Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dobbybear wrote: »
    Well said!

Thanks. :blush::D
  • Options
    Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Genetics isn't as simple as many seem to think. One black parent and one white does not necessarily result in an obviously mixed race child - he/she could be any shade from white to black.

Indeed. My cousin is blond-haired and blue-eyed, and he married an Asian girl of Indian origin. They have a daughter who is fair skinned, blonde and blue-eyed like her father, and a son who has dark skin and Asian features like his mother. Yet they are full siblings.
  • Options
    ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think I probably am - apart from the other posters who did their research and dissertation in genetics.

Good grief, Janet43, is there anything you are not an expert on? It's pretty obvious you are an educated woman, as I've noticed that no matter what is being discussed on here , you seem to know everything there is to know about the subject. However, sorry , but I for one come on here hoping to get a laugh, not to read a long winded post about genetics.;-)
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    What? An expert? So you must have written a thesis and got a PhD then!

All us other posters don't need to have written anything about genetics because we are just having a chat on a forum about a TV soap character. No one has any gripes about Alex Bain. Simon Barlow is an entirely different matter! ;-)
    Yes, I have.

Science and IT are my main areas, plus a few other specific topics. I also have personal experience of some things.

I get annoyed when people state "facts", if I know they are wrong. I comment on things that I know and have experience of.

I know absolutely nothing about pop music, art, facebook, twitter, skateboarding, nightclubs, holidays abroad, drinking, drugs, ice skating, what the latest craze is, dancing (apart from tock 'n' roll), opera, ballet, classical music and a whole host of other things, and wouldn't dream of talking about those. So, no, I'm not expert on everything, just some specific areas.

A lot of what is posted, I wouldn't class as "chat" - much of it is a knee-jerk reaction without thought or smacks of being a campaign and can be quite nasty. I don't like nasty comments about anyone, especially when made anonymously hiding behind a screen name. I have never, ever said anything in real life behind someone's back that I haven't then said to their face. That's the way I was brought up.

Back to Simon - the only thing known about his mother is that she was pale with fair hair. No-one knows anything about her parents, grandparents, e.t.c., so his darker colouring could come from that. No-one knows.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have.

Science and IT are my main areas, plus a few other specific topics. I also have personal experience of some things.

I get annoyed when people state "facts", if I know they are wrong. I comment on things that I know and have experience of.

I know absolutely nothing about pop music, art, facebook, twitter, skateboarding, nightclubs, holidays abroad, drinking, drugs, ice skating, what the latest craze is, dancing (apart from tock 'n' roll), opera, ballet, classical music and a whole host of other things, and wouldn't dream of stalling about those. So, no, I'm not expert on everything, just some specific areas.

A lot of what is posted, I wouldn't class as "chat" - much of it is a knee-jerk reaction without thought or smacks of being a campaign and can be quite nasty. I don't like nasty comments about anyone, especially when made anonymously hiding behind a screen name. I have never, ever said anything in real life behind someone's back that I haven't then said to their face. That's the way I was brought up.

Back to Simon - the only thing known about his mother is that she was pale with fair hair. No-one knows anything about her parents, grandparents, e.t.c., so his darker colouring could come from that. No-one knows.

Who cares?
    Were talking about a ficticious character in a soap.
    Not worth getting your knickers in twist over.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Who cares?

Quite!

There there must be more appropriate locations for this verbal diarrhea to be vented and more appropriate targets than those enjoying a harmless, fun thread on Digital Spy.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have.

I know absolutely nothing about pop music, art, facebook, twitter, skateboarding, nightclubs, holidays abroad, drinking, drugs, ice skating, what the latest craze is, dancing (apart from tock 'n' roll), opera, ballet, classical music and a whole host of other things, and wouldn't dream of talking about those. So, no, I'm not expert on everything, just some specific areas.

Wow! That is industrial strength pomposity. All over a daft, wee lad on a soap. You ought to turn that highly developed intellect and intelligence towards the search for a life, dear.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Redpoppy wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why Cathy was washing herself in the Rovers' ladies a couple of weeks ago and dropping all her shopping in the street. Thought they were leading up to a 'homeless' storyline rather than a 'hoarder' one! :confused:
    She offered Roy some tea, and mentioned the kettle, so she must have the same facilities as the pub, at least. :confused:
    It was a great scene, although I thought Gail and Leanne didn't get on? (I've had a year long break and only just got back into it)
    Gail gets on with everyone unless they are going out with or married to her sons.
    Why do some people think it necessary to insult or comment on the looks and speaking characteristics of some of the actors? I assume that those who do it are fabulously good looking with melodic voices. You are what you are and live with whatever characteristics you were born with.
    Sinead didnt live with it though. Her voice and personality changed for the worse overnight.
    Yes, I have.

We have seen Simon's maternal grandfather. I dont think we have seen his maternal grandmother, who might well be black.

Why is Leanne worried about Simon knowing she was a prostitute? I would be very surprised if he didnt know it already, seen as people shout it at Leanne every five minutes and he is related to Big Gob Tracey.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    She offered Roy some tea, and mentioned the kettle, so she must have the same facilities as the pub, at least. :confused:
    she did didn't she? I'd assumed she spent all her money on crap and had her electricity cut off. Also wasn't there a weird thing with her ice cream defrosting, or am I thinking of someone else? Also who were the bailiffs working for? Maybe saying she could'nt find the kettle was just an excuse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, the Corrie producers are risking another poor attempt at a "problem" story line. As with Steve's depression, hoarding has no instant fix and I will be surprised if they bother to give it the depth of attention the story, done properly, would need.

An early pointer is the lazy scene setting - random piles of very clean items, negligible dust and dirt and the scene with the torn newspaper.

