Do you mispronounce words?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I always pronounced lingerie as 'ling-er-ee'...

Another one is 'linoleum'... line-o-lim

I still do, out of habit, even though i've been told the error of my ways :blush:

Comments

• Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend does, and I keep a little dictionary of them all!

My favourites are "desiphon" meaning " decipher" "whilrling dermish" instead of "whirling dervish" and "ex-a-ray" for "X-ray" she also makes up a lot of words, that do actually make sense!

Another friend calls Wyndsors World of Shoes "Winosaurs" and Sesame Street "See-Sam Street"
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pronounce quite a few words wrong, probably a lot actually.

Comfortable - I find difficult to pronounce and would say comf-tarble although I never use it as I just say comfy.

Another one is Ibuprofen. Now this one annoys me as I know the correct way to say it but my ex pronounced it Ibrufen and it just sort of stuck with me. I want to slap myself every time I say it but it just comes out automatically.

I speak Scottish slang though so there will be loads of words I don't say correctly.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pronounce 'duvet' wrong. Also I pronounce 'era' not so much wrong (well, wrong in this country I guess) but the yank way of sounding more like 'error'.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say 'Canada'. It always comes out as 'Canadia'.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all mispronounce encyclopaedia :p
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Wood in 'Dinner Ladies' made a joke of people
    who pronounced 'millennium' as 'minELLium' but at the
    time of the century change, I met quite a few people who
    actually said it that way!
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work with someone who always pronounced 'specific' as 'Pacific'
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there's a few that I deliberately mis-pronounce because to get them right either gives an unwanted implication of familiarity with the subject or because I can't think of a suitable euphemism for something and I need an immediate ad-hoc substitute for one. But right now I can't think of any :blush:
    Maisymoo82 wrote: »
    ... and Sesame Street "See-Sam Street"
    A few of years of childhood in the Netherlands means that even decades later when I hear that name it echoes in my head as 'saysamstraat'...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to say 'hostipal' and 'pasghetti'.

Of course, I was only a wee nipper.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I picked up the habit as a youngling of pronouncing sandwich as 'samwidge' and it's stuck with me for some reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Not really, although my accent means I drop the letter "H" a lot, with "O" or "ER" at the end of a word becoming "A" so could be seen as sounding like a cross between Lorraine Chase and Danny Dyer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    I picked up the habit as a youngling of pronouncing sandwich as 'samwidge' and it's stuck with me for some reason.

It's 'sammich' here in Tyrone.

Can I get a ham and tomata sammich please? :D
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I pronounce quite a few words wrong, probably a lot actually.

Comfortable - I find difficult to pronounce and would say comf-tarble although I never use it as I just say comfy.

Another one is Ibuprofen. Now this one annoys me as I know the correct way to say it but my ex pronounced it Ibrufen and it just sort of stuck with me. I want to slap myself every time I say it but it just comes out automatically.

I speak Scottish slang though so there will be loads of words I don't say correctly.

My Dr calls it Brufen - look me a while to work out what she meant.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outer Hebrides
    Outer He Brides

Certificate
    Sir stiffercate

I do not use the myself but I know people who do:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, although my accent means I drop my "H" a lot, so could be seen as sounding like a cross between Lorraine Chase and Danny Dyer.

That's a frightening image :o
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »

OH pronounces it "sangwich"

No idea why
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Never. Like Mary Poppins, I'm practically perfect in every way ;-)
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »

Brufen is just a trade name for ibuprofen. No such thing as ibrufen though.

I've heard people say 'icining' when they mean 'icing' and the old classic is berger-haus instead of berghaus. Idiots.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    My Dr calls it Brufen - look me a while to work out what she meant.

Brufen is just one brand name of Ibuprofen
    Brand names of ibuprofen
    Ibuprofen brand names include Brufen, Calprofen, Genpril, Ibu, Midol, Nuprin, Cuprofen, Nurofen, Advil and Motrin - there are many others. If you are buying the medication at a pharmacy, check the packaging for other brand names, in case they contain ibuprofen.
    and a list of countries where the numerous brand names are used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ibuprofen_brand_names
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who think up names for medicinal products should be forced to stand in front of a queue in Boots and ask for a load of items they don't know how to pronounce. Then they might think twice about inflicting the likes of Cetomacrogol on the rest of us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I pronounce correctly for where I'm from, yes. However it's like the scone/gone scone/cone debate. Both are correct.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The late great Ronnie Barker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nFQgRApY

Made for this thread :D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best one I've seen was from somebody on here, who pronounced probably as prolly. :D

I used to know somebody who always referred to "pharmaKuticals".

A very common one is itinary instead of itinerary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    The best one I've seen was from somebody on here, who pronounced probably as prolly. :D

WTF ZOMG LOL
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I can't say Bacarruda!

and...why do some folks prononce nuclear as nukilar???:confused: