Options

What are your top 5 horror movies?

nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1) August Underground's Mordum - the first time I have ever turned away in disgust from a movie. And NOTHING shocks me, usually. I don't know what could be worse than this.

2) August Underground's Penance - for the home invasion scene alone. Again, I had to pause the film and compose myself.

3) Slaughtered Vomit Dolls - Disgusting. Gross. Vile. And at the same time, sadistically entertaining.

*The top three movies are not on release in this country. I have the region 1 DVDs from Amazon. More info on IMDb.*

4) Tenebrae - Dario Argento's finest. Poirot was never this gory! An amazing, catchy opening theme, and the hottest actress ever in Lara Wendel!

5) Antichrist - Quite how Willem Dafoe got involved in this I'll never know. Charlotte Gainsbourg cutting her lady-bits to shreds with a pair of scissors - ugh! Surprised the BBFC let this one go uncut.

Love to hear everyone else's favourites.

Comments

• Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are your top 5 horror movies?

That's a tough question to answer - especially when you have to narrow it down to 5 choices. I'll give it a shot (in no particular order):

1) John Carpenter's "The Thing"
    It's a great story. Equally great are the cast. And lets not forget about the special effects. A majority of the FX seen in the film are simply astounding 20 years later.

2) Stephen King's "The Mist"
    Probably my favorite Stephen King film ever. This movie is perfect and I loved the "ending".

3) George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead"
    This is a great film. The remake was pretty good too, but I still think this is better.

4) Stephen King's "Salems Lot"
    This 1979 miniseries is still one of the greatest vampire movies ever made - and the scariest. The 2004 remake wasn't bad but I liked the original better.

5) John Carpenter's "In the Mouth of Madness"
    An underrated gem that deserves to be seen. It's a real mind twister too!

There are plenty more that I can name (for instance, "An American Werewolf in London", "ALIEN", etc) but then I'll be here all day. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    2) Stephen King's "The Mist"
    Probably my favorite Stephen King film ever. This movie is perfect and I loved the "ending".

Fantastic choice. Love the film and love the short story. But i'm undecided about which ending i prefer!

This is definitely up there in my top 5. The other 4 however are:

The Descent
    Its possibly one of the best horror films i've seen in a long time. I still get a little jumpy watching it! Lets just not talk about the sequel....

Dog Soldiers
    Another Neil Marshall that's cheesy, funny and has awful werewolf costumes. Has some cracking one liners though.

Saw
    Yes the sequels sucks. But the first was definitely the best. I've yet to meet anyone who saw the twist coming.

Zombieland
    Not a full on horror per se, but one of my favourite "horror comedies". Great cameo from Bill Murray, and some of the zombie kills were innovative to say the least. Does always make me want a twinky though!

My favourite five tend to change, but i must admit i'm not a huge fan of old classic horror films etc. Will give a nod to Romero and his zombie flicks though, and i really liked the more recent Land of the Dead...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Saw
    Yes the sequels sucks. But the first was definitely the best. I've yet to meet anyone who saw the twist coming.

Ah, the Saw movies. If it wasn't for my love of dodgy underground independent American horror, they'd be the top of my list.
    That said, I'm glad 7 will be the last one.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) [REC]

2) Saw

3) The Thing

4) Alien

5) Halloween (1978)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nhodkin147 wrote: »
    Ah, the Saw movies. If it wasn't for my love of dodgy underground independent American horror, they'd be the top of my list.
    That said, I'm glad 7 will be the last one.

7 is going to be the last one? Now i didn't know that. Although i'm positive at one point there was only meant to be 6... I have heard rumours that Cary Elwes is returning to 7 - desperation on his behalf? Work drying up maybe?

I haven't seen 6 either, i'm not sure if i can face up to how terrible it'll be. I was full of hope until it 3/4, now they just seem ridiculous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 is going to be the last one? Now i didn't know that. Although i'm positive at one point there was only meant to be 6... I have heard rumours that Cary Elwes is returning to 7 - desperation on his behalf? Work drying up maybe?

I haven't seen 6 either, i'm not sure if i can face up to how terrible it'll be. I was full of hope until it 3/4, now they just seem ridiculous!

I thought Saw 6 was very good.

I think it's the best one since Saw (1).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the IMDb 'Saw 7' board is to be believed, yes, it will. And it will be in 3D.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halloween (1978 + 2007)
    Stephen Kings IT
    Urban Legend
    Nightmare On Elm Street 3 Dreams Warriors (dunno if that is more of a comedy)
    Scream
    Evil Dead

Think i picked more than 5, but it's hard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought Saw 6 was very good.

I think it's the best one since Saw (1).

Really? What's so good about it (without spoilers if poss)?

