Hardworking Brits/immigrants

CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
Forum Member
Can someone clear up a point?

When Mrs Thatcher talked of cracking down on Social Security "scroungers", those to the Left of her said that British people were proud and would rather take a job, any job, rather than be unemployed. There just weren't jobs available.

When those on the Right seek to cut immigration, many people say that immigrants do the jobs that the Brits don't want to do.

Are the Brits proud and hardworking or bone idle?

I'm confused.

Comments

• BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Can someone clear up a point?

When Mrs Thatcher talked of cracking down on Social Security "scroungers", those to the Left of her said that British people were proud and would rather take a job, any job, rather than be unemployed. There just weren't jobs available.

When those on the Right seek to cut immigration, many people say that immigrants do the jobs that the Brits don't want to do.

Are the Brits proud and hardworking or bone idle?

I'm confused.

Some are, some aren't.

Some are scroungers.

There are Brits that cover the entire spectrum of proud hard working would never not work through to utter lazy bu66er who will never work.

It's up to the government to pull the rug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly, people are not all the same. Perhaps you could give us a clue as to who the 'people on the left' were so we could check what they actually said.

There certainly doesn't seem to be much of a culture of going into personal care work among young British born people. I have barely met a British born carer in 20 years.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    many people say that immigrants do the jobs that the Brits don't want to do.

I've often seen/heard this said. But I've never seen any real, proper evidence to back it up.
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Amazingly, people are not all the same. Perhaps you could give us a clue as to who the 'people on the left' were so we could check what they actually said.

There certainly doesn't seem to be much of a culture of going into personal care work among young British born people. I have barely met a British born carer in 20 years.

All of my carers are British, local folk with some very funny stories...most of my nurses are British too. ;-)
  • BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stop foreigners coming here and taking those poorly paid jobs.

The result would be employers would be forced to pay real wages (something the left keep harping on about wanting) and our "lazy kids" would then take them.

The left want this and that, they just don't know how it all works. (i always include the Conservative Party when i say left btw)!!!
    Forum Member
    I've often seen/heard this said. But I've never seen any real, proper evidence to back it up.

My son was prepared to do any work at all when studying, he said the wage being offered in some cases was ridiculous. £2.15 ph on one occasion. It was me that told him to pass that job up, its an insult to say the least.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all countries and cultures there are hardworking people and there are some that don't want to work hard. I don't think nationality has anything to do with it.

I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of British people want to work and get a fair wage for their efforts. There aren't many who would actually prefer to be on benefits given the way you are treated these days.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »

The result would be employers would be forced to pay real wages (something the left keep harping on about wanting) and our "lazy kids" would then take them.

The left want this and that, they just don't know how it all works. (i always include the Conservative Party when i say left btw)!!!

No employers would not be forced to pay real wages, because the unemployed would be forced to take these jobs as you cannot turn a job down if on benefits. And stopping foreigners coming here taking the jobs as people put it would also not force wages up. As very few jobs have to be done on uk soil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    All of my carers are British, local folk with some very funny stories...most of my nurses are British too. ;-)
    Must depend where you live. Even David Cameron (who of course used carers when his son was alive) recognised that any kind of 'British jobs for British workers' policy would have to have an exception for care workers.

You don't have to stop foreigners coming here to get employers to pay real wages. Just oblige them to pay real wages. There is no reason why any employer would go on a trawl overseas if they could fill their posts with Brits, and it is surely to the advantage of almost all of us to pay people enough to lift them off benefits.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    No employers would not be forced to pay real wages, because the unemployed would be forced to take these jobs as you cannot turn a job down if on benefits. And stopping foreigners coming here taking the jobs as people put it would also not force wages up. As very few jobs have to be done on uk soil.

My son wasn't on any benefits, regardless, £2.15 ph is not a fair wage, if that is all an employer can pay I would suggest they are not in a fit position to trade, let alone employ someone.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well immigrants despite how some are portrayed do tend to be hard working,if you have upped and left everything you know to move for a better life then you are probably going to be motivated to work hard and progress.
    Time out of work can make you lazy as well,if someone loses their job and is out of work for a couple of months the work ethic is still there,a year on without work and they have a totally different routine which they are comfortable with.

