Dennis to no longer be a menace - WTF !!!

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
RED and black striped menace Dennis has apparently seen the error of his ways ... if his new BBC makeover is to be believed.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/mysun/2583916/BBC-menace-to-change-Dennis.html

I really hope this isn't true, it was bad enough when the nannystate cut Tom & Jerry but this really takes the pi**. :mad:

Comments

• rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do kids still read comics these days?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

Only 40 year old "kids" do :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the Beano throughout the 90s and don't remember him getting the slipper :confused:

That being said, the new dennis looks like crap someone knocked up on flash.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RED and black striped menace Dennis has apparently seen the error of his ways ... if his new BBC makeover is to be believed.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/mysun/2583916/BBC-menace-to-change-Dennis.html

I really hope this isn't true, it was bad enough when the nannystate cut Tom & Jerry but this really takes the pi**. :mad:

Why don't they call the character something totally different instead of trying to hi-jack the brand name/character of Dennis (apparently no longer a menace) :confused:
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes you wonder what next, the Poisoned Apple banned from Snowhite in case kids wont eat fruit.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll be making Plug look like Brad Pitt next. Minnie the Minx was deffo a lesbian though....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll be making Plug look like Brad Pitt next. Minnie the Minx was deffo a lesbian though....
    :p:pyour probably right there.
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »

Yes. It was thesun.co.uk

Oh and well done to the OP for getting both WTF and LMAO in thread titles.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Ah another PC story, when my daughter gets old enough, i will be letting her watch the original dennis the mennis, just as she will be taught the ba ba black sheep song ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah another PC story, when my daughter gets old enough, i will be letting her watch the original dennis the mennis, just as she will be taught the ba ba black sheep song ...
    good for you.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or does this sound like sh!t-stirring? I only say this because in the article there were loads of angry rants from random people who I presume are Sun website members, but no word from anyone from the BBC. The story wasn't really explained either.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »
    Is it just me or does this sound like sh!t-stirring? I only say this because in the article there were loads of angry rants from random people who I presume are Sun website members, but no word from anyone from the BBC. The story wasn't really explained either.

Yeah, looks fairly unsubstantiated to me.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its on the BBC? Well, there you are then-it will definately be PC'd................
  • COAXCOAX Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh for crying out loud! if this is true then what the heck is this country coming to!!!??? It's gonna become mandatory to only go outside when absolutely necessary and even then wear a fully protective suit and eye/ear protection and breathing apparatus so as to not be exposed to ANYTHING AT ALL! and the media will become like that episode of south park (mr hankey the christmas poo) where they put on a stage show that is so boring and bland as to not offend anyone who's not christian. I might be exaggerating slightly but it does my head in it really does :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Love the beano, but lets face it, this is a comic. It shouldn't be giving you a coronary!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look, Dennis the Menace is Dennis the Menace. That's it.

If they want to do a cartoon about some other guy who isn't like Dennis the Menace then just create some other cartoon and call it something else.

Next they'll try to recreate the obligatory 'slap up meal' you'd see at the end of some cartoons where the character wins a prize at the end of the strip.
    Now they'll have them getting a tofu and lettuce meal which they dig into at the end because it's supposed to prevent global warming or something.

Or Tom and Jerry will be revamped to show them never getting angry and resolving their differences like mature adults using intellectual mediation techniques.
  • MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people giving a stuff about Dennis the Menace? When will people get it into their thick skulls that kids still sing Baa Baa Black Sheep, so getting your kids to sing it isn't exactly a right-on streak of rebellion?

Why do you want to watch Tom and Jerry? Are you four years old? My 5-year-old watches Tom and Jerry. It's on the Cartoon network. It's crap. And so is Ben 10.

Political correctness gawn maaaad. Political correctness gawn maaaaaad. Save us from the voices in our heads!!!

Nutters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »

Yes, I think it probably is shit stirring if I'm honest.

But that doesn't take anything away from the fact that I still think that they should leave it alone.
    One of the reasons being is that it has that feel of that form of political correctness that has 'clever smug dick' written all over it. As thought to say "Hey everybody, look what we've done. Aren't we so progressive and modern for 'moving on'?" as they give themselves a mighty big pat on the back.
    It's the feeling that they've seen something, decided that it's wrong, and are trying to bring attention to that fact that they believe that they've somehow made it better than it was.

Just create a new character and make a new cartoon.
    Mind you that would take the imagination to be creative in the first place.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah i'm sure a kids programme from years ago that you enjoyed will really excite her :confused:

If my parents had tried to make me watch Bill and Ben i'd have been mortified
  • MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to force my kids to watch Muffin the Mule. And I'm gonna tell 'em the connotations of the word muffin even though they are at Primary School. Coz it's, like, dead rude.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manko wrote: »
    Why are people giving a stuff about Dennis the Menace? When will people get it into their thick skulls that kids still sing Baa Baa Black Sheep, so getting your kids to sing it isn't exactly a right-on streak of rebellion?

Why do you want to watch Tom and Jerry? Are you four years old? My 5-year-old watches Tom and Jerry. It's on the Cartoon network. It's crap. And so is Ben 10.

Political correctness gawn maaaad. Political correctness gawn maaaaaad. Save us from the voices in our heads!!!

Nutters.

The original Tom and Jerry cartoon shorts were never intended to be a children's cartoon. In fact none of those big cartoons of the 1940s and 1950s were. They were just another form of entertainment at first. Cartoons only really became associated as being for kids when TV networks started creating them.
    Especially in the 1960s when Tom and Jerry really did suffer a dip in quality.
  • _Zd_Phoenix__Zd_Phoenix_ Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Yes, because the inherent likeability of a bully who constantly picks on a 'sissy' kid has no conceivable ethical problems in the slightest.

I wonder how many of the people who'd be outraged by this are the ones outraged by any story about youth crime and disobedience. Or rap music - better still, violent TV? I'd be interested ...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because the inherent likeability of a bully who constantly picks on a 'sissy' kid has no conceivable ethical problems in the slightest.

I wonder how many of the people who'd be outraged by this are the ones outraged by any story about youth crime and disobedience. Or rap music - better still, violent TV? I'd be interested ...

Exactly. Removing the Pee Cee element that is so vital an element of these stories, perhaps Dennis just needed bringing into the year 2009 if he were to survive.

I grew up in the 70s/80s and found the Beano concepts of catapults, carties and teachers in mortar boards to be embarrasingly old-fashioned then, so I think it's fair to say that DC thompson aren't exactly masters of moving with the times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They don't have to revamp it.
    They can just leave it as history.
    They can just make something brand new instead, like Colin the Conscientious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the Beano in the 70's/early 80s and loved it.

However i think the removal of the bullying of 'sissy Walter' is necessary if it is to return. Like smoking in the workplace some things just belong to a different age.