Options

SNP Government "rapped" by Advertising Standards Authority

Comments

• Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Makes them look good if it was seen as a gift.

Look good to who?
  • Options
    BorderReiverBorderReiver Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chinese are perhaps not the best beacons of free expression in the world. They try to control everything and so I wouldn't trust their language either.

Why is it when you scratch the surface of Unionism bigotry is more often than not revealed?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it when you scratch the surface of Unionism bigotry is more often than not revealed?

Are you suggesting all is well with regard to human rights and free speech in China following the agreement to allow two pandas to be sent to Scotland and stay for 10 years for £6m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Are you suggesting all is well with regard to human rights and free speech in China following the agreement to allow two pandas to be sent to Scotland and stay for 10 years for £6m.

Not for a second, I am drawing issue with Wallster being incapable of separating the Chinese Government from the Chinese People and portraying deception as a national characteristic (just as he did, albeit positivly, with the English and fair mindedness upthread).

Perhaps he's a bigot, or perhaps he's just not very bright and should think what he's posting before he posts it? As yet I don't have evidence either way . . . but Unionism is going through an agony of foot in mouth foolishness at the moment, what with dismissal of an entire nation's desire for Self Determination as political posturing by one politician who, in the absence of any actual answer to his policies and points, they attack on personal grounds . . . its' supporters hardly seem the most balanced bunch at this given moment do they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for a second, I am drawing issue with Wallster being incapable of separating the Chinese Government from the Chinese People and portraying deception as a national characteristic (just as he did, albeit positivly, with the English and fair mindedness upthread).

Perhaps he's a bigot, or perhaps he's just not very bright and should think what he's posting before he posts it? As yet I don't have evidence either way . . . but Unionism is going through an agony of foot in mouth foolishness at the moment, what with dismissal of an entire nation's desire for Self Determination as political posturing by one politician who, in the absence of any actual answer to his policies and points, they attack on personal grounds . . . its' supporters hardly seem the most balanced bunch at this given moment do they?

So you made an extrapolation based on very little evdidence that seems to leave you looking rather like the adjective you accused someone else of being.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you made an extrapolation that seems to leave you looking rather like the adjective you accused someone else of being.

Ummm, I fail to see anything even remotely prejudicial to any ethnic, religious, national or other denominative group in that post except Unionists who, as a political body, are pretty much, demonstrably, everything I've stated . . .

What is interesting is that, if you think that is bigoted, you apprently think that Unionists must belong exclusively to one social category, and by extrapolation Independanistas to another . . .

That's a highly telling attitude . . . or perhaps you should learn to read other people's posts and comprehend them before you comment and make yourself look well . . . a bit silly at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ummm, I fail to see anything even remotely prejudicial to any ethnic, religious, national or other denominative group in that post except Unionists who, as a political body, are pretty much, demonstrably, everything I've stated . . .

What is interesting is that, if you think that is bigoted, you apprently think that Unionists must belong exclusively to one social category, and by extrapolation Independanistas to another . . .

That's a highly telling attitude . . . or perhaps you should learn to read other people's posts and comprehend them before you comment and make yourself look well . . . a bit silly at best.

Whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever.

Ahhh, the "I'm beaten intellecutally but have to save face" response of the late 1990s. Retro-tastic.

:D
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Salmond's Scottish Government has been rapped by the advertising watchdog for claiming the Edinburgh Zoo pandas as a "gift" that demonstrates the close relationship between Scotland and China.

The arrival of the bears was in fact part of a "commercial arrangement" between the zoo and the Communist authorities, according to a ruling from the Advertising Standards Authority, which banned future claims that the animals were provided without payment.

In press adverts, Mr Salmond's SNP administration boasted that China's "gifting" of Tian Tian and Yan Guang showed that Scotland had developed an especially close relationship with the world's fastest-growing country.

However after investigating the funding of the pandas, the ASA ruled that ordinary people would deem them to have been acquired as a result of a commercial agreement. In exchange for the pandas – the first to arrive in the UK for 17 years – Edinburgh Zoo's owner, the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, is paying China £640,000 annually for 10 years to fund panda conservation.

The ASA banned Mr Salmond's government from repeating the claim.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/advertising/alex-salmond-bamboozled-the-public-with-panda-advert-7631368.html

Very bad news for the Salmond Government who have been caught out misleading the public.

