BBC HD to close, replaced with BBC Two HD

Comments

• figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    On Wednesday night, only 7.1% of its viewers watched BBC2's Brain Doctors in HD. Only 1.5% for Newsnight.

So for one hour, it's no big deal.
    and out of the 7.1% how many would choose/be able to watch 3D?
    lbear wrote: »
    A lot of HD equipment will allow the viewer to watch a 3D transmission as a single image, albeit with a reduced horizontal definition.
    and even more would not.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    and out of the 7.1% how many would choose/be able to watch 3D?

and even more would not.

I expect the demand for Doctor Who would be very high as it fits the 'demo' much more than Strictly, Mr Stink or Last Night of the Proms.

I suppose BBC2 could show their normal early Saturday evening programmes like Dad's Army which aren't in HD anyway.

Problem solved.
  • disremberdisrember Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    So at least one more channel can be put on 11.022 H I find this article referred to in previous post only tells half the story and raises more questions than answers.

yes... I agree...

If you go back to Danielle Naglers last interview she said that the BBC would be looking to do another HD channel, but this wouldnt be a BBC 3/4 HD channel, but one that would be used for 3D and other needs.. All this so far has gone as she said.

I think another BBC HD channel is on its way... maybe they are awaiting the ofcom decision on the 600/700 spectrum

maybe they are awaiting to see if anyone will buy the extra hd channel

lots of maybes... hopefully we will find out soon
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come you all forget that there is a spare channel on the BBC B mux? This was initially reserved for Five HD but they have given up their chance for the second time

BBC had put it out for bids for use but used it last year for the special HD red button service during the Olympics.

I did mention that potential use in another thread (one in Broadcasting I think it was).
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt another BBC HD will appear any time soon - they've already said it's too expensive to run. BBCi HD is far more likely IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a big deal to the vast majority of HD viewers who don't watch 3D.
    Well, only those who would want to watch whatever would have been scheduled on BBC Two HD at that time - I don't actually think that they would do it, I was simply answering a post saying that they couldn't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of HD equipment will allow the viewer to watch a 3D transmission as a single image, albeit with a reduced horizontal definition.

So a crippled HD image then, only available to a select number with the correct HDTV.

Still, as with the exclusive use of BBC Two HD, just because they can do something doesn't mean that they will.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So a crippled HD image then, only available to a select number with the correct HDTV.

Well, the last few 3D broadcasts on BBC HD on Freeview
    have used a 'Red Button' MHEG application to allow you
    to stretch the left hand image to full screen. Yes, of course
    you end up with a 960 x 1080 res picture, but it works very well,
    and is still better than sludgy old SD.

Not sure whether the Beeb have managed to write the same application for Sky and Freesat D-Sat platforms ?
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, only those who would want to watch whatever would have been scheduled on BBC Two HD at that time - I don't actually think that they would do it, I was simply answering a post saying that they couldn't
    I've just realised you are suggesting Dr Who is on 3 channels at the same time (BBC1 SD, BBC1 HD and BBC2 3D). I thought you meant 2 (BBC2 SD and BBC2 3D). I didn't know Dr Who was on BBC ONE!
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Wednesday night, only 7.1% of its viewers watched BBC2's Brain Doctors in HD. Only 1.5% for Newsnight.

So for one hour, it's no big deal.
    What were the figures for the last time there was a Dr Who 3D trial special?

Using figures for BBC2 is rather an obvious choice if you want to diminish the viewing figures for HD. Dr Who is now shown on BBC1 and not the minority channel BBC2.

I would also suggest that the demographics of the Whovian viewing audience make it far more likely that they will have a 3D capable television than for the audience of either Brain Doctors or Newsnight.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    What were the figures for the last time there was a Dr Who 3D trial special?

Using figures for BBC2 is rather an obvious choice if you want to diminish the viewing figures for HD. Dr Who is now shown on BBC1 and not the minority channel BBC2.

I would also suggest that the demographics of the Whovian viewing audience make it far more likely that they will have a 3D capable television than for the audience of either Brain Doctors or Newsnight.

I think that's what he's saying. On one day for between 60 and 90 minutes the schedule looks like this:

BBC1 SD: Doctor Who (SD version)
    BBC1 HD: Doctor Who (HD, 2D version)
    BBC2 HD: Doctor Who (3D version)
    BBC2 SD: Whatever BBC2 have scheduled (Dad's Army or whatever :))

How many people (avid viewers of BBC2's HD output) would that inconvenience or annoy? Seemingly not many

Maybe they'll throw it up on some other (temporary?) channel or other. But I can just as easily see the announcement being "And if you have a 3D capable TV and silly glasses please switch over to BBC2HD now!" (and on BBC2HD another announcement "And if you don't want to watch Doctor Who or don't have a 3D TV, please switch to our BBC2SD channel now. It's only for an hour. Chill."
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    BBC1 HD: Doctor Who (HD, 2D version)
    BBC2 HD: Doctor Who (3D version)
    BBC2 SD: Whatever BBC2 have scheduled (Dad's Army or whatever :))
    Unlikely because if BBC Two HD is a simulcast of BBC Two England (which it's meant to be), they can't just change what's being shown on one without affecting the other. They'd need some sort of opt-out like BBC One England HD's regional news.

