Options

What does Cameron want to negotiate

Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cameron bangs on about changing rules within the EU, however he has never said exactly what he wants to change.

Why is he so unclear?

Comments

• Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he feels it matters as long as he gets concessions on something that he can claim as a victory.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron bangs on about changing rules within the EU, however he has never said exactly what he wants to change.

Why is he so unclear?

He's not.
    -  New controls to stop “vast migrations” across the continent when new countries join the EU

- Tighter immigration rules to ensure that migrants come to Britain to work, not as tourists planning to cash in on “free benefits”

-  A new power for groups of national parliaments to work together to block unwanted European legislation

-  Businesses to be freed from red tape and “excessive interference” from Brussels, and given access to new markets through “turbo charging” free trade deals with America and Asia

-  British police and courts liberated from “unnecessary interference” from the European Court of Human Rights

-  More power “flowing away” from Brussels to Britain and other member states, rather than increasingly centralising laws in the EU

-  Abolishing the principle of “ever closer union” among EU member states
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if Cameron did intend to negotiate seriously - and he doesn't - his negotiating skills are pants. Just look at the way he promised the Scots the earth when he had a panic attack thinking they would vote yes.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wants to negotiate better PR

This is hilarious:

https://twitter.com/Charles_HRH/status/585802433911205888/photo/1

They always do the 'win votes getting pictured with kids' routine every general election
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the most shirty malcontents in his own party tell him to.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    He's not.

These are, of course, never going to happen.

Cameron's strategy with the referendum was to throw the responsibility over the fence, as at the time it seemed as if Labour were going to stroll past 326 seats and would then be duty-bound to implement the referendum, absolving the Tory Party of responsibility for the mess they have made.

Unfortunately for him, this has backfired rather spectacularly, and I suspect his get-out is going to be "but the LDs stopped me from running a referendum again".

Which is why the LDs need to take a step back and try to force Cameron to fall into the hole he's made for himself.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    Even if Cameron did intend to negotiate seriously - and he doesn't - his negotiating skills are pants. Just look at the way he promised the Scots the earth when he had a panic attack thinking they would vote yes.

Cameron isn't really a politician, he's more of a manager so I don't doubt that his negotiating skills are not that great. But it's not his place to do the negotiating.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron isn't really a politician, he's more of a manager so I don't doubt that his negotiating skills are not that great. But it's not his place to do the negotiating.

What does he want to negotiate ?
    His next job a the European commission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    These are, of course, never going to happen.

Cameron's strategy with the referendum was to throw the responsibility over the fence, as at the time it seemed as if Labour were going to stroll past 326 seats and would then be duty-bound to implement the referendum, absolving the Tory Party of responsibility for the mess they have made.

Unfortunately for him, this has backfired rather spectacularly, and I suspect his get-out is going to be "but the LDs stopped me from running a referendum again".

Which is why the LDs need to take a step back and try to force Cameron to fall into the hole he's made for himself.

If the EU say no to everything, it will all but guarantee the UK's exit - and that would be disastrous for all of the other 26 countries. If he is PM and the referendum goes ahead, Cameron will get concessions from the EU - you can take that to the bank.

The issue will be where the concessions lie. I very much suspect they will be limited to new developments. Restrictions on the free movement of future countries that join etc. - rather than fundamental change. They may well throw him a bone in form of greater EU emphasis on trade - his hobbyhorse.

I couldn't give a monkey's about "his strategy on the referendum". I personally want a referendum to settle the EU issue once and for all. I'm fed up to the back teeth with people pointing the finger at Europe and saying it's the source of their woes. Let's schedule the referendum, have the debate, accept the result and move on.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    I personally want a referendum to settle the EU issue once and for all. I'm fed up to the back teeth with people pointing the finger at Europe and saying it's the source of their woes. Let's schedule the referendum, have the debate, accept the result and move on.

I agree completely, but the question is currently too politically charged.

Either come to a cross-party agreement that it's in the interests of the country to settle the question (which just isn't going to happen as long as Farage is stoking the fire with his anti-immigration rhetoric), or let the parties who most want out lead the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    I agree completely, but the question is currently too politically charged.

Either come to a cross-party agreement that it's in the interests of the country to settle the question (which just isn't going to happen as long as Farage is stoking the fire with his anti-immigration rhetoric), or let the parties who most want out lead the way.

Point taken, but you will never. ever come to a cross party agreement. With the obvious exception of UKIP, the parties know (rightly in my view) that a future outside the EU would be disastrous. So much so that they don't want any chance that a referendum might lead us out. Unfortunately, there is a huge groundswell of public opinion arguing otherwise and it is dominating strategy, political thinking, media - across the board. It is taking time away from us actually dealing with our mistakes.

I'm am 1 billion % confident that the UK will vote to stay in Europe. Sometime like 65%-35%. And that vote will have a profound effect over the medium to long term of UK political and social thought. And FWIW I suspect it will lead the country left, not right. It doesn't matter - the issue is that the time for squabbling is up.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, just like the rebate, and they couldn't even do THAT right!
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EU will throw Cameron a few concessions to make sure we stay in.

Merkel and Hollande know that without Britain they'd have to fork out more of their own cash to dish around