Roy, knowing his character as we do, would assess the situation, go away, research the problem - then come back with a considered plan of action.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    she did didn't she? I'd assumed she spent all her money on crap and had her electricity cut off. Also wasn't there a weird thing with her ice cream defrosting, or am I thinking of someone else? Also who were the bailiffs working for? Maybe saying she could'nt find the kettle was just an excuse?

I thought she said that the freezer was broken as an excuse to eat in the cafe and be near Roy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she said that the freezer was broken as an excuse to eat in the cafe and be near Roy?

Same here, a very odd story line. It's almost as if they've changed their mind on its way forward.

I was, initially, with the "Hayley's son's mother" theory.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »

Hoarders tend not to spend all their money on hoarding, so it's an odd storyline. They spend their money at the exact same rate as everyone else, but instead of throwing things out when they're finished with them (even newspapers and magazines), they hold on to them and that's where all the clutter comes from.

There was a suggestion with the six typewriters that she was deliberately going out to buy things to clutter the house up even further, but that's not how hoarders work at all. A hoarder would only have the actual typewriters she had used before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janet43
    Yes, I have.

I don't doubt you have some kind of qualifications or other relating to science and quite frankly, I don't care. This is a thread for all not and not The Christmas Lectures. I suspect there are a lot of us FMs who hold degrees and post grad qualifications. Posters come on this forum for a bit of fun and to complain about Corrie! It is chat and not a knee-jerk reaction.

FMs post on any topics we like. We don't have to be an expert. If you think you have a case then report the posts to the mods.

BIB Correct. And where's the harm in speculation? There's no harm done. It is not insulting to Alex Bain as previously suggested.

Ex Pat wrote: »
    Who cares?
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    Quite!

There there must be more appropriate locations for this verbal diarrhea to be vented and more appropriate targets than those enjoying a harmless, fun thread on Digital Spy.
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Wow! That is industrial strength pomposity. All over a daft, wee lad on a soap. You ought to turn that highly developed intellect and intelligence towards the search for a life, dear.

Amen! :)
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the considered responses - it's good to get things off your chest, although I'd have preferred it face to face.

I shall have a very enjoyable evening (although that's probably not the right word considering this evening's episode), and hope everyone does too.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,955
    Forum Member
    Janet43 is right - it's perfectly possible for Simon to be the child of Peter and Lucy, just as it would be for Erica at 49 years old to become pregnant.

I don't find I have to suspend disbelief to accept Simon as Peter's son - the same actor's always played the part and I've seen him grow and change gradually, so for me he just is Simon Barlow. I can't stand the cheeky little git (Simon, not the actor) but it doesn't jar at all that he's the child of his supposed parents.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Janet43 is right - it's perfectly possible for Simon to be the child of Peter and Lucy, just as it would be for Erica at 49 years old to become pregnant.

I don't find I have to suspend disbelief to accept Simon as Peter's son - the same actor's always played the part and I've seen him grow and change gradually, so for me he just is Simon Barlow. I can't stand the cheeky little git (Simon, not the actor) but it doesn't jar at all that he's the child of his supposed parents.

It isn't really possible for Erica to be pregnant because she was original cast as a 60 something year old woman. This was stated by Mr Blackburn himself.
    As they seem to frequently do these days, they moved the goalposts and started claiming she was around 50.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,955
    Forum Member
    It isn't really possible for Erica to be pregnant because she was original cast as a 60 something year old woman. This was stated by Mr Blackburn himself.
    As they seem to frequently do these days, they moved the goalposts and started claiming she was around 50.

Well if she was 60 it would be an SOR :D ;-)

Can't believe the writers thought of putting Nick with someone of 60 :confused::D They didn't need to get a new actor in for that - Liz would have done...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the considered responses - it's good to get things off your chest, although I'd have preferred it face to face.

I shall have a very enjoyable evening (although that's probably not the right word considering this evening's episode), and hope everyone does too.

Ooh how aggressive. Why insult other FMs and make silly OTT comments about a trivial issue on a forum in the first place then?! :D
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Well if she was 60 it would be an SOR :D ;-)

Can't believe the writers thought of putting Nick with someone of 60 :confused::D They didn't need to get a new actor in for that - Liz would have done...

In my opinion, Erika does look in her early 60's.

No idea why. Perhaps a hard paper round or she may be a heavy smoker.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very poignant episode at the Barlow household. I almost felt their tears were real. I felt quite choked myself
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deirdres funeral is scheduled for Monday night (and as we know time travels slower in soap land) ..so that's 5 days time. possibly less in soap time.

There would have to be an inquest as it was sudden.... A funeral that quickly is very unrealistic.

Apologies in advance to anyone who begins talk of disrespect etc, but this is the storyline and character im referring to obviously
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deirdres funeral is scheduled for Monday night (and as we know time travels slower in soap land) ..so that's 5 days time. possibly less in soap time.

There would have to be an inquest as it was sudden.... A funeral that quickly is very unrealistic.

Apologies in advance to anyone who begins talk of disrespect etc, but this is the storyline and character im referring to obviously

If there's any disrespect it's that, after such a long period since Anne Kirkbride died, they've now rushed her final story line.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies in advance but IMHO that was very poorly written episode even by recent standards. Diredre was in the garden enjoying the sunshine early afternoon when Bev finds her. So she calls the ambulance, they arrive do what they have to do. Bev then jumps in the car and gets to Weatherfield a few hours later, which seems pretty urealistic.

Now I know Deirdres specs are iconic, bu that scene where she gave Ken the glasses was embarrasing.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not the intention
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QU

An early pointer is the lazy scene setting - random piles of very clean items, negligible dust and dirt

Well looked after house plants behind all the piles too.
This discussion has been closed.