✭✭✭
Out of

Australia
USA & Canada
UK
Europe
Asia
Japan

I think I have to say us UK because I have been using USTV Now to assess some of there channels but there is not really much on them unless you stay up after 12am if watching stuff live.
Though there is lots of news channels which can be interesting for me when big events happen like hurricanes and bad weather plus other stuff.

I don't know any sites that stream any Australia channels?
So cannot really say it looks much like a mix of our TV and US.

Comments

• Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    Out of

Australia
    USA & Canada
    UK
    Europe
    Asia
    Japan

I think I have to say us UK because I have been using USTV Now to assess some of there channels but there is not really much on them unless you stay up after 12am if watching stuff live.
    Though there is lots of news channels which can be interesting for me when big events happen like hurricanes and bad weather plus other stuff.

I don't know any sites that stream any Australia channels?
    So cannot really say it looks much like a mix of our TV and US.
    Well I must say, I think UK drama has gone downhill in recent years. And some of the best drama has come from the USA in recent years.
    Ian.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in the UK with Sky I get just about every TV programme I could ever want.

In terms of output, I think the US has easily the best comedies, and the action series are also the best. UK does well with nature documentaries and the like. I don't watch many dramas, but Mad Men is excellent.

The US has a lot of dross, and the adverts can be annoying, but with DVR it's now very easy to record and watch good programmes, and skip the ads.

If I had to be anywhere to watch telly in 2013, all things considered I'd take the UK.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,265
    Forum Member
    It's certainly not the UK, too many soaps, reality shows, and adverts.

Australia make the best comedies, but their drama's are lightyears behind the USA's.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the very best of our TV is better than the very best of anyone else's TV. But on average, I doubt we have the best TV due to the sheer amount of crap being shown.
  • Options
    livininadavelivininadave Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    UK has the best soaps (certainly in terms of acting, not so sure about plots)
    US has the better serial stuff (Homeland/24/The Shield - that sort of thing. Nowhere else does that sort of stuff better)
    UK definitely does comedy better, but there's not been anything really funny for a few years.
    US telly is generally poor though.

And lets compare Jeremy Kyle UK to Jeremy Kyle US. UK wins there!
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we in the uk do the best overall tv from quality and mix of genres and maybe the best period drama and probably the best soaps although australia isnt too far behind- the americans do other drama pretty well. the uk cando good documentaries for example attenborough type of documentaries and trevor mcdonald one and also some wonderful comedy and very good and strong formats overseas strictly come dancing with the stars the x factor and got talent to name a few we also do very well with making uk versions of foreign programmes big brother and the voice to name just a few whlst japan do the best zany tv like takeshis castle nobody else would do that would they.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a nice TV! A Decca with 26" screen in a walnut cabinet! Sailing ship light on the top with a 5w bulb at the rear so the bright pictures don't hurt our eyes! So I claim the prize!:D
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    It's certainly not the UK, too many soaps, reality shows, and adverts.

Australia make the best comedies, but their drama's are lightyears behind the USA's.

What are all these brilliant Aussie comedies? Kath & Kim and Summer Heights High - the only ones that were big here - were years ago.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It depends on the Genre.

The US has some great Dramas.

The UK has some great Documentaries.

e.t.c
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And lets compare Jeremy Kyle UK to Jeremy Kyle US. UK wins there!
    We're all losers there.