Options

Who else is tired of life?

Comments

• Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll definitely have to agree to disagree.

My profession has brought me a level of satisfaction and fulfillment. Things I've created are there for others to see; plus I've travelled and learned plenty with it.

It's people that have brought untold misery and rollocks.

You may have 'created' things for others to see, and we have all met people that have brought us misery and rollocks.....but.....without people, we would be alone....

Thankfully there are lots of people out there that might make us smile and appreciate our creations.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    You may have 'created' things for others to see, and we have all met people that have brought us misery and rollocks.....but.....without people, we would be alone....
    Being alone would be great. Like Will Smith in 'I Am Legend' or Charlton Heston during the first half hour of 'The Omega Man'... some people just don't do 'people', Flower2.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a theory that we are actually living hell right now.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I have a theory that we are actually living hell right now.

it's been never a better time to be alive... go back a 100 years and see what they had to endure
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thought occured to me this afternoon as to why I find work so difficult. My mood is generally pretty low but if I have the freedom to choose what I want to do I can generally raise it sufficiently to be comfortable. The trouble with work is you don't really get to choose what you have to do and in my case I seem to struggle. Another thought is that people will probably tolerate quite a bit of hardship and boredom if they think the could be headed somewhere better. Perhaps one of the keys to handling monotony is having longer term goals that keep you going? I just live day by day without any future aspirations and it's difficult to tolerate negative stuff.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thought occured to me this afternoon as to why I find work so difficult. My mood is generally pretty low but if I have the freedom to choose what I want to do I can generally raise it sufficiently to be comfortable. The trouble with work is you don't really get to choose what you have to do and in my case I seem to struggle. Another thought is that people will probably tolerate quite a bit of hardship and boredom if they think the could be headed somewhere better. Perhaps one of the keys to handling monotony is having longer term goals that keep you going? I just live day by day without any future aspirations and it's difficult to tolerate negative stuff.

It's funny how entering the working world isn't all that different to being in school. Uniform, homework, revision, exams, 9-4 hours stuck in a room getting told what to do....effort. Only in school, you get longer holidays. But then you don't get paid, making education a compulsory means to an end if you want to do well later in life.

When you enter the working world as an adult, you have all that effort, with added responsibility. And with that, comes a new-found perspective on life and purpose, something which you don't have the privilege of understanding as a school pupil. Could you imagine being institutionalised as an adult? No, you have freedoms, freedoms you should take for granted, and try to avoid the grudging pit of ggloom and wallowing in self-pity.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask why? I mean that entirely sincerely. Perhaps if people are very happy with their work and family I can understand that. But I'd have thought a lot of days would be a routine full of chores?
    I lost track of this thread so didn't see your reply to my post.
    Having read it I reflected quite a while about "bothering" to reply.
    I say that because my answer may make me sound like a smug tw*t.
    But I'll have a go.

This year my wife and I celebrate our 65th birthdays and our 40th anniversary.
    We have two lovely adult "children" who were "teenage terrorists" for years.
    In the last 12 months they both presented us with a grandchild and we are besotted with them.
    They live nearby so we see them regularly.
    We both retired about 8 years ago and our leisure time is in our own hands.
    We both have our independent circle of friends and a close joint circle of friends.
    We spend time separately with friends and jointly with each other.
    We have enough income to get by and afford holidays.

You might say we're very lucky and we probably are but....
    We both worked near 40 years.
    My career meant I took my family all over the country every few years to better our life.
    I obtained two professional qualifications to improve our future.
    Once our children were in school my wife returned to nursing and worked to retirement age and we shared our parenting duties 50/50.

So everything we have we worked for jointly and are now enjoying every day of our lives with our family and friends.

Yes we've had low points and lost loved ones and friends at early ages.
    We've outlive three of our parents who worked hard all their lives for far less than we have now, but that's life and you have to enjoy what you do have.
    I'm a grandad now and realise life is fleeting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I was lookng for a job and then I found a job... but heaven knows, I'm miserable now..."
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    People who say they are tired of life appear very ungrateful for the gift of life. Perhaps they need a wake up call! You are a long time dead......

