Options

BBC iPlayer stopped working on my Samsung GT-S5620

At some point last week, the iPlayer gadget on my phone stopped working properly. It still loads up properly, but lists no content whatsoever.

The Home screen just shows two empty "Highlights" sections (normally TV and Radio highlights), and all other sections ("Last Played", "Most Poplular") are empty as well.

Attempting to search for a programme just does nothing. Navigating to the "TV" or "Radio" tab will list the current programme under "Watch/Listen Live" for each channel, but selecting it does nothing.

I've tried it on both my home and work WiFi (both of which worked fine until last week, and neither of which have changed) with no luck. iPlayer on my iPad works fine at home.

Does anyone know if recent changes to iPlayer mean that my phone and/or my phone's gadget are no longer supported? (Or have any other suggestions for getting this working?)

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Well am I glad I found your post! - I just got back from holiday and my Genio Slide B5310 has exactly the same symptoms. I first thought it was my router so rebooted that which made no difference, and I was just about to reset the phone back to factory defaults
    As you say no programmes are listed, there are just black boxes, which seem to contain feint horizontal lines. The current programme is listed but clicking on it does nothing. It all worked perfectly before I went away 2 weeks ago. I noticed that BBC made changes to Iplayer for international user support last week. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Jim
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Same problem on Samsung S5620. Both handsets are still listed as compatable at
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile_iplayer/mobile_phone
  • Options
    stesul63stesul63 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Yes also have the same problem. I noticed as well that the iplayer forum has now closed.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on who I can contact at the BBC to advise them that the website still has a supported phone that does not seem to work,

Steve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I left a message for them yesterday on the iplayer contact us web page. I haven't heard anything back yet though:(

https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbciplayer/emailForms/emailPage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    So glad I've finally found other people with the same problem - I thought I was going mad. Iplayer app stopped displaying correctly on my Samsung Wave last Wed/Thurs. I've been to various phone geeks about it (Carphone Warehouse, O2 etc) and they all conclude its the BBC app that's the problem - not the phone or Samsung. So frustrating because there seems to be no direct way to contact BBC about it and I am so lost without my Iplayer app.... I will send a message to the link that you posted too and hopefully if enough people contact them about it, it will get fixed.
  • Options
    stesul63stesul63 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Update for everyone, this has been posted on the BBC iplayer website, so they are aware

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/iplayer_samsung_devices
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to update you (and anyone else who's experiencing the same problem), I've had the following reply from BBC:

"Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support team.

I understand that you are experiencing a problem playing content on your Samsung mobile phone.

We are investigating reports that some Samsung mobile users are experiencing difficulty playing BBC content.

We have since created an FAQ, which will be updated when more information becomes available:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/iplayer_samsung_devices

I do understand you that you feel very strongly about this issue, so I'd like to assure you that I've fully registered your concerns. This will be included on feedback reports that are available to personnel responsible for maintaining and improving the BBC iPlayer service."

So fingers crossed, they're working on it and normal service will be restored soon. I'll update as and when I find out more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem with my GT S5620. I can't get anywhere with Samsung or BBC websites. When you consider how much the phone costs, how much we pay BBC for a licence and how much we pay for the broadband you'd think someone might take notice.:confused:
  • Options
    jwsgjwsg Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Agreed, been without iPlayer for a couple of weeks on Monte. Lost the widget early on so being using the web browser to launch but it's the same problem.
    Maybe they'll fix it as they've actually admitted it ("some users" :rolleyes:) but my experience is that once they're broken something they won't just do the simple thing and roll back what they've changed.
  • Options
    Hypnos MetisHypnos Metis Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    Glad it's not just me being daft with this one, I noticed that it wasn't working the other day on my Monte, but assumed it ws just a temporary blip - I don't very often use the iplayer on my phone, but its nice to have it as an option.

Have the beeb updated the website recently that would make this change?

I read somewhere that reinstalling the widget would pick up any updates automatically (if the bbc make them!) but how exactly would I do this even if I wanted to? Ther seems to be nowhere to get the widget from, or the choice to select/deselect it in the settings...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Today I've noticed that when I try to run IPlayer on my Genio B5310, Instead of the days showing with no content, it simply shows a message "BBC IPlayer is currently unavailable" Does this mean they are working on the problem?
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they were doing something with it yesterday. Opening iPlayer in IE9 was giving an instant appcrash, now it seems to be working again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Same problem on my HTC Desire HD. Worked really well up until recently. The Beeb have definately made changes.
    With all due respect I think 'Auntie' should come clean on this, even the best of us make mistakes, and this could simply be a prime example of that (couldn't it!?)...once admitted and RECTIFIED that is....please.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting, so its not just Samsung then. It been out of action for nearly 2 months now.
    If its not fixed soon I may need to trade my phone in for a manufacturers that works as advertised!
    Its a shame because all the other features on the B5310 are working fine for me.
    Jim
  • Options
    rebelrickbrebelrickb Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    my samsung wave not worked for about 3 weeks reset everything thinking it was my moble. Glad its not just me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just tried late tonight and iplayer is working on my B5310 again. The layout is new and I'm not sure all the buttons are working, but so far the progs I've tried are working...:D
    Jim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It appears to be working on my Samsung GT-S5620 as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    About time its fixed 2 months it took .Imagine my suprise friday night sat on the loo (too much information) when I noticed it working