Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very poignant episode at the Barlow household. I almost felt their tears were real. I felt quite choked myself

I think they were.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,962
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, Erika does look in her early 60's.

No idea why. Perhaps a hard paper round or she may be a heavy smoker.

I agree - Erica doesn't look great for 49/50 - but that is the age of the character. It makes her a good match for Nick, as I think he's supposed to be in his early to mid thirties :o
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the considered responses - it's good to get things off your chest, although I'd have preferred it face to face.

I shall have a very enjoyable evening (although that's probably not the right word considering this evening's episode), and hope everyone does too.
    How can a forum be face to face? :confused: (although, an SOR meet-up at the coro studio tour might be good:cool:)
    Very poignant episode at the Barlow household. I almost felt their tears were real. I felt quite choked myself

I was howling. :blush: It was harrowing.
    deirdres funeral is scheduled for Monday night (and as we know time travels slower in soap land) ..so that's 5 days time. possibly less in soap time.

There would have to be an inquest as it was sudden.... A funeral that quickly is very unrealistic.

Apologies in advance to anyone who begins talk of disrespect etc, but this is the storyline and character im referring to obviously
    I suppose they can whiz the story forward two or three weeks?
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Apologies in advance but IMHO that was very poorly written episode even by recent standards. Diredre was in the garden enjoying the sunshine early afternoon when Bev finds her. So she calls the ambulance, they arrive do what they have to do. Bev then jumps in the car and gets to Weatherfield a few hours later, which seems pretty urealistic.

Now I know Deirdres specs are iconic, bu that scene where she gave Ken the glasses was embarrasing.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not the intention

Why on earth would they give Bev her glasses? :confused:
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I thought that episode was awful. Rushed, poor acting, unbelievable responses and choppy cutscenes. One long SOR :( very disappointed.
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose they can whiz the story forward two or three weeks?

they never do that- ever!

you can guarantee its gonna be one or two days of speaking about "tomorrow" then all of a sudden it will be upon us.

I'll be watching and listening with eagle eyes. and ears.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe its just me but I'm sort of ignoring any SOR's to do with the timeframes for Deidre's funeral.

I just wanted to watch the scenes and see how the actors reacted to the news, knowing that in real life she had died.

Sometimes this thread takes itself too seriously.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies in advance but IMHO that was very poorly written episode even by recent standards. Diredre was in the garden enjoying the sunshine early afternoon when Bev finds her. So she calls the ambulance, they arrive do what they have to do. Bev then jumps in the car and gets to Weatherfield a few hours later, which seems pretty urealistic.

Now I know Deirdres specs are iconic, bu that scene where she gave Ken the glasses was embarrasing.

It was a poor copy of Hilda Ogden's iconic scene when Stan died. Me, I thought, why bring her glasses and nothing else, like her wedding ring, etc?

I think we all need to accept that, unless it's not insensitive to make a negative comment about these scenes.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a SOR, but why did we need the crap with Callum and Sarah in tonights episode, and surely the stuff with Kathy and Roy could have also been saved for another episode.

The whole episode should have been about Deidre, her friends and family etc, the other scenes just ruined the emotional impact of it all.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    It was a poor copy of Hilda Ogden's iconic scene when Stan died. Me, I thought, why bring her glasses and nothing else, like her wedding ring, etc?

I think we all need to accept that, unless it's not insensitive to make a negative comment about these scenes.

Couldnt agree with you more. When the glasses appeared I thought Hilda. Still think the Hilda with Stans things were the best Corry every did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhp1J0Usng
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but I thought that episode was awful. Rushed, poor acting, unbelievable responses and choppy cutscenes. One long SOR :( very disappointed.
    Totally agree, terrible acting. Think I will miss it for a few episodes could not stand watching the 'Barlow Bunch' play this out.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a SOR, but why did we need the crap with Callum and Sarah in tonights episode, and surely the stuff with Kathy and Roy could have also been saved for another episode.

The whole episode should have been about Deidre, her friends and family etc, the other scenes just ruined the emotional impact of it all.

Agreed!!! Sarah/Callum - random and unnecessary, Roy/Kathy - easily left to another night.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    The emotion was real, but plenty of hammy acting on show. Really hope we get an episode with the Barlows only.

