Options

why do people say Christina Aguilera copys everybody?

Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
Forum Member
Ever since her new video came out today i've seen loads of:

"she copied Lady Gaga, shes ripped off Madonna, seems like something Gwen Stefani would do"

honestly Christina can sing x10 better than Gaga, Madonna and Gwen she doesn't copy them at all! and i wish somebody would shut Perez Hilton up :rolleyes:.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I think the problem is, she takes her time over her material - huge gaps in between albums by today's standards - and inevitably, in that intervening time other artists have come out and done similar things. Nobody is truly original nowadays, not even that idiot Gaga. Her only individual/original trait is the fact that she wears the most weird outfits she can find - but even that isn't original as people have purposefully pushed the envelope before (Madonna for one).

I like Christina Aguilera, I think she has talent and passion for what she does. I think it's unfair to compare her to loads of other people and saying she is copying them when there are many more literally copycat artists, out to make a quick buck.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I don't know :cry:

You would think that after 12 years in the business people would understand that she doesn't need to copy others to be sucessful. I think its just fans of other acts just trying to wind the Christina fans up.

It's pathetic actually. :sleep:

Personaly i love all the above mentioned acts and wish fans would stop arguing for the sake of arguing :rolleyes: "Oooooh Christina is wearing the same shows Britney wore back in 2002, she is soooo unoriginal"... who cares?!?!?! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I don't think she has copied anyone, and any similarities have been purely coincidental.

As the above posters have said, I think its difficult for anyone to be completley original nowadays seeing as almost everything has been done before. However, Christina has something that puts her miles ahead of her peers- her voice.

She doesn't even need to make creative videos or do anything controversial to garner attention, her voice alone can do that. But I feel she's serious about her craft and likes to experiment. I for one respect the fact that she always takes risks and gets on with her life without caring what other people think.
  • Options
    caren197caren197 Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea :confused:

If anything i think it's a joke the comparisons. How can you say she's copied Lady gaga???? Christina has been around for over a decade if there's a copycat argument surely it would be the other way round. It doesn't make sense!!

I like Christina, out of that list she and Gwen are the only ones i really have time for. Gaga and Madonna are overrated imo.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Christina is a talented woman BUT there is something a bit boring about her I think in terms of media, she doesn't have an identity as such and can comes across as a bit of an attention seeker.

I saw her live show I think it was 2006 and she was doing the circus/carnival theme before Pink and Britney tho.

It was a good show, she has a great voice but she was devoid of personailty.

During the Dirrrrty days you would think "Christina Aguilera - ooh weird piercings and clown make up". That's the only identity that worked for her I think.
    The Marylin Monroe or whatever the other phase was was a mistake for her. All this "Oh I'm so classy now aren't I a grown up" just didn't work.

She tends to change image and sound frequently (as you would expect an artist to) but the thing is I still think of her as a "new" artist where as she has been around for ten years and 12-14 year olds will probably see her as ripping off Gaga because Gaga is whats current for them.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Christina is a talented woman BUT there is something a bit boring about her I think in terms of media, she doesn't have an identity as such and can comes across as a bit of an attention seeker.

I saw her live show I think it was 2006 and she was doing the circus/carnival theme before Pink and Britney tho.

It was a good show, she has a great voice but she was devoid of personailty.

During the Dirrrrty days you would think "Christina Aguilera - ooh weird piercings and clown make up". That's the only identity that worked for her I think.
    The Marylin Monroe or whatever the other phase was was a mistake for her. All this "Oh I'm so classy now aren't I a grown up" just didn't work.

She tends to change image and sound frequently (as you would expect an artist to) but the thing is I still think of her as a "new" artist where as she has been around for ten years and 12-14 year olds will probably see her as ripping off Gaga because Gaga is whats current for them.

Just my opinion.

Christina has never put herself 'out there' as a media personality. She's put herself out there as an artist and done crazy things in her music videos but she's never 'pimped' herself out based on her personal life like alot of other celebs do. I think thats part of the reason why some people may be disengaged with her... because she isnt a Cheryl Cole, Lindsay Lohan 'paparazzi' friendly kind of celebrity.

