Who is your favourite Batman?

13»

Comments

• Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also feel a bit sad that Keaton's career dwindled so much after the Batman roles. He seems like a really nice, humble guy as well. It's a real shame he probably got typecast after Batman when he was obviously a good enough actor to shake off that role eventually if he'd had a steady stream of good parts.
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    I do love Christian Bale but the awful voice he chose to use for the Batman portion of the role does ruin it for me somewhat. I can appreciate Batman needing to sound different to Bruce being a good idea, but Nolan and Bale desperately needed to bring it down several notches. It just doesn't work and ruins an otherwise really realistic interpretation of the Batverse.

The voice wasn't his fault. It's been reported many times before that it was done in post-production. And even so, the voice shouldn't overshadow what is a perfectly more than solid performance. His voice is more toned down in Begins but so many people judge his voice in The Dark Knight because not many of them have seen the previous film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I think I'm going to be very unpopular here, but I really didn't like Michael Keaton's portrayal of Batman at all. He was certainly given the better scripts out of the four Burton/Schumacher films, but I think he was completely miscast. Nothing against him personally - I thought he was fantastic in Beetlejuice and other films.

Adam West was good for the camp, cartoon-like version.

Kilmer was interesting, but let down by weak writing. I think he would have been excellent in the previous two films (Batman and Batman Returns).

Clooney was a complete write-off! Even if the film was significantly improved in terms of writing an direction, Clooney would still be a dreadful Batman.

My favourite has to be Christian Bale. His darker, more complex version of the character is so compelling and I am disappointed that the next film will be his last. Again, contrary to popular opinion, I really like the voice-effect used when he plays Batman. It makes the character much more terrifying which is exactly what is needed. They did the same thing with Oliver Queen/Green Arrow in Smallville and it worked brilliantly.

Finally, I must give acknowledgement to Kevin Conroy whose voice is simply perfect for both Batman and Wayne in the cartoons and computer games. I don't know what he would be like in person playing the character in a film, but his voice is spot on!
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I think I'm going to be very unpopular here, but I really didn't like Michael Keaton's portrayal of Batman at all. He was certainly given the better scripts out of the four Burton/Schumacher films, but I think he was completely miscast. Nothing against him personally - I thought he was fantastic in Beetlejuice and other films.

Adam West was good for the camp, cartoon-like version.

Kilmer was interesting, but let down by weak writing. I think he would have been excellent in the previous two films (Batman and Batman Returns).

Clooney was a complete write-off! Even if the film was significantly improved in terms of writing an direction, Clooney would still be a dreadful Batman.

My favourite has to be Christian Bale. His darker, more complex version of the character is so compelling and I am disappointed that the next film will be his last. Again, contrary to popular opinion, I really like the voice-effect used when he plays Batman. It makes the character much more terrifying which is exactly what is needed. They did the same thing with Oliver Queen/Green Arrow in Smallville and it worked brilliantly.

Finally, I must give acknowledgement to Kevin Conroy whose voice is simply perfect for both Batman and Wayne in the cartoons and computer games. I don't know what he would be like in person playing the character in a film, but his voice is spot on!

If you saw him you would go "oh THATS why you do voiceover work"
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree about Bale and am really disappointed as well that the next film is his last.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching Batman on ITV2 and wondered who the best Batman was.....

Adam West
    Michael Keaton
    Val Kilmer
    George Clooney
    Christian Bale

Let BAT-tle commence (sorry!).................?

Adam West IS Batman! He regulary over the years still appeared in the suit and the movie industry should be ashamed of themselves for not considering the guy for the movie back in 1989.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joseph-Gordon Levitt
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Adam West IS Batman! He regulary over the years still appeared in the suit and the movie industry should be ashamed of themselves for not considering the guy for the movie back in 1989.

However much I like the Adam West Batman, I somehow don't think he was sutied for the movie at all. Both because of his age (he was in his 60s by then), and the fact it's a completely different character.
  • iansmithwolvesiansmithwolves Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I'd go for Ian Botham, he was a good bowler as well :D
  • HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Michael Keaton
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam West :D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Does it matter? I don't think any actor's got it completely right so far. The role has yet to find its Christopher Reeve, whose dazzling turn reminded us that the best thing about any superhero film should be the superhero.

Keaton tried hard, but didn't quite convince in the stiff suit. With his beady eyes and chubby cheeks, he resembled a hamster in a wetsuit. Watching Beetlejuice, you realise he would've made a fabulous Joker, one certainly better than Jack Nicholson's lazy, predictable effort.

I suppose the big question is who's next to don the cape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter? I don't think any actor's got it completely right so far. The role has yet to find its Christopher Reeve, whose dazzling turn reminded us that the best thing about any superhero film should be the superhero.

Keaton tried hard, but didn't quite convince in the stiff suit. With his beady eyes and chubby cheeks, he resembled a hamster in a wetsuit. Watching Beetlejuice, you realise he would've made a fabulous Joker, one certainly better than Jack Nicholson's lazy, predictable effort.

I suppose the big question is who's next to don the cape.

No it doesn't matter, however this thread is called "Who is your favourite Batman?" not "Who is the best Batman?" in many peoples eyes both Keaton and Bale got it perfect.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    No it doesn't matter, however this thread is called "Who is your favourite Batman?" not "Who is the best Batman?" in many peoples eyes both Keaton and Bale got it perfect.
    Fair enough.

Don't particularly have a favourite as no actor has truly impressed me in the role yet. Not like Reeve did as Supes.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Keaton
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Lowery (Google him).:)
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam West for me can't beat the original.

Have'nt much liked the darker batman over the years.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Michael Keaton was the best Batman.

Christian Bale is a good choice too for the role right now.
  • Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Del Boy was the best Batman by far.

http://www.waitenet.co.uk/batmandel.gif

Seriously, West, Keaton and Bale were all perfect for the times the films were released IMHO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    It can only be the great Adam West. Isn't he great on Family Guy too?

♪ Adam West

Adam West

And a little bit softer now

Adam West

Adam West

Adam West

Adam

West

I'll come out when they're all gone ♪
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Yeah Keaton was v good for the time, but Bale owns it the role today, they are so much darker which i think batman should be.

LOL Katana1000 that is so true, Del boy was a great batman, not sure on robin though lol.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member