Options

Some people actually refer to the whole of the UK as 'England'

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know if anyone else notices this but I constantly hear people in London referring to Britain as a whole as being called 'England.'

For example, I was on the bus about two hours ago and someone was saying 'The English X-Factor final starts tonight, I'm so excited'....errrrrm isn't it the British finals? Someone also referred to Edinburgh as an 'English city' a few weeks ago.

Another thing which is just as ridiculous....I was born and raised in Cardiff, Wales, and people here also often assume that I needed a passport to get from Wales to England because they're different countries.

It's just so ignorant and stupid, it actually pains me

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe you.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Why would someone not just say The X Factor final? I can't say it's something I've noticed personally.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm from Northern Ireland and when the Rep of Ireland's economy required the UK to lend money one of my colleagues (working in London) asked me was I concerned about Ireland's economic situation. I said "not really beyond hoping we get paid back". She looked most confused.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    It's because England is such a nice name. Makes people think of castles and kings and knights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    It is something ive heard before (uk being called England) but your story sounds made up. As someone said, why would anyone say anything other than x factor?
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM123 wrote: »
    It is something ive heard before (uk being called England) but your story sounds made up. As someone said, why would anyone say anything other than x factor?

Might be something to do with Andrea. Isn't there one in Italy. - or is that Pop Idol?
  • Options
    allyred83allyred83 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Americans!
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland, England's largest county.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allyred83 wrote: »
    Yeah, Americans!

Oi! Some of us know better!
  • Options
    allyred83allyred83 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Oi! Some of us know better!

I know, its just the only time I've heard it is by Americans.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I'm from Northern Ireland and when the Rep of Ireland's economy required the UK to lend money one of my colleagues (working in London) asked me was I concerned about Ireland's economic situation. I said "not really beyond hoping we get paid back". She looked most confused.

I get stuff like that all the time from English colleagues. We'll be having a conversation and they'll say either I haven't been to Ireland in years or they've never been and I'll reply yea it's been a long time since I've been there and they look confused. Or if I say I'm planning on going to Ireland for a break they'll say oh but you're already in Ireland.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cobblers.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Some people also eat sugary cereals for breakfast, unnutritious sandwiches on white bread for lunch and regular takeaways for dinner without a veg in sight.

We can't all be masters and experts at everything.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be quite happy to not associate my country with X-Factor, can we please call it Scottish X-Factor, maybe Cowell could play the bagpipes at the start of each show? :p
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I don't know if anyone else notices this but I constantly hear people in London referring to Britain as a whole as being called 'England.'

Do you often hear these "voices"?
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

For example, I was on the bus about two hours ago and someone was saying 'The English X-Factor final starts tonight, I'm so excited'....errrrrm isn't it the British finals? Someone also referred to Edinburgh as an 'English city' a few weeks ago.

Another thing which is just as ridiculous....I was born and raised in Cardiff, Wales, and people here also often assume that I needed a passport to get from Wales to England because they're different countries.

Contradicting yourself. If, as you say, people think all of the UK is England then why would anyone asK if you need a passport to come from Wales?
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never use the term UK anyway, it's such an ugly prosaic and political term. Britain is much better!
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    We do a similar thing with Holland and the Netherlands, I guess. Ignorance is international. No harm meant though so no big deal.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody from the UK would say the English X Factor is on tonight. Why would they add in a superfluous word? If your post is true, it sounds like they were tourists. I live in London, I don't hear anybody saying that Britain is called England. Your post has the whiff of sullbhit about it.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody from the UK would say the English X Factor is on tonight. Why would they add in a superfluous word? If your post is true, it sounds like they were tourists. I live in London, I don't hear anybody saying that Britain is called England. Your post has the whiff of sullbhit about it.

Of course it's not true. It's just another made up story posted in order to elicit a response.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    you must move in a very dim social circle.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    I'd be quite happy to not associate my country with X-Factor, can we please call it Scottish X-Factor, maybe Cowell could play the bagpipes at the start of each show? :p

Me too and I also don't know of people who call Britain England.
  • Options
    ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Calling most of Britain England is fairly normal as far as I can see even National Geographic do it, I don't know how many articles and television programmes I've seen referring to Ancient Britain (even before England ever existed) as 'England' and even in programmes about Britain up to the second world war and until now. It a bit like referring to the whole of North America as the USA.
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, who gives a sh*t anyway? It's just a mass of rock in the ocean, call it whatever you like.

Fox news refers to our capital as Londonistan, beyond being slightly amusing and a little racist, it doesn't affect me in any way.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allyred83 wrote: »
    Yeah, Americans!

Hmmmm... Is that kind of like people referring to the people from the United States of America as Americans?