In regards to her musical image, I like the fact that she changes her style with every album. The thing that defines her musically is her voice, but genre wise, I feel she is interested in lots of different types of music and she tries to reflect this in her albums. Also, I thought she was very classy during the B2B era... in fact.. I always think she's been classy. As I said earlier, she has never been a media who is 'famous for being famous'- she's always been about the music and that puts her ahead of her peers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for Christina, she just cannot win. If she does something out-there, like her last album, its not commercial and people say she's irrelevant. If she does something current, like Dirty and her new song, she's being generic. If she sings, she's oversinging and wailing, if she doesn't sing people are like WHY ISNT SHE SINGING.

People are going to hate whatever she does. I think she knows that.

I agree with Chocolate, she doesn't need to do all this stuff, she would sell just as many records - more probably - if she just stood there and sang because she has a stunning voice. But I like that she takes risks and she was taking risks long before GaGa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Christina has never put herself 'out there' as a media personality. She's put herself out there as an artist and done crazy things in her music videos but she's never 'pimped' herself out based on her personal life like alot of other celebs do.

Well that's not entirely true, I mean if posing naked while heavily pregnant and boasting about her sex life and "naked Sundays" with her husband isn't pimping out her personal life I'm not sure what is.
    Not to mention the infamous "peeing in a bucket in front of dancers" story. (if that's fake I will retract.) Hardly classy if true.

She's not as bad as other celebs granted but I do think she likes attention for things other than her music.
    She made a point of how Britney got all the attention from her kiss with Madonna and she was barely noticable.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand it either.
    I mean just look at her earlier work (I'm not good with her songs) but those outfits were in the same trash-trend that Lady Gaga wears today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that's not entirely true, I mean if posing naked while heavily pregnant and boasting about her sex life and "naked Sundays" with her husband isn't pimping out her personal life I'm not sure what is.
    Not to mention the infamous "peeing in a bucket in front of dancers" story. (if that's fake I will retract.) Hardly classy if true.

She's not as bad as other celebs granted but I do think she likes attention for things other than her music.
    She made a point of how Britney got all the attention from her kiss with Madonna and she was barely noticable.

Agree with this post. Before people jump on me, I am a major Christina fan, always have been.

I think she does come across as attention seeking with all this 'sexual' talk. I feel bad for her son when he's old enough and reads it all. (your own) parents and sex should never spoken about ever!!!

I think she would like to be in the media more, then skies away a bit. It's tricky, you can't have it both ways and she clearly is an attention seeker naturally to be in the industry she is in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I love Christina. All celebs have to pimp them selves out sometimes LOL. but she isnt like all the other singers or her peers she isnt really known for her personal life or gossiped about so i think the only thing the media and haterz have on her is to compare her to whoever is out there and because she rarely acknowledges this stuff people keep on hating or pushing trying to get her to say somthing perhaps.. never taking in the fact that she has over a decade on them.

as for her new video I dont think it was copyin Madonna more like paying tribute or homage to her but also adding a little bit of her flavour to it. :)
  • Options
    ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    As a Christina fan I'm very annoyed with it. Her new video isn't that far removed from her Dirrty video which she released in 2002. So go figure.

I've come to the conclusion that it is Britney fanbois and very, very young Gaga stans. I've seen ten a dozen comments on youtube under her new video with comments like ''She is a mom now this is sick'' yet their usernames are like 'Britney rocks' and so on! I mean is the irony lost? :confused: Britney was the one naked in her Womanizer video!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just annoys me a bit that Christina has gone backwards it seems, in trying to be overtly sexual again. I mean, all this stuff about flirting with lesbianism in all this just smacks of desperation a bit...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fif.fif wrote: »
    Just annoys me a bit that Christina has gone backwards it seems, in trying to be overtly sexual again. I mean, all this stuff about flirting with lesbianism in all this just smacks of desperation a bit...

It is a typical american songstress thing to do - claim you like your own sex to sell your music.

Blame Madonna, she started it all off as we all know and she has become rather tedious and pathetic in recent years with her attention-grabbing antics :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    fif.fif wrote: »

i think the whole thing is to jus grab everyones attention which she knows how to do, and then when everyone thinks she is some sexed up wannabe then she will drop the real things, like she did with Dirrty and Beautiful :)
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the point of the video is she is not herself tonight, she's an original and tonight she's playing dress up as Ga Ga and Madge.