Seems more likely to do something like this:

BBC1 HD: Doctor Who (HD version)
    BBCi HD: Doctor Who (3D version)
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »

Not sure whether the Beeb have managed to write the same application for Sky and Freesat D-Sat platforms ?

I've seen it on Freesat too. However the other fundamental flaw (the first being loss of 50% resolution) in this approach is that the MHEG application is not available on a recording.
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Unlikely because if BBC Two HD is a simulcast of BBC Two England (which it's meant to be), they can't just change what's being shown on one without affecting the other. They'd need some sort of opt-out like BBC One England HD's regional news.

Are you talking about it being a technical limitation? I was mainly responding to people who don't like the idea of having to watch their BBC2 shows in SD for one hour.

If it's a technical limitation then excuse my ignorance on that. I thought it might be as I suggested because that's what I see they do with the regional stuff on BBC1HD - it either shows red screen or (as with Inside Out) they show one region's version on HD and if you want your local one you switch to BBC1SD.

When you say "BBCi HD", are you referring to an internet stream?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    But not as good as a proper HD image (which was the point, a point that I am sure would cause consternation fro a number of viewers).

I am sure that the BBC would not dare do this for BBC one HD - they would leave that as the native HD image, especially for such a flagship episode.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlikely because if BBC Two HD is a simulcast of BBC Two England (which it's meant to be), they can't just change what's being shown on one without affecting the other.

Yes they can. They're two separate broadcasts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised you are suggesting Dr Who is on 3 channels at the same time (BBC1 SD, BBC1 HD and BBC2 3D). I thought you meant 2 (BBC2 SD and BBC2 3D). I didn't know Dr Who was on BBC ONE!
    No problem - as a DW fan I can confirm that DW is a BBC one programme (sometimes repeated on BBC Three).
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they can. They're two separate broadcasts.

But they will be one common play out ..... (like BBC one ..) that is the GREAT cost saving by closing BBC HD
    (but you can alway over plug things)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would be my thinking as well.
    Forum Member

I'm a bit lost on this now mossy! Can you clarify what "BBCi HD" is? Is there going to be a technical hindrance for the BBC to transmit a different show on BBC2SD and BBC2HD? Are they going to operate in such a way that whatever is broadcast on BBC2SD MUST be shown simultaneously on BBC2HD?

As you can see the technicalities of broadcasting aren't my speciality.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »

When you say "BBCi HD", are you referring to an internet stream?
    No this is the interactive HD channel on Freeview Channel 303, which is live at the moment on the BBC B (HD) mux showing a simple "303" white on black background still slide.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Assuming another broadcaster doesn't take over the slot. The vagueness of the announcement suggests they will show the 3D content but haven't made a firm decision on which channel they will use.

Put your crystal balls away people. :p
    Forum Member
    No this is the interactive HD channel on Freeview Channel 303, which is live at the moment on the BBC B (HD) mux showing a simple "303" white on black background still slide.

Thank you for clarifying. In which case - that's a possibility I didn't know about when I wrote my post above. I just rather simplistically thought that because the press release said the 3D Doctor Who was going to be broadcast using "BBC HD", then it simply translated as "....which will be called BBC2 HD by November."

Thanks for clarifying. As someone said above - seems to be a few different ways to do it. I was just venturing the opinion that IF they hijacked the BBC2HD for an hour, then it probably wouldn't cause very much upset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Assuming another broadcaster doesn't take over the slot. The vagueness of the announcement suggests they will show the 3D content but haven't made a firm decision on which channel they will use.
    Well, there have been three attempts to sell this slot, all seem to have floundered. the last attempt was a short-notice one early December last year, with a closing date of the 14th Dec (I think, it was definitely December though). As it was a short-notice bid to re-advertise the slot, I would have thought that we would have heard something by now.

As for which channel they might use, we have given the possibilities as they stand.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there have been three attempts to sell this slot, all seem to have floundered. the last attempt was a short-notice one early December last year, with a closing date of the 14th Dec (I think, it was definitely December though). As it was a short-notice bid to re-advertise the slot, I would have thought that we would have heard something by now.

Indeed, demand does not seem to be high.
    As for which channel they might use, we have given the possibilities as they stand.

Yes, the possibilities; it will either be BBC Two HD, if they decide to break away from the SD simulcast, or BBCi HD, if they keep the BBC Two simulcast, decide to open up this slot for a relatively short period and assuming it is still available. Time will tell. :p