Options

How long should a washing machine cycle take?

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, so my last washing machine was given to me by a relative. It was old and had a few faults, the main one being that the programme cycle were broken so I had to turn the machine off manually. However it did a job so I would just let it run for an hours or so and then switch it off.

A couple of weeks ago that one finally gave up the ghost so I got myself a new (but basic) Beko washing machine. However I've put on the normal cycle today and after 2 1/4 hours it is still going!! Is this right? Should it really take this long?

Comments

• Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. But if I put mine on a mini load it takes longer than a full load. Madness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    125 mins on normal
    111 mins eco :)
  • Options
    Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our machine (only about 6 months old) has several settings with different durations. The cycle we use is the eco one and that takes 30 minutes.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    We got a new washing machine recently and my other half put the first load in and it was taking ages.

I checked the manual and she had switched it to some "eco" cyle that was going to take 2-3 hours! :eek:

I can't understand what's "eco" about a washing machine running all that time! :confused:

I found a much more sensible setting that washes the loads in an hour.

Check your manual. I'm sure there will be a similar setting .
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longest cycle I can get out of my machine is just over 3 hours. Cottons 60 degree with extra rinse and prewash.
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That does seem like a long time for a normal cycle but as all machines vary so much it could be normal for that machine. My normal cycle takes 1 hour 15 minutes at 40 degrees, but the normal 60 degree cycle takes 1 hour 45 minute. I have a super wash cycle that takes 2 hours 15minutes but I never use it.

The washing machine manual should give you a guide as to how long each wash should take. Check it out and see if it does :)
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Approx. 1hr 30mins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Ok, so my last washing machine was given to me by a relative. It was old and had a few faults, the main one being that the programme cycle were broken so I had to turn the machine off manually. However it did a job so I would just let it run for an hours or so and then switch it off.

A couple of weeks ago that one finally gave up the ghost so I got myself a new (but basic) Beko washing machine. However I've put on the normal cycle today and after 2 1/4 hours it is still going!! Is this right? Should it really take this long?

What do you define as the normal cycle - is this actually labelled 'normal cycle' on your washing machine? What is the temperature of this particular cycle? Your washing machine's handbook should tell you how long each cycle should last.

Newer generation washing machines tend to have programmes which take much longer than the older models used to. This is because they use much less water. I'm guessing that the most frequent cycle you may use will probably be a 40 degree wash, but even so, if this is the cycle you are using now, it shouldn't take over two hours - just a little over an hour at the most.

If you are ever in a hurry for your washing, your new machine should have a 30 degree programme, which should take just a little over 30 minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    New range washing machines are making me very mad!!

They do NOT use enough water.
    They take far too long on some cycles.
    There is no option on most of them to do a non eco wash.

Clothes are not being washed as well as they used to because of a lack of water.

And because there is a lack of water washing machine bacteria is more common, resulting in bad smells.....and what do we have to do to stop this?

Advise from the manufacturers......."Put the machine on a boil wash with nothing in it every 3-4 weeks"......errrrrr, doesnt that counter any energy saved from using less water in the first place?

Bliddy things.......I end up adding an extra gallon of water manually.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given up with my washing machine - bloody expensive does everything except iron the buggers piece of junk that it is.

Manual has an English section that seems to have been written by brain damaged gerbils.

Basically it is done when it is done - 90 mins seems to be average but 2.5 hrs isn't unusual. Unless the filter is blocked. It hates having a blocked filter and will sit there until you flood the kitchen cleaning it out.

It cleans well at 30 degrees, doesn't seem to draw too heavily on the electric and - touch wood - has been pretty reliable. So it is in charge of laundry, not me.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Beko and it is not one of by better buys.

A class 40 deg wash takes 165mins. Even a hand wash is 45 mins.

Also there is never enough water in there, I have checked the water pressure, I end up using a little hose pipe just to get some water on my clothes. :)

It also seems too heavy on my wash, things come out clean but haggered?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Depends on the setting, but for a 40 degree wash for cottons it's 45 mins. If I choose the 'reduced ironing' option it adds 4 minutes. Non-cottons are about ten minutes faster for some reason:confused:
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    I have a Beko and it is not one of by better buys.