A lot has changed since Thatcher and the Lefties made those statements,for many the benefits system was seen as a bit of a top up,in the construction industry especially,a lot of people on full time work also signed on which obviously distorted figures.
    Since then successive Tory and Labour Governments have let the Benefit system get out of hand(though it goes hand in hand with rising costs)
    I'd say I'm a Leftie but I can never agree with the idea that some people who don't work will have a higher income than someone who works a 40 hr week.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    My son wasn't on any benefits, regardless, £2.15 ph is not a fair wage, if that is all an employer can pay I would suggest they are not in a fit position to trade, let alone employ someone.

I don't know what job or what company your son was with but in general....

How do you suppose businesses started out? Just suddenly being able to pay a load of employees £6+ an hour? All small businesses generally start out paying low wages until they make more money. Forcing employers to pay wages they cannot afford to, will put more people out of work. That's not to say employees should be exploited though.

There is no excuse for huge companies with good turnover to be paying their employees minimum wage.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always hire polish when it comes to DIY. They do the job well, don't call me Mate, and don't require a constant supply of tea.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Maybe not down south but when my Mum was dying just over four years ago, her carers were all white British
  • Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Maybe not down south but when my Mum was dying just over four years ago, her carers were all white British

Same up here. All the carers in the homes here are British . Perhaps there aren't many british people where wonkeydonkey lives ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same up here. All the carers in the homes here are British . Perhaps there aren't many british people where wonkeydonkey lives ?

It's pretty mixed. I think I read somewhere that 40% of our nurses were born abroad, and I reckon its higher for HCA's (speaking nationally). As long as they speak good, clear English it seems to work well, but I have seen some agency staff who must have been recruited on the cheap.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the OP done a runner?
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of good points made here about hard working migrants. Based on my personal experiences working along side them either as a co-worker, a manager and as an employer myself then I share the opinion that on the whole those who up sticks to move to a foreign country for work are well motivated. I would temper that though with an observation that our welfare system is a huge deal sweetener. Knowing that your kids back home are entitled to British family allowance because mum or dad is working in the UK is a massive bonus.

Still, when a migrant worker can earn more doing basic unskilled factory work on minimum wage than they can earn as a fully qualified electrician/plumber/accountant/nurse in their home country then you have to question just how well the EU is working as a unified economic block.

The other issue I have is the race to the bottom of the wages scale. I always thought that introducing a national minimum wage was meant to lift working people out of exploitation and poverty. Instead it seems to have had the opposite effect. The reliance on Working Tax Credit to top up wages is joke.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

McDonald's or Burger King ring any bells?
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    My son was prepared to do any work at all when studying, he said the wage being offered in some cases was ridiculous. £2.15 ph on one occasion. It was me that told him to pass that job up, its an insult to say the least.

This is the problem. Menial jobs on shit wages aren't conducive to the long term aspirations of the British given the cost of everything, whereby our guests from Eastern Europe are more willing to slum it here whilst washing cars and send the cash back to their home country where it amounts to a small fortune. There is a massive economic imbalance across Europe where some nations hold no reciprocal value for countries like the UK.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member

If British born people were willing to do the job I offer, I wouldn't have to look to Poland to get staff.

But on the whole, I don't think you can generalise. I have British and Polish staff who are hardworking, will work any hours they get the opportunity to and do a damn good job. I've also had British and Polish people walk in, attempt the job for a day and never come back.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    If British born people were willing to do the job I offer, I wouldn't have to look to Poland to get staff..

The thing is, how much are you paying? I wouldn't work for minimum wage in this country, you wouldn't be able to do anything with it. The Polish aren't harder working, they are just more willing to live for less I think.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The thing is, how much are you paying? I wouldn't work for minimum wage in this country, you wouldn't be able to do anything with it. The Polish aren't harder working, they are just more willing to live for less I think.

I went up to £7.50 an hour in April as a starting point because of a new long term contract. I know its not much more than minimum wage but at the minute (I hope to have another new contract by October so will review the pay if I get that) it's what I can afford to keep everybody that wants it in a minimum of 39 hours

And I agree the Polish aren't necessarily more hardworking, as I say I've had Brits and Poles who are fantastic as well as Brits and Poles who aren't very good/don't come back.

I do however have more difficulty in getting people from the local area to apply than people who live in Poland. I advertised for new staff in February time, I had one Brit apply and when she came for her interview, already made her mind up it wasn't for her and never came back without setting foot in the kitchen.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Poles claim they always work hard and never claim benefits. That's bull.

Then why is it that the Poles, Russians & Romanians in my area never seem to work? All I see my neighbours do is go out and come back with a black bag full of alcohol.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Do you normally ask where they're born then?