Options

Do you tip taxi drivers?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a tip: Just because I have a northern voice doesn't mean you can ride me around the streets of London when I told you to drive me to Acton.

My sister-in-law is from Austria, she has a pronounced German accent and the family have friendly jokes with her about it from time to time.
    I showed her your post, and asked if it had happened to her, she lives in Fulham, but visits us in south London frequently, often using black cabs.
    She has lived in London for 16 years, and knows it very well, she said, "It's never happened to me, and drivers sometimes ask where I'm from, my regular trips rarely deviate from 20p or 60p above the average, sometimes it's £10.20, next time it's £10.80."

Personally I think that taxi drivers going the long way round is in the same bracket as mother-in-law jokes, and Blackpool landladies, the staple schtick of Northern alleged comedians.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll round it off to the nearest pound usually. I'm not a big tipper but will always use the same taxi company so they know me pretty well now.
  • Options
    dodgem22dodgem22 Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    it depends on the driver really. A lot of the time in my area certain companies drivers are constantly talking on their mobile phones throughout the entire journey so in those cases no I dont.

Last week I had a disagreement with the driver who went a different way than I had asked he said I never asked to go that way and accused me of lying perhaps if he paid more attention to the road and the customer than his phone he would have heard and remembered. I will not be using that company again.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F*** no.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    boniver wrote: »
    I'll tell them to keep the change if it's a pound or two.

I'm not comfortable with the whole tipping thing in general as it feels like something you're supposed to do and if you don't you'll look bad.

And I never know what the right amount to give is and how to give it to them if it's not just keeping the change.

At least in restaurants you can just leave the tip on the table at the end!

I dislike the whole idea of tipping too - the only time I do it is in taxis when I sometimes round up the fare to the nearest pound, just so I don't have wait for the change.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    There's more to it than that.

a) It's a lot to do with the etiquette of giving gifts.

Giving a person the actual money directly as a gift is generally a no-no. When you want to give money as a gift (or in this case, tip), you're supposed to put it in an envelope, cover it with a piece of paper, or put it somewhere that doesn't involve you handing the money directly to them.

You still can tip them by rejecting your change. It's polite for them to insist on giving you your change, and polite for you insist on not accepting until they accept with a nod of thanks and a little head bow. Just nod back and make a little head bow, and move on. If you don't want to go through this, just make a little head bow at him and walk away.

However, with foreigners, almost everyone considers explaining that etiquette a hassle. Much easier for many to refuse tips.

b) It varies across the country. No one expects it, but some may accept and some may not when offered. Same as here. On those who refuse:

i) some refuse because they're snobs/proud. Accepting a tip implies they're not getting enough fares.
    ii) some refuse because accepting tips is illegal in some prefectures
    iii) some refuse because they believe you're accidentally overpaying your fare.
    iv) some refuse because it's simply not necessary.
    Basically tipping is not encouraged or expected. Illegal in some places. In America everyone expects tips and offers tips. Compared to here where the situation is much less clear. Many taxi drivers clearly expect tips but not all passengers want to offer them. Why should we tip drivers? I don't tip a friend giving me a lift.

But I also asked you if you would tip a tailor for making you a suit? What about other professional services like a doctor, teacher, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Nope. If only. I'm on a low-income. I earn peanuts. I rarely, rarely get taxis and when i do its after a drink so I'm feeling, erm, generous. :blush::D A few extra quid on a handful of taxi rides in a year won't break the bank.

Not saying everyone should, i just like to. Always have been a tipper, regardless of my income. Mind you, I am really bad with money. In one hand, out with other.

I'm the same. Low income but can be very generous after a few wines and usually only get taxis after a night out.

I work as a barmaid/waitress and always appreciate tips so I always try and tip, unless the service is lousy.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never have and never will. If I have money to just give away then it doesn't go to taxi drivers.
    I agree with. Why tip? They get paid. I don't get tips to do my job.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you and the driver agreed a fixed sum to go from A to B, and you have GIVEN that sum to the driver, then I see nothing wrong in you asking to stop to get a bottle of milk, or loaf of bread for example.
    If you wanted to go into Waitrose for 30 or 40 minutes then perhaps not.
    However, if you get in the taxi at e.g. Liverpool St. station, ask for Camden High St., then (not having paid anything), tell the driver that you are going into a block of flats at the Angel, and you'll be back in 5 minutes, the driver would have to VERY trusting, or more likely nuts to agree to that, just as the checkout person would have to be in DJs analogy.

What's the stance in asking a driver to go via a cash machine?
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same. Low income but can be very generous after a few wines and usually only get taxis after a night out.

I work as a barmaid/waitress and always appreciate tips so I always try and tip, unless the service is lousy.

Same here on my rare nights out I don't drink and drive so taxis are a must and I appreciate a quick journey (usually because I need a wee lol) and a non chatty driver who is polite etc and on that basis I'll tip. If he tries to take me the long route or is a mardy bugger, no tip ;)
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I hadn't even thought of the idea because mostly taxi fares seem very expensive, compared to even the costs of running a car, £10 for example seems to only get you about 5 miles.

I was thinking of becoming a taxi driver, shame there probably wouldn't be a way to charge substantially less in fares, so they are only a bit more than the bus, which is also very high. £5 return to Liverpool.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the stance in asking a driver to go via a cash machine?

That's okay, providing you park adjacent to the ATM, and can see the guy at all times, BUT, I know two taxi drivers who got hit with a photo of their taxi at the kerb, and a fine of £120, reduced to £60 if they paid within 14 days.
    All the appeals for leniency in the world won't wash, what you get is, " YOU AS A LICENCED TAXI DRIVER SHOULD KNOW BETTER"
    Doesn't make it financially viable, does it?
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and i also don't agree that they should double their prices at Christmas either, That's why i don't use taxi's
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Do you tip taxi drivers?

Yes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    As a fully-licenced private hire driver I thought I'd offer my 2p.

Tips aren't expected but when offered are most welcome.

Stopping at a shop/ATM/nipping into a mates house doesn't seem like a big deal to customers, but if every customer wanted to, we'd lose a fair few jobs a day (when this happens the official line is to radio in and get a revised price).

Don't be annoyed when I won't stop to let you out on zig-zag lines at pedestrian crossings and outside schools.

If you order a car for a specific time to go to a railway station/airport and then keep the driver waiting outside for 10 mins. Don't expect your driver to risk his licence by asking him to put his foot down because you're late.

If you or your child has a cold, please cough or sneeze into a handkerchief as a spray of snot and spit onto the back of my neck is most unpleasant.

Don't eat or drink in the car, it smells, leaves a mess and has to be cleaned, the sign on the window even applies to your little snowflakes..

The best time to hand over the fare (surprisingly) is when the car has reached your destination and stopped, not while negotiating a busy roundabout.

Apart from all the above, it can be an enjoyable job, no 2 days are the same!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and i also don't agree that they should double their prices at Christmas either, That's why i don't use taxi's

The ones that I use in London don't, at Christmas and New Year, every hiring attracts an 'extra' of £4.00, so if the meter reads £16.00 plus extras £4.00, then it's £20, if a long ride goes £39, then it will be £43, of course if it's only £3.40, then it's £7.40, but you have to remember, the driver is working unsocial hours.
    Plus it's taxis, not taxi's.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    It depends. If I'm forced to endure Asian music on their radio, then no. Otherwise I always tip
    LOL! It's even better when they start singing along to it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave a taxi driver a tip: next time wash your willy.

I bet the experience left a nasty taste in your mouth.