Some 40 years ago, I had 3 separate close encounters with death in fairly quick succession (all accidents e.g. housefire, drowning, poisoning). What that left me with was a continuing gratefulness to be alive...STILL!!! I can never ever take it for granted.

Thereagain such people may just be stuck, stagnant or depressed....all of which can be sorted.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    amyawake wrote: »
    People who say they are tired of life appear very ungrateful for the gift of life. Perhaps they need a wake up call! You are a long time dead......

Some 40 years ago, I had 3 separate close encounters with death in fairly quick succession (all accidents e.g. housefire, drowning, poisoning). What that left me with was a continuing gratefulness to be alive...STILL!!! I can never ever take it for granted.

Thereagain such people may just be stuck, stagnant or depressed....all of which can be sorted.

I don't see life as a gift, then again I doubt many would if they were in constant pain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I'm pleased for you and I genuinely mean that.

But you need to understand that people have vastly different tolerances, formative experiences, traumatic incidents, disappointments, illnesses and other reasons which cause their outlook on life to be pessimistic.

In my own experience, people have proved to be utterly shit to the core - relatively consistently over 30 years. Save for a few close friends and family, people have conspired to make life an intolerable affair. So as far as I am concerned, life = excrement. As I've said already, contrary to OP and the origins of this thread, my profession is the one source of fulfillment and satisfaction in my life.

And as for your comment "you are a long time dead" - trust me, if there was a guaranteed, failsafe method of exiting through the easy gates and there were no family around to suffer the consequences, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take that route. On two previous occasions, I was determined to see it through but fate intervened each time. Funnily enough, the most at peace I've ever been was when I thought it was all going to be over.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    When my illness, really flared up about four years ago now, I did begin to wake up in the morning and question why I bother.

Waking up aching which increases throughout the day before ending with an lovely dose of being exhausted by the time I get home, it just puts a downer on everything.

And then one morning after a particularly tiring day, I realised a little bit of positivity might not help physically but mentally it could and it has in the past few years. I'd rather not feel like crap for 14-16 hours a day obviously but I at least don't think it's not worth it anymore.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member

Surely that depends on your quality of life?
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    Well I'm pleased for you and I genuinely mean that.

But you need to understand that people have vastly different tolerances, formative experiences, traumatic incidents, disappointments, illnesses and other reasons which cause their outlook on life to be pessimistic.

In my own experience, people have proved to be utterly shit to the core - relatively consistently over 30 years. Save for a few close friends and family, people have conspired to make life an intolerable affair. So as far as I am concerned, life = excrement. As I've said already, contrary to OP and the origins of this thread, my profession is the one source of fulfillment and satisfaction in my life.

And as for your comment "you are a long time dead" - trust me, if there was a guaranteed, failsafe method of exiting through the easy gates and there were no family around to suffer the consequences, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take that route. On two previous occasions, I was determined to see it through but fate intervened each time. Funnily enough, the most at peace I've ever been was when I thought it was all going to be over.

Sorry, but you seem to see life and people as what they can do for you instead of reversing that and seeing what you can do for others.

You say that if it wasn't for the few people you care about, you'd gladly take an exit route.

I find that incredibly selfish. Simply because if this is your attitude and 'if' your loved ones know it, then they must worry about you. However, this doesn't seem to concern you. Have you even given it any thought that they might be concerned about your doom and gloom way of looking at the world and its inhabitants.....including fellow human beings?

And honestly? People don't conspire to make your life hell. That's down to your interpretation. It's your attitude that's all wrong and I feel sorry for those who do care for you, but I suspect that they know deep down that you have fears that you are unable to confront but instead lash out and blame the world for it. You should be thankful that they know the 'real' you. ;-)
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Surely that depends on your quality of life?

Exactly. In my case I have had a fairly long life but due to illness with a family member resulting in I have to be available 24-seven to look after them, means I now have to run down our small business as a possible terminal illness is involved, I am now at a stage where life has lost most of its meaning. Therefore I can understand the OP posing the question.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're tired of life, you're doing it all wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Not to sound flippant, but whenever I get the blues, I try to imagine people in a much less fortunate position in life than I am in. It helps pull me out of my self inflicted depression, taking stock of ones basic luxuries that we often take for granted that others not so fortunate are struggling to achieve. Like a roof over your head, food in the cupboard, and clean drinking water. To live in a country free from political oppression and have human rights. Working and living abroad has only made me more appreciative of the UK and how jolly fortunate we are compared to a huge section of people in the world.

