Options

When does technology go too far?

occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,419
Forum Member
All sports evolve and change over time. Better diet, better training, better coaching, professionalism all lead to sportsmen and women who are faster, stronger and fitter.

But not all of the improvment in performaces are down to this - often it's about the equipment used.

So looking at some major sports, when does yechnology stop being a good thing and "spoil things".

Probably it's to do with your age (ie the technology around when you were young is the one you like) but here's some starters for ten:

Football:

Good - lighter boots, waterproof balls (I have played with the old leather lace ups that swelled up in the rain!), pitches with grass all year around

Bad - Basically all new balls since the tango!

Cricket:

Good - balls that stay in shape (sometimes), lighter pads and better gloves

Bad - Helmets (sorry but I do think that); heavy bats

Tennis:

Good - yellow balls (remeber the old white ones that went grey?)

Bad - Big headed raquets - changed the game forever

Golf:

Good - Club and ball technology for amateurs

Bad - Club and ball technology for pros (made courses too short and therefore have to be amended)

Just a few ideas - yes I'd quite like sport using 70s tech but I know it'll never happen (though I'd long to see Wimbledon played with Dunlop Maxpli's again :) )

Comments

• Options
    paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I’m only an infrequent visitor, let alone poster to these forums. Congratulations on a thought provoking post.

Off-field equipment has seen profound changes.

First significant change is video and computer technology. Everything can now be watched, recorded and analysed. No sports professional now starts without a pre-determined plan based on previous performance.

Second is the technology of the surface played on. Unpredictability of the pitch in football and cricket has become less common. In Field Hockey artificial surfaces have revolutionised the game. From natural grass to artificial sand and now water based pitches it just keeps getting faster.

It is simplistic to say good/bad to technology. Lighter boots in football have been good in allowing greater control of the ball, but also bad in leading to more metatarsal injuries. Disagree with helmets in cricket.
  • Options
    occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,419
    Forum Member
    paul_jt wrote: »
    I’m only an infrequent visitor, let alone poster to these forums. Congratulations on a thought provoking post.

Off-field equipment has seen profound changes.

First significant change is video and computer technology. Everything can now be watched, recorded and analysed. No sports professional now starts without a pre-determined plan based on previous performance.

Second is the technology of the surface played on. Unpredictability of the pitch in football and cricket has become less common. In Field Hockey artificial surfaces have revolutionised the game. From natural grass to artificial sand and now water based pitches it just keeps getting faster.

It is simplistic to say good/bad to technology. Lighter boots in football have been good in allowing greater control of the ball, but also bad in leading to more metatarsal injuries. Disagree with helmets in cricket.

Thanks for the thanks :)

I'd forgotten about Hockey - now really a totally diffrent game to that I remeber from school.

Yes the good/bad thoughts were simplistic and more to start a debate. The lighter boots I was thinking of were the boots of the 70s and 80s - much lighter than those of the fifties. But todays boots (shoes I think is a better term) offer very little protection.

I disagree about helmets. There were very few head injuries prior to helmets even though the 70s saw some of the most aggresive fast bowling ever. Batsmen then had to learn to play or get hit.