SULLA wrote: »
    All involved appear to be at fault

Yep. Agree.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    All involved appear to be at fault
    In what way was the child's mother at fault? Or are you blaming the four-year-old child? The shop worker was utterly and completely at fault here.

Nobody should ever lay their hands on a stranger's child, unless it is to save them from harm.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    In what way was the child's mother at fault? Or are you blaming the four-year-old child? The shop worker was utterly and completely at fault here.

Nobody should ever lay their hands on a stranger's child, unless it is to save them from harm.
    A child off the leash in a supermarket will be at serious risk, whether from being run over by a trolley or crushed under an avalanche of baked bean tins or even accidentally scanned by a checkout operator.
    Children must be kept under control in hazardous environments, especially if the hazard might be other people, or in this instance, the back of their hand.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    A child off the leash in a supermarket will be at serious risk, whether from being run over by a trolley or crushed under an avalanche of baked bean tins or even accidentally scanned by a checkout operator.
    Children must be kept under control in hazardous environments, especially if the hazard might be other people, or in this instance, the back of their hand.

Exactly. A supermarket has a hell of a lot of glass bottles! But... people just don't care. Even if they are slowing customers down by running around and throwing things off the shelves for example.

Well they do care but only if their little "Angel" gets hurt. F**k everyone else.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    :D

long gone are the days when strangers could hug or give a slap on the back or even a kiss to others kids, or even make a sentimental remark, when teachers could put sunscreen on toddlers to protect them from the sun without them being seeing as perverts! when male nursery teachers are not allowed to soothe toddlers and coddle them to sleep if unwell, when a passerby cant help an obviously abused child,do something to stop them from a dangerous situation, next stop, nurses and doctors not allowed to touch kids...robots will have to do the job.....just because ministers in government have these proclivities and have been protected doesnt mean they can make laws branding normal human behaviour as paedophilic, and spreading their poisonous moral panic agendas, and through such disgusting mouthpieces as the bbc and others, still, hopefully its about to backfire on them

Rant over

:confused:
    A good post, Cg_Evans.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth is a 'friendly tap'? As far as I can see, there is no such thing.

If the child was running amok and causing a potential danger to themselves or others , then ok the worker was within her rights to block their path or stop them with a hand on the shoulder or arm but a friendly tap to me sounds like a way of downgrading the fact the worker gave the child a light smack, which is completely unacceptable.

However, the mother going to the papers with a DM sad face is just as unacceptable imo
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Bearing in mind that these days one need only lay a hand on a young person to then risk being charged with assault, I fully realise the child was only 4 years old and the cashier was absolutely stupid to have even touched the 'little dear' - but I am also reminded that a 12 to 15 years old sullen thug or hooligan type can appear in a court and be described as a child.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just back from my local Sainsbury's superstore.

I encountered 2 young girls whizzing up and down the aisles on rollerblades without any consideration, almost running into people in fact, and another young boy with his even younger sibling pushing a trolley into anything and everything, he could barely see over the trolley. All these children has no parent or adult in sight.

I find this sort of behaviour selfish, irresponsible and reckless. As has been said, if something happens to these children, you can guarantee the so-called parents will blame anyone but themselves before you can even utter 'VerminClaims'.

Some people just shouldn't have kids >:(
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The mother is at fault for not being in control of her child in a public area . Why was the child needind to be stopped ? Because his own parent wasnt doing her job properly
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Just back from my local Sainsbury's superstore.
    Which jogs the memory cells a bit...
    Didn't the previous 'staff assaulting kids' thread happen in a Sainsbury's? I think it was an older member of staff who was thoroughly criticised on here for old-fashioned attitudes.

Or have I mis-remembered and actually it was Waitrose and Sainsbury's turn isn't due until next year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    The mother is at fault for not being in control of her child in a public area . Why was the child needind to be stopped ? Because his own parent wasnt doing her job properly
    Do any of the linked news stories state that the child was out of control or needing to be stopped from doing something, or the mother was not in control of her child?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do any of the linked news stories state that the child was out of control or needing to be stopped from doing something, or the mother was not in control of her child?

I am guessing the little lamb was not quietly holding his mums hand and a member of staff ran out from behind the counter and slapped his leg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am guessing the little lamb was not quietly holding his mums hand and a member of staff ran out from behind the counter and slapped his leg
    A guess?