A class 40 deg wash takes 165mins. Even a hand wash is 45 mins.

Also there is never enough water in there, I have checked the water pressure, I end up using a little hose pipe just to get some water on my clothes. :)

It also seems too heavy on my wash, things come out clean but haggered?

Yes I was running a 40 deg cotton wash and it did take about 165 mins.

Agree with what's been said about water useage - I really don't understand the whole 'water saving' thing that goes on. Electricity? Yes. Water? Who beyond the water companies cares?

The machine has a quick wash function that takes about 30 mins but the clothes come out basically dry.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also agree about there being too little water - I like to see my clothes tumbling through the suds! As soon as my machine has finished filling and started it's cycle, I pour in more water from an old 2litre bottle that I fill up from the tap, and it makes all the difference. The clothes move more freely and the detergent gets dispersed through them better. I think a 40 degree wash takes about 80 minutes, but a 60 degree wash is about 2 hours.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also agree about there being too little water - I like to see my clothes tumbling through the suds! As soon as my machine has finished filling and started it's cycle, I pour in more water from an old 2litre bottle that I fill up from the tap, and it makes all the difference. The clothes move more freely and the detergent gets dispersed through them better. I think a 40 degree wash takes about 80 minutes, but a 60 degree wash is about 2 hours.

Thats interesting , do you pour it into the drawer and does it all run into the machine ?
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Clothes are not being washed as well as they used to because of a lack of water.

And because there is a lack of water washing machine bacteria is more common, resulting in bad smells.....and what do we have to do to stop this?

Advise from the manufacturers......."Put the machine on a boil wash with nothing in it every 3-4 weeks"......errrrrr, doesnt that counter any energy saved from using less water in the first place?

I've noticed this too. Stains aren't being removed quite the same too. My old washer was brill, this one...not so good.My instuctions mention the boil wash but I dont have a setting for one!:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I was running a 40 deg cotton wash and it did take about 165 mins.
    That's way too long for a regular 40 degree wash. I do 2 or 3 loads a day, and would be there all day at that speed!

Our 10-yr-old Electrolux does 40 degrees in 50 mins, 50 degrees in 70 mins and 60 degrees in 110 mins. We do an empty 95 degree maintenance wash every month or so, and that takes 110 mins also.

Tip: if you know which appliance you want to buy, search around the internet in advance for its user guide/manual. That way there's no nasty surprises with running times etc on washing machines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Ours does a mini wash in 30 minutes. A 60 degree one usually takes 2 hours, 40 degree a bit less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Beko and the normal 40 degree wash takes flippin' ages. Try the mini 30 if you have one.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member

I agree.

And the quick wash option doesn't work unless the clothes were nigh-on clean to begin with.

I've just got a new dishwasher and that takes forever and a day as well.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a Hoover washer & it takes 133 mins to do a 40 degree wash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found this site to be a good one for finding manuals - some sites charge for them, but this one provides downloadable pdf files free of charge.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats interesting , do you pour it into the drawer and does it all run into the machine ?

I want to know that too :)
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some really strange ideas on here about how washing machines work.
    Pouring water into the dispenser will go into the drum with all the other water. All you're doing is making the cyclea bit longer as the machine will have to heat up more water than normally.
    Not really advisable tbh as it won't make any difference to the quality of the wash cycle.

The reasons for using less water and longer cycles are very good ones that are there for enery efficiency and wash efficiency. The simplest explanation being that less water = less electricity in heating and more friction between the fabrics during the wash action which results in a better wash.

If you're not getting results then more than likely you're using the wrong cycle/detergent/loading etc.

But like everything, you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap crap machine and you will often get similar results.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I have a little hosepipe from the tap and just fix it into the draw where the water goes through. Before that I just opened the draw and used a 2 liter jug to fill the thing up about 10 times.

Also I have started to cancel the wash after 1hr. Then I need to set it to rinse and fill up with extra cold water.

It is a pain in the butt, and the worst thing I have ever bought.:(