I would like to see it at some point, i'm waiting for Asda to put it on rollback! :rolleyes:

7 will be in 3D? Why does that not surprise me. We'll be hard pushed to find any 2D films out at the cinema by the end of the year.
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Elwes is definitely back for Saw 7,it was announced by the production company.There was meant to be 8 movies,but the last one didn't do so well (at the box office) so they are wrapping the story up this year.

As for my top 5 - that changes quite often,but at the moment:

1) A Nightmare on Elm Street - not the masterpiece that some say it is,but highly effective if naturally dated and weakened by the sequels.Great atmosphere,extremely imaginative and featuring numerous disturbing set pieces.
    The awful remake rekindled my love of this film.

2) Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Original,funny,relentless and due to the budget has realism and a style of it's own.

3) Confessions of a Serial Killer - Decent little Henry Portrait of Serial Killer type movie that I really like for some reason.

4) Possession - Watched it very recently,and what can I say - I love trashy,cheap made for tv horror of the 1970's!

5) Paranormal Activity - Basic,not very original and perhaps too slow.But it worked on me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    5) Paranormal Activity - Basic,not very original and perhaps too slow.But it worked on me.

I got sucked into watching this movie, thanks to the constant TV trailers.
    The most overhyped piece of rubbish I have ever laid eyes on, since The Blair Witch Project.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got sucked into watching this movie, thanks to the constant TV trailers.
    The most overhyped piece of rubbish I have ever laid eyes on, since The Blair Witch Project.

It seems as if the way to make a film that isn't really scary seem scary is by continually telling the audience that it is based on true events.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Oooh i love this thread :D

Saw
    Midnight meat train
    Dead Silence
    Train
    The Thing ( anything else really lol)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Oooh i love this thread :D

Saw
    Midnight meat train
    Dead Silence
    Train
    The Thing ( anything else really lol)

I keep wondering whether to buy Midnight Meat Train on DVD. Is it any good? How high's the gore level? The gorier the better. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I keep wondering whether to buy Midnight Meat Train on DVD. Is it any good? How high's the gore level? The gorier the better. :D

I think its very high level..Tis good, go buy it..;)
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Scream

2. Friday 13th Part 6

3. Jaws 2

4. Jaws 3

5. The Descent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    1. Scream

2. Friday 13th Part 6

3. Jaws 2

4. Jaws 3

5. The Descent

forgot about the descent and Jaws the first one is awful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    These two are my favourite:

1) The Shining (1980) - Just a classic.
    2) Martyrs (2008) - The definition of horrifying, particularly the last half.

I can't really rank the rest, but i love:

Halloween (1978)
    Inside (2007)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Switchblade Romance/Haute Tension (2003)
    Scream (1996)
    Paranormal Activity (2009)
    Eden Lake (2008)
    Wolf Creek (2005)
    Saw 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 (2004-2009)

There's loads more, but those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    These two are my favourite:

1) The Shining (1980) - Just a classic.
    2) Martyrs (2008) - The definition of horrifying, particularly the last half.

I can't really rank the rest, but i love:

Halloween (1978)
    Inside (2007)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Switchblade Romance/Haute Tension (2003)
    Scream (1996)
    Paranormal Activity (2009)
    Eden Lake (2008)
    Wolf Creek (2005)
    Saw 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 (2004-2009)

There's loads more, but those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.

Martyrs narrowly missed my top 5. It's at no. 6, though. Just above two other French horrors, Frontiers and Inside.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Anybody ever dare to watch the sequel to The Descent?

Or Doomsday for that matter? Neil Marshall went down in my opinion after that mess...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or Doomsday for that matter? Neil Marshall went down in my opinion after that mess...

loved the first one and me and my friend at college got well excited when i heard they were making a new one. THEN I THOUGHT WHY WOULD SHE GO BACK DOWN THERE IF SHE SURVIVED, anyway i still wanna see it but all the negativay of the film is making me think its not worth seeing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    loved the first one and me and my friend at college got well excited when i heard they were making a new one. THEN I THOUGHT WHY WOULD SHE GO BACK DOWN THERE IF SHE SURVIVED, anyway i still wanna see it but all the negativay of the film is making me think its not worth seeing

I haven't seen it, but the whole premise of the film completely put me off.

They've based the second film on the US ending of the first one, which is completely different to our UK version (In the US one it ended when Sarah was in the jeep with Juno, yet obviously our version is a little less optimistic with her not even getting out of the cave at all). So for her to survive and then willingly go back into the caves to find her dead (and she knows this) friends, is all too ridiculous for me. Glad Neil Marshall didn't want anything to do with it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't think the first Descent was up to much. Won't bother with the second.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member

I hated the Descent sequel.

Loved the first, easily one of the best horrors films from the last ten years in my opinion.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was too much focus on the 3 men going hunting for the shark in Jaws. The second half of it was a snooze fest.