I thought there might be a link to something remotely substantial that I had missed.

So nobody has actually reported that this mother was negligent or the child was running amok in the supermarket?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A guess?

I thought there might be a link to something remotely substantial that I had missed.

So nobody has actually reported that this mother was negligent or the child was running amok in the supermarket?

No . But we can stll have an opiinion based on a high probability . If of course you have evidence that the child was behaving perfectly well and being good and polite , then I will retract my opinion on his mother
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think common sense would suggest that IF the child was with his mother and IF any of her attention was focused on him then no-one would even have gotten close enough to tap him on the legs.

Common sense would further dictate that nowadays a lot of people would hesitate in talking to a child, let alone touching them, without some reason for doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No . But we can stll have an opiinion based on a high probability . If of course you have evidence that the child was behaving perfectly well and being good and polite , then I will retract my opinion on his mother
    I don't have to provide evidence for asking a question.

I simply asked another poster:

"In what way was the child's mother at fault? Or are you blaming the four-year-old child?"

and you stated:

"The mother is at fault for not being in control of her child in a public area . Why was the child needind to be stopped ? Because his own parent wasnt doing her job properly"

It now transpires that your statement was a worthless guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I think common sense would suggest that IF the child was with his mother and IF any of her attention was focused on him then no-one would even have gotten close enough to tap him on the legs.
    Maybe the child was in the child-seat in the shopping trolley? And maybe the employee has some sort of condition that makes them somehow less aware that they should never physically touch a strange child, even if it was intended as a friendly playful gesture? And maybe this was later explained to the mother and she then decided just to let the matter rest?

We could guess scenarios all day long, but it won't get us any nearer the truth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the child was in the child-seat in the shopping trolley? And maybe the employee has some sort of condition that makes them somehow less aware that they should never physically touch a strange child, even if it was intended as a friendly playful gesture? And maybe this was later explained to the mother and she then decided just to let the matter rest?

We could guess scenarios all day long, but it won't get us any nearer the truth

She let the matter rest ? By being on twitter and the daily mail saying it was the worst thing could happen a parent ???
    She insults the parents of sick or disabled or abused kids with that statement . A trip to a paeds ICU might help her focus
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a brat of a kid in a shopping trolley in Asda this afternoon squealing the roof down. I was in there for 40 minutes and she never let up the whole time, got worse when mum got to the checkout. She was about 4 and was crammed into the kiddie seat of the trolley. She shrieked from one end of Asda to the other.

I'm a mother of five and I'd have gladly backhanded that kid just as soon as I'd have backhanded my own kids had they behaved like that at that age or any age. Mine didn't because they knew what they'd get if they did. But god help you if you criticise mothers these days......

>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She let the matter rest ? By being on twitter and the daily mail saying it was the worst thing could happen a parent ???
    She insults the parents of sick or disabled or abused kids with that statement . A trip to a paeds ICU might help her focus
    Yes, this was clearly the first time an angry/upset parent has ever resorted to hyperbole.

String her up!
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member

I spend a lot of my time when shopping at the local supermarket (it's in a place with many holiday caravan parks) laying my hands on a stranger's child. It's always to stop the young child heading straight for my trolley or basket with their head. Luckily, I've never had a parent complain - most apologise for their child and are grateful for my intervention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, this was clearly the first time an angry/upset parent has ever resorted to hyperbole.

String her up!

No . I dont think she is , but stringing her up was never mentioned . Only a criticism of her wording . Having seen many parents living real and tragic nightmares her words were in my opinion totally over the top
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    No . I dont think she is , but stringing her up was never mentioned . Only a criticism of her wording . Having seen many parents living real and tragic nightmares her words were in my opinion totally over the top

^^This
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemonbun wrote: »
    I spend a lot of my time when shopping at the local supermarket (it's in a place with many holiday caravan parks) laying my hands on a stranger's child. It's always to stop the young child heading straight for my trolley or basket with their head. Luckily, I've never had a parent complain - most apologise for their child and are grateful for my intervention.
    I should hope so, since you were clearly saving them from harm..
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the child was in the child-seat in the shopping trolley?

With all the trolley child seats that I've seen it would be darn near impossible to get at the back of a child's legs.