Derek Griffiths

Comments

• NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I saw him in that recent BBC3 comedy about the lads who set up an assisted suicide group. It's first time I've seen him on TV in years!

I remember ragtime but only now that you mention it.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were always kids tv presenters you knew deep down were a bit "iffy" but there are a few decent ones that are totally trustworthy and honest and Derek Griffiths is one of them.

Thank god not all our childhood tv friends are like the odious one now facing the courts.

You're assuming a lot, about people who have not been convicted of anything as of yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annielou wrote: »
    I saw him on the stage at Stratford on Avon in Twelfth Night (RSC) about 1994.

I immediately recognised him from my childhood in the 70s in Playaway and it was a bit strange to see him in Shakespeare but he was very good, playing one of the comedy characters.

He was also in Taming of The Shrew with Josie Lawerence and Robin Nedwell.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Wasnt he the singer on the Prius car advert? :D

yes :)
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're assuming a lot, about people who have not been convicted of anything as of yet.

You can still be odious in many ways and not be convicted of a crime even if you are not guilty in fact and in law.

Be dangerous to assume anything until the law takes its course! ;)
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the guy. Derek worked on a show called 'Hi Summer'. Don't really remember it but it was a variety show with a few big names for its era. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXVtbgl3wc
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »
    I love the guy. Derek worked on a show called 'Hi Summer'. Don't really remember it but it was a variety show with a few big names for its era. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXVtbgl3wc

Brian Tilsey(Chris Quintin) is the main dancing section.

Ahhh the days of good quality decent family entertainment. :)
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else recall 70s kids' show Ragtime? He was one of the main presenters.

No he wasnt , he did a few of the musical segments but only featured in a few episodes , Fred Harris was the presenter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody remember this most famous face in the 1970s?

He was in Playaway but was also remembered at the Spanish waiter in the 'Don't Drink the Water' comedy series.

He was also in numerous plays and comedies. For a black actor in the 1970s when such work for such actors was not that forthcoming he seemed never to be off the screen. :)

Thank god for that he was a highly talented actor full of energy and very versatile and a joy to watch,. Some actors you know that you are going to enjoy their performance or the programme they appear in and Derek Griffiths was a rare one of those actors.
    Absolutely
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 'Heads and Tails, Heads and Tails' bouncing around my head!
    I'm sure DG sang this too
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    yes :)

Cheers, thought I recognised his voice very well!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TracerTong wrote: »
    I have 'Heads and Tails, Heads and Tails' bouncing around my head!
    I'm sure DG sang this too

99.9999% certain he did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym0lCDkVwig
    Forum Member
    Just realised thats the same tune as Heads and Shoulders (Knees and Toes), lol :D:o
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always thought that Derek Griffiths and floella Benjamin did more for our generations view of race and race relations than any amount of legislation
    Forum Member
    Floella was part of my childhood too on Playschool, Treehouse.. :)
  • Sho NuffSho Nuff Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I adored Derek Griffiths as a child. I loved every programme he was involved with.
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also thought Derek Griffiths was wonderful from the first time I saw him on children's TV. So likeable! I saw him at The Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester in 'Dick Whittington' in the 1970's and also remember him from a kids show called 'Film Fun' in the 80's where he played the cinema commisionaire, himself and the usherette, hilarious! If I recall he did the theme song for 'Bod.' Shame we see little of him these days!
    Remember him in this old public information film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UrX5XqWH4g
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I see to recall that Derek had a famous father-in-law, but cannot be sure I remember who.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    For what it's worth he also played a cameo role as a slave pedalling the steam pumps of the roman baths in the 1970 movie Up Pompeii!
    The bit where actor James Grout's charactor keeps demanding 'More steam, more steam' for anybody who remembers.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

In 1997, Griffiths originated the role of Lumière in the original West End production of Beauty and the beast at the Dominion Theatre and played the role of The child catcher in the West End run of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the London Palladium."

He was brilliant in that- saw him. Very, very talented but understated man. Good to see a thread about him.
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I wanted to post on this thread the other day but DS had locked it for being too old? :confused::confused:

Anyway, just wanted to say I liked Derek Griffiths and want a talented man he is. :)
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    For what it's worth he also played a cameo role as a slave pedalling the steam pumps of the roman baths in the 1970 movie Up Pompeii!
    The bit where actor James Grout's charactor keeps demanding 'More steam, more steam' for anybody who remembers.

And a meatier part as a 'hep cat' style Saladin in the follow up Up The Chastity Belt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Got to wait till after hes deed to find out if hes gona be a yewtree'er :p

i know i shouldn't laugh but i did
  • BatanyaBatanya Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I can remember watching Playschool with my younger sister, Derek Griffiths was sitting down and pretending to use a typewriter whilst a manic tune was playing. His facial expressions and body movements were hilarious, my sister was actually rolling around on the floor laughing. She must have been around 4 or 5 years old, she's now 40 and can still remember that sketch.

He's a genius and was one of the best things on kid's tv at the time, along with the legendary Brian Cant and Johnny Ball. Even my mum remembers Playschool fondly, despite having to watch it endlessly for years with all 3 of her kids. (She once told me that she always wanted to "rip bloody Hamble's head off") :D
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always remembered him for a kids' series called Cabbages and Kings. It was about history but told through comedy sketches - a bit like a prototype for Horrible Histories. I thought it was amazing when I was 8 or 9.