Options

David Bowie all round good egg or not ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else rate Laughing Gnome? I think it's an engagingly silly little tune in its own right, and I love the contrast between some of Bowie's really grandiose stuff and LG!
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good egg. My mum rented a house to him in the mid-to-late 90s (where he recorded '.....Hours') and said he was very down to earth and charming. He'd had his suits, etc shipped over and put in the house a month or so prior to his arrival, only to arrive and discover that they'd started to mildew. He phoned my mother out of the blue and a twenty minute conversation about closet heaters ensued. Surreal conversation.......
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Good egg. My mum rented a house to him in the mid-to-late 90s (where he recorded '.....Hours') and said he was very down to earth and charming. He'd had his suits, etc shipped over and put in the house a month or so prior to his arrival, only to arrive and discover that they'd started to mildew. He phoned my mother out of the blue and a twenty minute conversation about closet heaters ensued. Surreal conversation.......

That is such a lovely anecdote. :D
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    I like David Bowie, and always have done ever since I heard Space Oddity as a young child. I always loved his hair, his make up, his style in the 70's. Then when he re-invented himself in the 80's, he got better, he matured like a fine wine.

DB would always be one of my fantasy dinner guests and The Man Who Fell to Earth will always be one of my top films. In fact, he's never put a foot wrong apart from Absolute Beginners which was absolute shyte.

True... if we ignore almost all of his recorded output since ca 1984 and his, er, 'acting career'.
    Funny he's so worshipped here when he left the country at the first opportunity and has barely set foot in it since.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Good egg. My mum rented a house to him in the mid-to-late 90s (where he recorded '.....Hours') and said he was very down to earth

Well, he was the Man Who Fell To Earth.