clues like Foyles war,etc, have not got one word of criticism for series like this.
    Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the series but will not be so enthusiastic for the next series and I will just treat as entertainment rather than a whodunit. if you cant see the flaws then fine, no problem
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    sure -- but have you seen the comparison? He wasn't just similar looking, he was the ACTUAL child.

...there's no proof it ...."was the actual child" as you put it.

As the other posters have mentioned, it makes sense that Tony is following up 'leads' of kids that would look similar to the e-fit. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    sure -- but have you seen the comparison? He wasn't just similar looking, he was the ACTUAL child. Which means only one thing.... the clues are there to reward those taking a very close interest in the programme. Hats off to them, really.

Yes, but the point is that the boy looks like a computer generated image of what they guess Olly might look like.

Olly might well not look like that at all, were he alive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Agree the boy looks exactly like the efit photo even down to the neckline , in the
    efit he has what looks like a roll neck on and so does the boy in Russia . That together
    with the wind blowing sequence before the final scene makes me think it was a Tony
    dream sequence . Or maybe not either way there's enough for them to resurrect the story if they ever chose to . Really enjoyed the final play out but a shame Olly survived after being knocked down after chasing a fox only to have his throat cut by Costel the
    Romanian . Best tv in a long time though .
  • Options
    Sclark78Sclark78 Posts: 156
    Forum Member

Maybe Malik went to Russia and took a picture, having found out the truth LOL

I think the boy in the last scene is in Tony's "imagination" and that in reality the boy doesn't look like that.
  • Options
    rc999rc999 Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Sclark78 wrote: »
    I think the boy in the last scene is in Tony's "imagination" and that in reality the boy doesn't look like that.

Praise the Lord. Somebody gets it. This ^
  • Options
    U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it and the 'twist' caught me out

Tony will never come to terms with it especially as Olly was in his care .

Didn't post very much but thanks to all who made this a great thread to read and made watching the program a whole lot better......:)

......even if you did lead me up some blind alleyways:p
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    There were a couple of imagined scenes from the previous episodes of "The Missing". Garrett re appeared from the dead on a boat in the Indian Ocean, so its entirely feasible that Tony imagined the whole boy in the doorway, but its up to the viewer to interpret the story. I think the writers left viewers will an intelligent ending.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't seen the comparison , do you have it ?
  • Options
    Sclark78Sclark78 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen the comparison , do you have it ?

It's a few pages back. I think Tony has obviously looked at that and that's the exact image he's gone searching for. He's probably gone to Romania and other countries and in each one sees one (in his mind) who looks similar to the E-Fit, but it never is...
  • Options
    Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    No he didn't, she had her back to him and was on the phone, her daughter said something like "what was that" and Sylvie said something along the lines of "it's just your dad muttering on". She never knew he had the scarf.

Yep. Just watched it again, and although he waves it at her and tells her where he's going, it's quite clear she's not paying attention.

Still can't believe people think Ollie was the kid in Russia, however much it's explained to them that Tony's gone completely mad and doesn't know what he's doing.

Plus the fact the copper says to the kid he's being doing this all over Russia, naming 4 or 5 different towns. And the reason the kid looks at the picture and Tony like he does is because a total lunatic has just turned up on his doorstep and he's obviously in complete shock! I mean how would you react?

Also, people going on about debris from the car after the accident. What you have to remember is that Georges was covering everything from the start to protect his brother, so even if a cop had found any evidence it was probably dismissed straight away.

Not trying to be a smart arse but just telling it how I see it :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    What made me chuckle was the comment that it must be the same kid as he was wearing a rollneck just like in the e-fit! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    What made me chuckle was the comment that it must be the same kid as he was wearing a rollneck just like in the e-fit! :D

Read it back you Plum , hence why it was Tony's fantasy .

https://mobile.twitter.com/oliverwpk/status/544988871315165184/photo/1
  • Options
    LoolabelleLoolabelle Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been reading this thread all through the series but wasn't able to watch the final part until last night and it's taken me forever to read through the forty-odd pages of comments! My initial thoughts are that it was a fantastic drama. I'm not a fan of James Nesbitt but when Olly's fate was gradually revealed during the questioning of Alain, I felt so engrossed in Tony and Emily's grief that I found it quite emotional. And of all the theories mentioned on here throughout the series, the fact that no posters suggested the possibility of it being a drunk driver accident is a tribute to the writers. Such a simple and believable scenario was the perfect reveal for me. I think someone mentioned that in reality children are far more likely to get run over by a car than get abducted by a paedophile so that could have been a message for us all. And I'm with those that believe Olly is dead. We'd seen the Romanian as a ruthless character and it's quite plausible that he'd think nothing of slashing Olly's throat (the amount of blood shown after the event definitely points to that). I also felt like many others that we saw Emily's vision of 5 year old Olly (appearing at the wedding) as he was when he went missing, which I interpreted as her belief that he was dead and that's how she remembered him. Contrast that with Tony, who couldn't accept his death (with no body), so his vision was Olly as the efit teenager. I think the drawing on the snowy window was done by Tony (the sketch on his notepad after he'd had a call from Baptiste was a clue that he'd been doodling the drawing himself). I was slightly puzzled that he'd found his way to Russia but as others have commented in his desperation to find Olly alive he was no doubt committed to following any remote lead, and if he'd begun in Romania it could be that Russia was just the next stop. His appearance and general demeanor suggested he'd gone over the edge mentally (and the police mentioning he'd been harassing children in various cities) and I came to the conclusion, as did others, that to Tony the Russian boy looked just like the efit of the older Olly, but that this was in Tony's head, not the actual reality of what the boy looked like.

