Options

Pat, Pauline, Peggy and Dot, who is the biggest EE legend?

Comments

• Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler
    Pauline for sure. She was EastEnders. Closely followed by Pat, then Peggy, then Dot.

As fond as I am of Dot (I even prefer her to Peggy in terms of pure characterization), she's ultimately just a nice old lady to me. She's been more of a supporting character since Ethel died.
    In her day it would have been Pauline Fowler all day long, the reason she is so low in the vote is because she left 10 years ago and her last three years weren't covered in glory, in fact she is one character that I would admit the Producers ruined. Many on here probably weren't even watching when she was on.

Dot is equally iconic now though

She was perfectly fine until she married Joe. She did become more miserable in her later years but that doesn't mean she was ruined purely because of that.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peggy Mitchell
    lou_123 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the whole show changed when Peggy left in 2010. It lost a spark and has never got it back since. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe because she was the centre of the show for so many years, I don't really know. Don't get me wrong, I don't think EastEnders is the same without Pat, and I believe her departure has a big impact on the show, but not as much as Peggy's.
    I'd have to say Peggy. She left the biggest hole after leaving in 2010, for me personally. I don't feel the show has ever recovered completely since.

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the show lost something when Peggy left. It hasn't been the same for me since.

Very tough poll though, four of the show's finest. I could make an arguent for all of them to be considered the biggest legend.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat Butcher/Evans
    Pat then Dot for me.
  • Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler
    bass55 wrote: »
    Pauline Fowler was EastEnders.

Pat is a close second.

Agree. For the first 20 years she embodied the trials and tribulations of life on EE. I think she'd have more votes if she was still around.

All 4 are true EE legends though.
  • Options
    Kate Ford fanKate Ford fan Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler
    Nebworth90 wrote: »
    Agree. For the first 20 years she embodied the trials and tribulations of life on EE. I think she'd have more votes if she was still around.

All 4 are true EE legends though.

Out of that list Pauline was the only one that seemed like a real person rather than an exaggerated caricature.

It is easy to create another Pat and Peggy in an established character. They will just never be another Pauline.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dot Branning
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

I think that Barbara Windsor is a 'National. Treasure' but I don't think Peggy is that great.

Spot on. Babs Windsor reached the status she has due to her Carry On roles. She represented a period in time in national story. 1960's. Her links to Krays of course played into that. Her taking on role of Peggy Mitchell prolonged her time in industry but it isn't what defines her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dot Branning
    I have a feeling that they will be. Bonnie has expressed how much she loves the show and Annette will probably want to do a few more years at least.

I agree about Bonnie. Not so sure about Annette as the role is wafer thin.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler
    Had to go for Pauline, she embodied what the show was about in the early days.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pat Butcher/Evans
    Out of that list Pauline was the only one that seemed like a real person rather than an exaggerated caricature.

It is easy to create another Pat and Peggy in an established character. They will just never be another Pauline.

Pat was never a caricature.
  • Options
    kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dot Branning
    without a doubt - Dot Branning
  • Options
    Kate Ford fanKate Ford fan Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler
    Pat was never a caricature.

The tart with a heart who spouts words of wisdom has been done to death in the soap genre long before EastEnders was even created.

Pauline and Angie were always my favourite EastEnders females.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pauline Fowler
    Dot is undoubtedly a great character, but I'm surprised she's leading this poll. Dot has never really been a leading character in the way Pauline, Pat and Peggy were; and although her image is definitely iconic - the hair, the ****, the gravelly voice, the Bible quotes - I wouldn't say she's been involved in any iconic moments in the show. Maybe Ethel's death at a push. Whereas I can think of several stand-out moments for the other three.

I'm not downplaying Dot/June Brown's status as a soap legend at all - I think she's fab - I just think the other three (Pauline and Pat especially) are bigger 'legends'.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler
    bass55 wrote: »
    Dot is undoubtedly a great character, but I'm surprised she's leading this poll. Dot has never really been a leading character in the way Pauline, Pat and Peggy were; and although her image is definitely iconic - the hair, the ****, the gravelly voice, the Bible quotes - I wouldn't say she's been involved in any iconic moments in the show. Maybe Ethel's death at a push. Whereas I can think of several stand-out moments for the other three.

I'm not downplaying Dot/June Brown's status as a soap legend at all - I think she's fab - I just think the other three (Pauline and Pat especially) are bigger 'legends'.

Exactly what I was trying to say but expressed so much better. You've hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would replace Peggy with Angie.

As for the most iconic of Angie, Pauline, Dot or Pat it's very hard to say.

Although Dot does have the advantage having starred in both Eastenders and Line of Duty. :D
  • Options
    davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    None of them they are just characters in a fictional programme played by actors doing their job nothing more nothing less. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dot Branning
    I would replace Peggy with Angie.

As for the most iconic of Angie, Pauline, Dot or Pat it's very hard to say.