Not sure why Michelle was shoehorned to comfort Emily.

And why did Cathy ask Roy to shut up shop to help her? Silly bint.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Ooh how aggressive. Why insult other FMs and make silly OTT comments about a trivial issue on a forum in the first place then?! :D
    You can read words any why you like and you've chosen a way in which it was not intended. Your problem, not mine.

If you can't accept my post in the spirit in which it was meant, then there really is no point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The emotions were real as unlike kal and maddies deaths the actors really are mourning. I think Eileen Derbyshire broke down for real.

Clare king and Andrew paul must feel like they've gate crashed a funeral and they wouldn't have known annie or worked with her
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,962
    Forum Member
    The emotion was real, but plenty of hammy acting on show. Really hope we get an episode with the Barlows only.

Not sure why Michelle was shoehorned to comfort Emily.

And why did Cathy ask Roy to shut up shop to help her? Silly bint.

I'm really starting to hate her :D One minute she's all pathetic and humble, the next throwing her weight around and snapping. I wish Roy would drop her like a ton of bricks -but that would be a bit out of character.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Considering the amount of moaning here about their "bad acting" why want the whole episode dedicated to it?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    t and the scene with the torn newspaper.

Roy said that the newspaper was seven years old, so surely it would have been yellow and faded. It looked like yesterday's edition to me.
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am glad you felt that way too - we sat thinking what a poor way to send off such a long standing member of the cast. The whole thing was unrealistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The glasses bit was silly, when my dad passed we didn't immediately get given his glasses like that, we got all his effects when we signed the death certificate a week later
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the amount of moaning here about their "bad acting" why want the whole episode dedicated to it?

I think part of the problem was how rushed it felt. The last few minutes saw everyone in the pub find out about her death, giving very little time for any mourning, memories etc.

If the whole episode was about Deidre, Bev could have turned up much sooner, and most of the second half of the ep could have been people finding out, discussing memories, more time for emotion etc.

Regarding the scene with Ken and Deidre's glasses It should have been done differently, everyone knew her for her glasses so include it somehow, but maybe in a later episode when Ken is looking at some old photos and finds an older bigger pair she used to wear, which were more iconic to viewers, it could have been at the end of the funeral episode with Ken alone in his bedroom, and they could play voice clips of Ken and Deidre speaking whilst Ken is looking at the photos, then the very last scene is Ken finding the glasses and crying, then silent end credits play and a photo of Anne at the end.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of the problem was how rushed it felt. The last few minutes saw everyone in the pub find out about her death, giving very little time for any mourning, memories etc.

If the whole episode was about Deidre, Bev could have turned up much sooner, and most of the second half of the ep could have been people finding out, discussing memories, more time for emotion etc.

Regarding the scene with Ken and Deidre's glasses It should have been done differently, everyone knew her for her glasses so include it somehow, but maybe in a later episode when Ken is looking at some old photos and finds an older bigger pair she used to wear, which were more iconic to viewers, it could have been at the end of the funeral episode with Ken alone in his bedroom, and they could play voice clips of Ken and Deidre speaking whilst Ken is looking at the photos, then the very last scene is Ken finding the glasses and crying, then silent end credits play and a photo of Anne at the end.

Good point.

We'll wait and see, I hope the Barlow's reminiscing next week will be good and not too overshadowed by the boring Callum and Sarah stuff.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just glad that we didn't have to see Sean's reaction to the news!
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member

I agree. I would have preferred the whole episode to be about Deirdre.

Would anyone really be insensitive enough to break the news to her close friends like Emily in the pub instead of telling them in private? And before the grandchildren knew?
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Im just surprised that Bev just showed up to break the news to Ken et all several hours after Deirdre diedl. WhatThe obvious course would have been to phone him as soon as..
    For all she knew, Ken would have wanted to be there.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would anyone really be insensitive enough to break the news to her close friends like Emily in the pub instead of telling them in private? And before the grandchildren knew?

Difficult one. Everybody was gathered in the pub waiting for Dedere's arrival. Liz could hardly walk back and pretend nothing had happened.

If someone asked Emily to come out, she would be concerned, and say she was waiting for Deirdere's return.
This discussion has been closed.