Yes there were a few plot holes (a posse of armed police marching towards Georges to arrest him even though he had a gun in his hand?) and a lot of red herrings, some of which were essential to building characters, some of which were irrelevant, but most of the drama consisted of following lines of enquiry that came to nothing and would probably be quite realistic compared to a real missing child investigation. I didn't find it too long, in fact I almost didn't want it to end! There were many posters who'd said if he was found dead they'd be disappointed and others who'd said a happy ending would be unrealistic so I suppose there were always going to be conflicting views on the conclusion on here, but as far as I'm concerned the journey (and this thread) was definitely worth the ride, whatever you believe happened to Olly.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why the boy in Russia looking like Ollie had to be in Tony's imagination. Nothing else in the story so far has been in Tony's imagination. Sure, I accept he's been driven mad by not knowing exactly what happened and could quite possibly be harrassing boys all over Russia, in exactly the way he was shoving photos of the boy in the yellow scarf in people's faces in Challon du Bois. Doesn't mean that the boys he's asking don't look like the e fit photo. He's not likely to be asking kids with blue eyes and blonde hair is he?
  • Options
    carrielgcarrielg Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Wow. Personally I believe that Olly is dead and Tony can't let go. However, I do believe the ending was purposefully ambiguous in order to keep people talking.
    What I can't get over is the arrogance of some posters on here refusing to accept the viewpoint of others. Some of these posters are all but calling others thick. How rude.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that someone else checked to see where the three places mentioned by the Russian police are in Russia - if they have I missed it.

I wondered whether they were near to Romania so Tony might not have travelled very far from Romania. In fact they are a long way away - they are all in the Sakha Republic, which is in North East Russia, North East Siberia. So Tony has travelled a very long way - very sad. I guess he will keep going until he runs out of money, or is locked up!

I thought the writers were very clever to keep us all guessing for so long, and then to come up with such a simple solution. I am usually very annoyed about a vague ending, but in this case I thought is was handled so well - Emily had her ending and Tony was stuck with his. The viewers could make their own choice.

I am doubtful that they will be able to repeat the success with the second series - we will all be looking for the simple solution, so they would have to come up with a very complicated one to fool us again!
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carrielg wrote: »
    Wow. Personally I believe that Olly is dead and Tony can't let go. However, I do believe the ending was purposefully ambiguous in order to keep people talking.
    What I can't get over is the arrogance of some posters on here refusing to accept the viewpoint of others. Some of these posters are all but calling others thick. How rude.

Yes, the writers have purposely not shown Ollie dead so that there's always the possibility that he may have somehow been trafficked rather than got rid of. However, there's no other explanation given for the blood in the basement, which I was hoping would be explained by other people being involved in some way.

Not a good ending though, for those of us who wanted him to be found alive (stranger things have happened )
  • Options
    LoolabelleLoolabelle Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why the boy in Russia looking like Ollie had to be in Tony's imagination. Nothing else in the story so far has been in Tony's imagination. Sure, I accept he's been driven mad by not knowing exactly what happened and could quite possibly be harrassing boys all over Russia, in exactly the way he was shoving photos of the boy in the yellow scarf in people's faces in Challon du Bois. Doesn't mean that the boys he's asking don't look like the e fit photo. He's not likely to be asking kids with blue eyes and blonde hair is he?

It doesn't have to be. That's just my (and some other's) interpretation, based on Emily's acceptanced of Olly's death and Tony's refusal to accept. He would be approaching boys who looked like how he imagined Olly to look in the present day, based on the efit.
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carrielg wrote: »

Isn't that the truth. Usually happens on message boards, especially with a bollox finale like this.

As this writer said, it was 'a manipulation too far'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11297283/The-Missing-Review-Episode-8-Finale-James-Nesbitt.html
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was somewhat dissatisfied that the ending wasn't entirely clear. I don't always dislike such endings but I did in this case, after such a long journey (perhaps a little too long). However, there was a good deal to like about this drama.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the writers said anything ?

I do wonder if the series hadn't been a hit did they ave an alternate edit of the last episode where there was confirmation of the boy's death and no Russia coda .