If you can't find a reason in your own life to keep you happy, often looking to help others in a less fortunate position than yourself can bring it's own rewards. It may even make you think to yourself that you don't have it as bad as you've led yourself to believe you do.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being alone would be great. Like Will Smith in 'I Am Legend' or Charlton Heston during the first half hour of 'The Omega Man'... some people just don't do 'people', Flower2.

Why are you on here conversing with them then Norwood?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    Why are you on here conversing with them then Norwood?
    Because online I don't need to listen to the banal and mind-crushingly dull small talk of how the day has been, who is sleeping with who, who watched the footie last night etc etc. I can talk about things that interest me and others without the associated crap that comes from dealing with people.

I'm a misanthrope; there's no denying it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Life is bollocks.

You start off by getting told that studying hard and working hard will make a difference. Yes, it may well do - but what you don't get told is that certain people can bypass the struggle and get straight to the top of the ladder in all social respects by virtue of their background. I mullered all but THREE people in my University year averages; yet some of these twunts got straight to the top through dad's school tie connections. And I happen to get a lot of satisfaction from my profession, but so what? When everything else is crap, what does it matter?

Then women - Jesus H. Christ, women - you get fleeced just for the pleasure of a few crappy, shitty dates, find out very quickly that sex is the most overrated experience in history and spend the rest of your existence as a male expected to pander to them and their every Christing whim. Dare question them and hordes of witches descend upon you in ballet pumps and Louis Vitton bags.

Everything is a struggle; everywhere is someone whose seeming sole purpose is to take a giant metaphorical shit upon you; and your friends don't give a damn about your situation, just as long as they are OK/doing well/getting laid that's all they care about.

Life is utter, utter horseshit. People are shit. If only Dignitas didn't require medical reasons for taking the easy exit, I would be there like a shot.

Life is not bollocks. Your experience of life thus far is bollocks.

I'm a woman and I'm not a shitty date, and I dislike the type of women you describe and wouldn't have them as my friends.

Perhaps you need a radical change, perhaps living in this country doesn't suit you.

Dignitas, thankfully and rightfully doesn't allow young and healthy people to commit suicide, since environments can be changed, and then so can your entire outlook on life and people. Frankly, you sound like a whining little bitch for saying you wish you could go there since you don't like your current situation or you've had some bad experiences with people / women thus far.

I get it, though, I used to be misanthropic.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is not bollocks. Your experience of life thus far is bollocks.

I'm a woman and I'm not a shitty date, and I dislike the type of women you describe and wouldn't have them as my friends.

Perhaps you need a radical change, perhaps living in this country doesn't suit you.

Dignitas, thankfully and rightfully doesn't allow young and healthy people to commit suicide, since environments can be changed, and then so can your entire outlook on life and people. Frankly, you sound like a whining little bitch for saying you wish you could go there since you don't like your current situation or you've had some bad experiences with people / women thus far.

I get it, though, I used to be misanthropic.

I am not surprised when you were married to Mickey bloody Mouse - what an annoying high pitched little knobhead he is. :p

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    When I feel like I do today, I am thoroughly sick of life
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Many people on here seem to be focusing on negative stuff.

Postive positive postive, as BG says.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Many people on here seem to be focusing on negative stuff.

Postive positive postive, as BG says.
    I don't know who BG is but expect everyone to sweep their misgivings under the carpet sounds very unhealthy. Let them have their catharsis on one thread at least.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't take long to get tired of life, when you see it for the virtual reality (matrix) like system it really is

Had a few of these moments lately.
    I don't agree with everything David Icke says, as i think all the reptilian stuff, is like taking a big dump in the middle of some very eye-opening material

This is 'chilled' Icke on a warm spring day, just reflecting some thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32K2KrhAIlQ