If they can misrepresent the acquisition of pandas to Edinburgh Zoo, what other things are they spinning? The "benefits" of independence, perhaps.

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh, the "I'm beaten intellecutally but have to save face" response of the late 1990s. Retro-tastic.

:D

As you like them so much here's another one, I can't be arsed.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you made an extrapolation based on very little evdidence...

Isn't that what this:
    If they can misrepresent the acquisition of pandas to Edinburgh Zoo, what other things are they spinning? The "benefits" of independence, perhaps.

is?
  • Options
    Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's not get carried away now. Half the people in Scotland don't even bother to vote! Only one third of Scots voted for the Nats last May (and how many of them did so because the LibDems sold their souls for ministerial cars and Iain Gray was a joke?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not get carried away now. Half the people in Scotland don't even bother to vote! Only one third of Scots voted for the Nats last May (and how many of them did so because the LibDems sold their souls for ministerial cars and Iain Gray was a joke?).

You do realise that even the unionist parties themselves have given up the claims that the SNP never won but they lost?

The SNP ran a successful positive campaign. If the unionists want to delude themselves that the victory came because of the failure of one man and a party already in fourth place behind the Conservatives they only do themselves damage. The people of Scotland deserve better politics than that.
  • Options
    DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The English are essentially fair-minded and wouldn't discriminate.

No discrmination in England?

Really?
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member

I assume that wallster meant to something along the lines of "anything they say" rather than an ambiguous phrase which might be taken as a slur against whichever dialect of chinese was being used.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was referring to the Chinese Government, as you well understood, not the Chinese people who are being suppressed under left-wing control. I know you are keen to "draw issue", but best do so on solid ground.

You don't work for the Scottish Government do you? :D
    You are very good at imagining what you want people to think when it's not the case. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes them look good if it was seen as a gift.
    Phoebidas wrote: »
    Look good to who?

You might have missed this wallster. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might have missed this wallster. :)

So kind of you to draw it to my attention :)

As I was referring to the Chinese Government, the answer would be the Chinese Government. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So kind of you to draw it to my attention :)

As I was referring to the Chinese Government, the answer would be the Chinese Government. ;)

You are welcome :)

The representative of the Chinese government wants to call the pandas a gift as part of spin to look good to the Chinese government?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are welcome :)

The representative of the Chinese government wants to call the pandas a gift as part of spin to look good to the Chinese government?

I don't know, can you think of any other reason.

The BBC website reports:

Edinburgh Zoo will pay $1m (£600,000) to the Chinese authorities each year for the pandas, which are due to stay at the zoo for at least 10 years.

Strange to even consider it a gift under such an agreement.

If I give you a book and call it a gift and expect to receive from you £5 a month for 2 years in return, would you publicise it as a "gift"? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, can you think of any other reason.

The BBC website reports:

Edinburgh Zoo will pay $1m (£600,000) to the Chinese authorities each year for the pandas, which are due to stay at the zoo for at least 10 years.

Strange to even consider it a gift under such an agreement.

If I give you a book and call it a gift and expect to receive from you £5 a month for 2 years in return, would you publicise it as a "gift"? :confused:

If the book was scarce and it was a privilege to have possession of it even for a short period with many people competing to be the one chosen it can be considered a gift to be chosen to hold it. Especially if you then can charge money for others to view it. You make money in the long term.

It depends what is the 'gift' - the item itself or the act of being selected.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can stick their Pandas were the sun doesn't shine.
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member

If I was getting the same to keep myself then yes.

The arrangement is standard for any zoos that keep pandas.

They are on lease from China.
    The financial arrangement is that the host organisation shares 50% of the profits.
    Chinas share goes towards reforestation in china in order to increase the natural habitat and thus preserve the panda population in the wild.

So it makes sense from a purely financial viewpoint for a zoo to have pandas, assuming that it increases the number of bodies through it's doors. Edinburgh Zoo organises viewing times so has records of who came specifically to see the pandas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the book was scarce and it was a privilege to have possession of it even for a short period with many people competing to be the one chosen it can be considered a gift to be chosen to hold it. Especially if you then can charge money for others to view it. You make money in the long term.

It depends what is the 'gift' - the item itself or the act of being selected.

I need to choose something suitable for you. If I make the right choice I can retire early on the income you will provide.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Maybe Salmond should have stuck to saluting the Chinese government's indefatigability although unfortunately not the pandas'. Or have I got my demagogic Scottish politicians mixed up?