Options

Celebrities it's okay to hate

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it okay to hate certain celebrities for no obvious reason. I'll come to my examples in a minute but if someone behaves like Katie Hopkins then fine, hate them. People who do terrible things like Jimmy Saville fine. But why are these people hated:

1)Piers Morgan - yes I now Piers 'the man they love to hate' Morgan. But consider that's part of Piers' persona, so if you go along with it you're helping to contribute to his success. He may have been a tabloid editor and a bit of an arse, but is he that bad? Remember he stood up to Blair over Bush (rest of the media?) and he's a member of the establishment who doesn't like the Tories, which is always good by me.

2) Ben Elton - whether or not you like the work he has done over recent years, why is he hated? Has he committed any crime? Yet if anyone wants a cheap gag then bash Ben Elton.

3) Louis Walsh - Everyone likes having a pop at Louis. Is he really so bad?

4) Phil Collins - Often it's the music which is okay. If you don't like his music so be it. But it also seems personal. Has he done much to deserve it?

Comments

• Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike the word "hate" but:

- Kerry Katona
    - The TOWIE crew, especially Joey Essex, Lauren Goodger and Gemma Collins
    - Tina Malone
    - Denise Welch
    - Denise van Outen
    - Carole Vorderman
    - Jeremy Clarkson
    - Peter Andrea
    - Phillip Schofield

People like this bring all the dislike they get upon themselves, not least because most of them are talentless morons who have nothing to offer apart from their ego.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen on Hitler
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Lucas probably get's more abuse and vitriol than any other filmmaker in history.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it okay to hate certain celebrities for no obvious reason. I'll come to my examples in a minute but if someone behaves like Katie Hopkins then fine, hate them. People who do terrible things like Jimmy Saville fine. But why are these people hated:

1)Piers Morgan - yes I now Piers 'the man they love to hate' Morgan. But consider that's part of Piers' persona, so if you go along with it you're helping to contribute to his success. He may have been a tabloid editor and a bit of an arse, but is he that bad? Remember he stood up to Blair over Bush (rest of the media?) and he's a member of the establishment who doesn't like the Tories, which is always good by me.

2) Ben Elton - whether or not you like the work he has done over recent years, why is he hated? Has he committed any crime? Yet if anyone wants a cheap gag then bash Ben Elton.

3) Louis Walsh - Everyone likes having a pop at Louis. Is he really so bad?

4) Phil Collins - Often it's the music which is okay. If you don't like his music so be it. But it also seems personal. Has he done much to deserve it?

I don't mind any of them. Would call myself a fan either but I don't understand the hate they get - especially Piers.
    I dislike the word "hate" but:

- Kerry Katona
    - The TOWIE crew, especially Joey Essex, Lauren Goodger and Gemma Collins
    - Tina Malone
    - Denise Welch
    - Denise van Outen
    - Carole Vorderman
    - Jeremy Clarkson
    - Peter Andrea
    - Phillip Schofield

People like this bring all the dislike they get upon themselves, not least because most of them are talentless morons who have nothing to offer apart from their ego.

Don't like most of these but I do like Carol and don't mind Kerry or Peter.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pier Morgans its because of when he was editor of the Daily Mirror, and the lies he published about the British troops. It was only Simon Cowell who saved his ass by giving him work in the US.

I won't say I hate anyone, I need to know them in person to do that.

Katie Hopkins is a cupid stunt who is paid to say the things she does. Otherwise she is just a boring no body. I do hope sometimes she gets hit by a bus crossing the road. Mercy killing.:D
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kardashians. Neither use nor ornament.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disapprove of the 'h' word in the title.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate anyone - although I do think that anyone who thinks that living their life in the sidebar of shame(/glossy mags/RTV) is a valid career choice can't complain at a bit of general mocking.
  • Options
    Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Other people than those mentioned:

Helen Wood (worst winner of BBUK history utter vile excuse of a woman)
    Danniella Westbrook (complete mess and despicable woman)
    Carl Froch (more of a celeb than a boxer now, although he did KO George Groves in front of 80,000 people at Wembley, utter dick!!)
    Kardashian/Jenner family (famous for doing absouletly nothing)
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    I don't hate any of them, I do despise and dislike most of them, and I hate the amount of attention that they get from the media.. Which is why I haven't bought a daily newspaper for years.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word "hate" is so over used. I dislike:

Katie Hopkins
    Jeremy Clarkson

That's about it, unless I can think of anyone else.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great idea for a thread OP,
    Lenny Henry seems to be disliked, I thought his acting was good in The Syndicate and yes, I have seen him to stand up and he was funny.

Helen Flanagan, yes she's ditzy but she hasn't a malicious bone in her body. She's harmless in my opinion but seems to be as unpopular as Kym Marsh.