Although Dot does have the advantage having starred in both Eastenders and Line of Duty. :D

If you use the term iconic in line with dictionary definition it is Angie that fits in relation to EE. Babs Windsor the actress fits but not the character Peggy Mitchell.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    If you use the term iconic in line with dictionary definition it is Angie that fits in relation to EE. Babs Windsor the actress fits but not the character Peggy Mitchell.

I would not say Barbara was iconic as an actress either but that's just my opinion. :)
  • Options
    PetrixlePetrixle Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Pat Butcher/Evans
    It would be between Dot and Pat. But for me Pat was the more interesting and layered character and the one who's stories and performances stand out for me the most.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pat Butcher/Evans
    Petrixle wrote: »
    It would be between Dot and Pat. But for me Pat was the more interesting and layered character and the one who's stories and performances stand out for me the most.

Totally agree about Pat.
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petrixle wrote: »
    Totally agree about Pat.

Yes i think Pat was definitely a lot more layered than Dot and Peggy, Pauline seemed to have a huge personality change towards the end. I know she was turning into Lou Beale which was interesting and a good thing. But the faking the brain tumor plot was wrong, and did wreck her character a great deal.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Dot Branning
    Even though I didn't like the person she became and wish the writers hadn't done it, I did understand how Pauline could end up like that. It is the danger of living completely in the past, not moving on from her dead parents, dead husband and not accepting when other people did so taking desperate measures to keep them around her. It worked for Lou, going on and on about Albert decades after his death. Having at least some of her children close by and either wanting (or being scared not to) to do anything and everything they could to keep her happy. So why couldn't it be like that for her?

I'm pretty sure that they played Dusty Springfield "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" at her funeral which i found very accurate and moving. It's just wanting peoe to stay close and even has the line "it wasn't me who changed but you" and i think that was how Pauline would have felt. She didn't change, she wanted at the end what she'd always wanted - her family close by and loving and respecting her but they all changed and wanted to leave her.
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Even though I didn't like the person she became and wish the writers hadn't done it, I did understand how Pauline could end up like that. It is the danger of living completely in the past, not moving on from her dead parents, dead husband and not accepting when other people did so taking desperate measures to keep them around her. It worked for Lou, going on and on about Albert decades after his death. Having at least some of her children close by and either wanting (or being scared not to) to do anything and everything they could to keep her happy. So why couldn't it be like that for her?

I'm pretty sure that they played Dusty Springfield "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" at her funeral which i found very accurate and moving. It's just wanting peoe to stay close and even has the line "it wasn't me who changed but you" and i think that was how Pauline would have felt. She didn't change, she wanted at the end what she'd always wanted - her family close by and loving and respecting her but they all changed and wanted to leave her.

I think if we think about the Pauline we were introduced to in 1985, and the Pauline we saw in 2006 they are both very different but also feel familiar, if we look back over Pauline history in the show, it is rather tragic, and we can sort of understand why she ended up the way she did,. Pauline is by far a better tragic character than Ronnie Mitchell, and i think its really the transformation or evolution of a changing world which left Pauline behind , which is upsetting.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Dot Branning
    Zeus89 wrote: »
    I think if we think about the Pauline we were introduced to in 1985, and the Pauline we saw in 2006 they are both very different but also feel familiar, if we look back over Pauline history in the show, it is rather tragic, and we can sort of understand why she ended up the way she did,. Pauline is by far a better tragic character than Ronnie Mitchell, and i think its really the transformation or evolution of a changing world which left Pauline behind , which is upsetting.

Yes, completely agree.

Pauline was just battered down by life, and as you say a changing World and Society, and unlike Ronnie, nearly all of it was believable in that you could believe it could happen to one normal person over the course of 21 years and indeed do for most people in terms of losing a parent and spouse and having children move away to concentrate on their own life.

Pete being killed due to being involved with a gangsters moll and Arthur framed are the only 'soap' things really. Everything else, you wouldn't find odd if it happened to a neighbour unlike Ronnie.

Pauline just got tired and bitter and was either unable or unwilling to move with the times. And a lot of people are like that and they do end up lonely, with at best, their children visiting or looking after them out of a sense of duty.
  • Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dot Branning
    They're all so iconic for different reasons but ultimately I voted Dot Branning because she's always been my favourite character and it's so true - everyone knows 'Dot Cotton'.

All four characters are synonymous with Eastenders and each character are associated with some of the biggest storylines ever to grace British drama. Three of them are infamous the characters are rediculous easy to caricature and have crossed the divide to become firmly cemented in British culture: who doesn't know about Dot's hairstyle, facial expressions, catchphrases, smoking and coat? Who doesn't know about 'GET OUTTA MA PUB!', who doesn't know about Pat's earrings, and who isn't familiar with the 'bitch/cow' scene?

Pauline, is a legend, but she was never iconic, and that's the difference I suppose.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    None of those. It's clearly Dirty Den, in my view.