£5000 fine for giving electral role false info

wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know of an actual case where some one has actualy been fined £5000 for filling in false details on an electoral roll form, tried looking on Google but couldn't't find anything, I suspect they have no way of cross checking the details of every address in the U.K. so use the threat of an overly massive fine to get everyone to comply. I filled out false details on the census and nothing's ever come of it, the reason I don't want to appear on it is because I guard my privacy, yes I know probably to an obsesive degree, that's just the way I am. (Sorry if my typing's a bit erratic, I'm using my new Samsung galaxy tablet thingy!)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I filled out false details on the census and nothing's ever come of it,

By doing this you are actually causing detriment to yourself because the information is used to determine the funding allocation to your local public services, which is based to a large extend on population. So when the govt. cuts the funding to your local council, police service or hospital because the census shows a reducing local population, don't you moan because it's people like you that have caused the problem.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only an upper limit, not a fixed penalty. I expect that false details associated with electoral fraud will be treated more seriously e.g. adding fictional people to the roll.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you given the same details for the electoral register as you did for the census or are you saying that you are not giving any details for the electoral register? By the way, you can opt for the edited version of the register if you are concerned about privacy. That way, your personal information is not so open or widely available.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that could prevent you getting loan/credit card and also cause a problem when you applyy for a job

you dont have to be on the electoral roll
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    that could prevent you getting loan/credit card and also cause a problem when you applyy for a job

you dont have to be on the electoral roll

True but like you said above and loan, mortgage companies etc use that to verify.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago, I lived in a massive crumbling shared house which had an absurdly high turnover of tenants. Post used to turn up in all sorts of random names with an assortment of variations on them.

One tenant added a random name to the electoral role and then got a credit card in that name. He didn't even defraud it though, he just couldn't get a credit in his own name and wanted to borrow some money. He always made the payments on time and soon got a loan which he also diligently paid and a mobile phone contract.

Sometimes you just have to do the needful to get by.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know of an actual case where some one has actualy been fined £5000 for filling in false details on an electoral roll form, tried looking on Google but couldn't't find anything, I suspect they have no way of cross checking the details of every address in the U.K. so use the threat of an overly massive fine to get everyone to comply. I filled out false details on the census and nothing's ever come of it, the reason I don't want to appear on it is because I guard my privacy, yes I know probably to an obsesive degree, that's just the way I am. (Sorry if my typing's a bit erratic, I'm using my new Samsung galaxy tablet thingy!)
    Never heard of anyone being caught for making false declarations on the electoral register.

It irritates me that we are by law obliged to to complete it and then it is published, I know it's only for a couple of weeks if you tick the 'do not publish' box, but it's the same with the DVLA, again we are obliged to give them our details, there is no choice and they then flog the data to anyone who wants it, if they can say they need it...
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't they already have your details via Council Tax registration?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Never heard of anyone being caught for making false declarations on the electoral register.

It irritates me that we are by law obliged to to complete it and then it is published, I know it's only for a couple of weeks if you tick the 'do not publish' box, but it's the same with the DVLA, again we are obliged to give them our details, there is no choice and they then flog the data to anyone who wants it, if they can say they need it...

I take it you keep secret to where you live giving nobody your details?
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I take it you keep secret to where you live giving nobody your details?
    Yes I do, in fact so much so even I don't know where I live.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    By doing this you are actually causing detriment to yourself because the information is used to determine the funding allocation to your local public services, which is based to a large extend on population. So when the govt. cuts the funding to your local council, police service or hospital because the census shows a reducing local population, don't you moan because it's people like you that have caused the problem.

I only changed my name and date of birth, the fictional person I submitted a census form for would there fore be included in councils budget estimate.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »

You can keep your data off the edited register, which is the one they make available to anyone.