Too high concept.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkii wrote: »
    i think the whole thing is to jus grab everyones attention which she knows how to do, and then when everyone thinks she is some sexed up wannabe then she will drop the real things, like she did with Dirrty and Beautiful :)

Yeep. She did with her debut and she did it with Stripped and both turned out fine. She starts with a bang, then brings the goods. I love the people who actually think NMT is the best song on the album lol.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Christina fan I'm very annoyed with it. Her new video isn't that far removed from her Dirrty video which she released in 2002. So go figure.

I've come to the conclusion that it is Britney fanbois and very, very young Gaga stans. I've seen ten a dozen comments on youtube under her new video with comments like ''She is a mom now this is sick'' yet their usernames are like 'Britney rocks' and so on! I mean is the irony lost? :confused: Britney was the one naked in her Womanizer video!

And why have you reached that conculsion?:confused: Maybe, just maybe they don't like her. She is very talented, but I've also heard on the grapevine she can be a bit of a bitch behind the scenes, which may have put the media off her a bit. Certainly in those early days when she was having her rivalry wit Britney Christina came accross has having a major attitude problem. I know it must have been very frustrating for someone like Christina with genuine talent to be compared with a tone deaf Barbie doll like Britney, but she could have handled that a lot better than she did.

I think that Christina has just been very unlucky. When she first arrived on the scene all blond hair and cheesy pop, Britney had pipped her to the post. Then it was Pink, then it was Gwen, now its Gaga. Unfortunatly when ever Christina is releasing new material and updating her look another female singer with a similar image is getting in before her. Its bad timing on her part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since stripped her music has dropped in quality
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that Christina has just been very unlucky. When she first arrived on the scene all blond hair and cheesy pop, Britney had pipped her to the post.

I don't think she had planned to be cheesy pop though, as far as I know the record company deliberately marketed her image as a Britney rival, something that Christina was not thrilled about.

The fans might no more about that one tho, I could be wrong.

Pink suffered a similar fate her first album was the work of the record company trying to market her a certain way.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she had planned to be cheesy pop though, as far as I know the record company deliberately marketed her image as a Britney rival, something that Christina was not thrilled about.

Pink suffered a similar fate her first album was the work of the record company trying to market her a certain way.

That's possible.I can remember the first time I ever saw the video for Genie in a Bottle and thinking she was copying Britney, and I didn't even like Britney that much! Eveything was similar from the way she was dressed to the awful synchronised dance routines(Christina's dancing was never up to Britney's standard, that was one area where Britney pissed all over her).
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Christina's does come across a copycat, like someone said if she came out with this sound before Lady Gaga...the tables would have definitely turned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Correct, Christina wanted to release a ballad first to show that she was a serious vocalist and not just a pop-tart. Thats why they did a lot of stripped back performances of Genie all over TV, so she could show off her vocal chops as well as getting publicity from the Britney rivalry. Her label thought a ballad would flop so they went with Genie because of the obvious comparison to Britney.

What I always find hilarious about that era is that Christina actually had more US number ones during the debut period.
    Muffin999 wrote: »
    since stripped her music has dropped in quality

Whilst Stripped is vastly superior to Back to Basics, Hurt is one of best ballads I've ever heard imo.
    Fashion wrote: »
    Christina's does come across a copycat, like someone said if she came out with this sound before Lady Gaga...the tables would have definitely turned.

Whats annoying about it is that there are interviews with Christina back in 2006 saying she was planning this sound. If she had said nothing and just come out with this now I would probably say she was jumping on the bandwagon too but technically she was on the bandwagon before it set off.

What annoys me about the comparisons is that she's always compared to people whom she is vastly more talented than.
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perez speaks the truth. Christina is jealous of what Gaga has become, and is trying to make herself be "different" and "edgy" in her new video like Gaga.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    mangomoon wrote: »
    Perez speaks the truth. Christina is jealous of what Gaga has become, and is trying to make herself be "different" and "edgy" in her new video like Gaga.

Agreed.

I wish someone could find that quote she said about Lady GaGa way back when, which was something along the lines of "I'm not sure if it's male or female". Jealous now, eh Xtina? :)