Edited as I missed out Vanessa Feltz, she's a very competent broadcaster and very well educated. She had a blip on CBB but her husband had dumped her, probably had a mid life crisis, so what if she fibbed about her dress size, they all do that!
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with Helen Wood and Katie Hopkins.

Does Josie Cunningham count?
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great idea for a thread OP,
    Lenny Henry seems to be disliked, I thought his acting was good in The Syndicate and yes, I have seen him to stand up and he was funny.

Helen Flanagan, yes she's ditzy but she hasn't a malicious bone in her body. She's harmless in my opinion but seems to be as unpopular as Kym Marsh.

Edited as I missed out Vanessa Feltz, she's a very competent broadcaster and very well educated. She had a blip on CBB but her husband had dumped her, probably had a mid life crisis, so what if she fibbed about her dress size, they all do that!

IMVHO, Lenny is nowhere near as funny as he likes to think.

Flanagan is just so interminably dim and can't seem to do anything for herself - hopefully a baby will be the making of her.

Feltz - I like her; incredibly clever and always erudite. She does need to stop claiming to be a size 12 though:D

My list - Kerry Katona: Just a disaster.
    Peter Andre: Fame hungry and sly
    Beyonce: If the woman could eat herself she would - a ridiculous egotist.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I don't hate anyone - although I do think that anyone who thinks that living their life in the sidebar of shame(/glossy mags/RTV) is a valid career choice can't complain at a bit of general mocking.

Ditto this. None of them are worthy of hate but those whose career revolves around flogging every fart and having their personal pap on speed dial every time they go to Starbucks are deserving of every bit of mockery that they get
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with hating people? It's a perfectly natural human emotion. There's nothing at all wrong with it. It's healthy. Beats being a boring, passionless, drab sod who doesn't stand for anything or have any kind of personal ideology. Besides which, I doubt any of us are going and smearing Clarkson's door with faeces or lobbing bricks through Piers Morgan's windows.

The entire point of showbiz is to have a reaction to it.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    What's wrong with hating people? It's a perfectly natural human emotion. There's nothing at all wrong with it. It's healthy. Beats being a boring, passionless, drab sod who doesn't stand for anything or have any kind of personal ideology. Besides which, I doubt any of us are going and smearing Clarkson's door with faeces or lobbing bricks through Piers Morgan's windows.

The entire point of showbiz is to have a reaction to it.

Hate is so strong. That's why in my previous post I deliberately didn't use that word. I think that is the problem we have as a society. We love/hate people we don't really know. The lines are so blurred now.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm

I think my thread has been a little misunderstood. I was thinking primarily of the 4 people I named at the top. I wasn't seeking a list of all the celebs people hate, I maybe should have titled it better. I'm not really interested in Katie Hopkins as it's perfectly obvious why people hate her. Jeremy Clarkson is obviously marmite. I'm more interested in those who get a lot of vitriol (and sometimes cheap laughs) when it isn't obvious why.

As for the word hate, I'm using it in a showbizzy/bitch about famous people way. I don't mean to say that people truly believe they are satan.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm

I think my thread has been a little misunderstood. I was thinking primarily of the 4 people I named at the top. I wasn't seeking a list of all the celebs people hate, I maybe should have titled it better. I'm not really interested in Katie Hopkins as it's perfectly obvious why people hate her. Jeremy Clarkson is obviously marmite. I'm more interested in those who get a lot of vitriol (and sometimes cheap laughs) when it isn't obvious why.

As for the word hate, I'm using it in a showbizzy/bitch about famous people way. I don't mean to say that people truly believe they are satan.

Tbh, the only one of your four who seems to generate levels of 'hate' is Piers Morgan. The others I don't see as being especially loathed.
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the reason why Ben Elton is disliked so much is that he's seen as a hypocrite who built his public image around being an "alternative", left-wing, provocative comedian then turned his back on it and "sold out." Not to mention that just about anyone who goes from Blackadder to Live From Planet Earth and The Wright Way creatively is gonna be an object of mockery
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bono...
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of the Chelsea/Essex lot.

Though I wouldn't necessary call them celebrities, just annoying has-beens.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the beef with Phil Collins. Can't say I care much for many of his tunes since Steve Hackett left Genesis, ( I would like all 5 to get together again.)

He seems okay as rich music stars go. Its his bandmate Tony Banks who seems more pompous. Then again he isn't as famous.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I like Phil Collins and think he's a decent singer and has made some good songs, solo and as part of Genesis.

Ben Elton had a hand in writing The Young Ones, which I love and I liked him on telly in the eighties (Friday Night Live was it? Can't remember, he wore a sparkly suit)

Piers Morgan comes across as rather smarmy in interviews and seems a bit of a prat and I am really REALLY intrigued to find out why he hates Madonna so much, she apparently threw a bread roll at him but why? If anyone can shed any light on this it would be most appreciated!

I don't really know about Louis Walsh as I have never watched the X factor!

But I don't hate or dislike anyone really.