Why can't SSD have more storage space?

Why can't SSD have more storage space like 500gb as is the case in hard disk drives?

Comments

• rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a 500gb SSD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-500GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7CEE

You can see the problem though ;-)
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they seem to go up to 960GB now ... price at that capacity prevents high sales volumes!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    phases wrote: »
    Why can't SSD have more storage space like 500gb as is the case in hard disk drives?

They can have more GB but they would cost even more than they do now.

But you really only need them for the operating system and then use another drive for storage, so a 100GB drive will do and then use a normal HD for storage.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they cost more to make per GB.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    they seem to go up to 960GB now ... price at that capacity prevents high sales volumes!

Samsung do 1TB of their consumer drives but they are £370 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E3W16OU/
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can have more GB but they would cost even more than they do now.

But you really only need them for the operating system and then use another drive for storage, so a 100GB drive will do and then use a normal HD for storage.

Exactly. Buying an SSD simply to store stuff on would be a waste of money. In my opinion, SSDs show their 'magic' when using applications and stuff like that. The rendering of websites might also be much faster as well.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Buying an SSD simply to store stuff on would be a waste of money. In my opinion

err why? when they will all end up this way eventually in years to come anyhow. i'd love to store all my pics, music etc on an SSD.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone used a hybrid drive? One like this? You get the same capacities and price point as regular mechanical drives but supposed to offer better performance? Anyone got one and are they noticeably quicker than a normal hard drive? Seems the idea is that commonly used programs are cached in the 8gb of SSD memory so will result in faster access and load times. Sounds like a good compromise for a high capacity SSD which will cost an arm and a leg.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000DX001-Hybrid-Internal-Solid/dp/B00ELAVIQ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395272605&sr=8-2&keywords=hybrid+drive

Thinking of getting one. Already have a 120gb samsung SSD as my boot drive, but a normal one for my storage. Thinking maybe I will go for one of these hybrid drives which are claimed to be up there in speed with SSDs.

So the best solution could be like a 120gb SSD for boot drive and a 1tb or more hybrid drive, and it would only cost a little over £100.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-120GB-Basic-Solid-State/dp/B00E391KA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395272795&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+840+evo+120gb

Samsung 840 Evo 120gb ssd £61 and a Seagate 1tb hybrid drive for £58,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    err why? when they will all end up this way eventually in years to come anyhow. i'd love to store all my pics, music etc on an SSD.

Yes, when the price of them comes right down. I think they cost too much at the minute to use them just for storage.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought a crucial 480Gb one for my main PC, it will have the OS, plus the two main games I play on it.
    Incredible boot times, plus fast load times for my games and other stuff.

Long term stuff can go my standard 1Tb HD, or my 2Gb Nas, or even on the cloud.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prices are dropping fast, £370 for a Terabyte is very good value. £110 for 330GB - my 128GB cost £120.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Prices are dropping fast, £370 for a Terabyte is very good value. £110 for 330GB - my 128GB cost £120.

Where did you see the 330GB one for that price? I can only imagine that the read and write speed is a lot lower than the better ones out there. Also, the 128GB one you mentioned is more pricier than the ones I've seen. I can imagine SSDs being put in laptops and computers in a few years the way prices are dropping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Just bought a crucial 480Gb one for my main PC, it will have the OS, plus the two main games I play on it.
    Incredible boot times, plus fast load times for my games and other stuff.

Long term stuff can go my standard 1Tb HD, or my 2Gb Nas, or even on the cloud.

According to the specifications on Dabs, the write speed for the Crucial SSD is a lot slower than the Samsung one. The Crucial one writes at only 400MBs/s, whereas the Samsung one writes at 520MBs/s.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the specifications on Dabs, the write speed for the Crucial SSD is a lot slower than the Samsung one. The Crucial one writes at only 400MBs/s, whereas the Samsung one writes at 520MBs/s.

That's ok, I'm prepared to wait 10.2 seconds for the crucial to boot into windows 7 as opposed to the 9.4 that the fastest Samsung one takes. I think I can spare the 0.8 seconds that I lose. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    That's ok, I'm prepared to wait 10.2 seconds for the crucial to boot into windows 7 as opposed to the 9.4 that the fastest Samsung one takes. I think I can spare the 0.8 seconds that I lose. :)

Actually, after a bit of research just now, it appears that what's more important could be the IOPS of the write and read speed. That Crucial SSD is quite high with these two. I think the Input Output Operations Per Second of the write and read are the ones to take most notice of. I suspect a high MBs/s is also good though.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, after a bit of research just now, it appears that what's more important could be the IOPS of the write and read speed. That Crucial SSD is quite high with these two. I think the Input Output Operations Per Second of the write and read are the ones to take most notice of. I suspect a high MBs/s is also good though.

The average home user won't notice any difference. In all the performance tests I have seen the Samsung is ahead but there is nothing wrong with the Crucial drive.

Samsung does have better management and migration software and caching in RAM function called RAPID.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    The average home user won't notice any difference. In all the performance tests I have seen the Samsung is ahead but there is nothing wrong with the Crucial drive.

Samsung does have better management and migration software and caching in RAM function called RAPID.

Unless they take careful notice of the performance. :D But yeah, average computer users won't bother about things like that. All they'll see is that they're so much faster than the mechanical drives that are slowly dying out. I think it would take an SSD to be crap in performance for even the average computer not to be wowed by its speed. The Samsung Pro Series does seem to perform excellent according to the benchmarks out there.
  • LeviathainLeviathain Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SSD is going down in price quite a bit.

I remember many moons ago buying a very expensive 1 GB USB Stick.