Options

What is the best soundtrack to a film....?

Comments

• Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    My favourite 4 are films that are enhanced by the soundtrack, which ultimately is what a good soundtrack should do.

Another vote for Pulp Fiction from me. I'd also have to give a vote for the soundtrack of Jackie Brown too: a soundtrack that features 'Across 110th Street' (Bobby Womack), 'Strawberry Letter 23' (Brothers Johnson) and both 'Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)' and 'La La (Means I Love You)'by the Delfonics is in my opinion ace.

One of my other favourite soundtracks is 'Reality Bites.' It's an overlooked soundtrack (and film in my opinion) but at the time two of the songs featured on the CD release went on to do very well in the charts both in the UK and USA. The soundtrack includes, amongst others, The Knack's 'My Sharona,' Squeeze's 'Tempted' and Lisa Loeb's classic 'Stay (I Missed You).' In addition, the good cover of Peter Frampton's 'Baby I Love Your Way' by Big Mountain was on the CD release. In the film itself though, it is the Peter Frampton classic which is featured and plays a big part in the scene in which it features.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your looking for a movie with a good original soundtrack it has to be 'American Beauty' the music in that film is iconic.
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of good shouts already, and I will add:

Gladiator
    Flash Gordon :D
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dug out my old copy of the Soundtrack to "Peters Friends" the other day - enjoyed that too!

For score, would have to say Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

John Williams is the best film score composer in my opinion
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturday Night Fever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Halloween and Trainspotting....i know it's a bit of a cop out...but i really like the Priscilla soundtrack for pure unadulterated camp fun!
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jaws soundtrack is fantastic. Also Halloween.
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    1492 Conquest Of Paradise, by Vangelis.

'West Across The Ocean Sea" will be the music played when I turn to smoke one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDfyxoHbcQ&feature=related
  • Options
    SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Green Mile and Saving Private Ryan has some amazing orchestral pieces.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really like the Priscilla soundtrack for pure unadulterated camp fun!

Love the film and the soundtrack - CeCe Peniston Finally always reminds me of Priscilla, as does Save The Best To Last.....a great song to end on.
    The Jaws soundtrack is fantastic. Also Halloween.

I like you.
    Believe it or not, Jaws 2 is actually a better soundtrack because John Williams is obviously comfortable with the Jaws theme so he plays around with it more.
    I have full expanded editions of all 4 Jaws soundtracks on my iPod all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halloween and Trainspotting....i know it's a bit of a cop out...but i really like the Priscilla soundtrack for pure unadulterated camp fun!

Agreed
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    28 Weeks Later
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dish... 60s choons very in keeping with the time of the film... including some Aussie choons too. And my fav bit is when they move the Dish to the sound of Classical Gas... I actually clapped in the cinema :o

Surprised that no-one's given a mention to...

Chariots of Fire... love that... come on join in... da-da-da-da-da-daaaaaaa :o:o:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Bridget Jones - THE most fantastic opening in a film (well, a romcom at least!!! :))

After that my two other faves are Beaches and Little Shop Of Horrors
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thelma & Louise, especially for Marianne Faithful's haunting & beautiful version of 'The Ballad of Lucy Jordan'.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Blade Runner
    Aguirre
    Betty Blue
  • Options
    pookiesboopookiesboo Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Into The Wild soundtrack by Eddie Vedder, Goodfellas soundtrack and also the soundtrack to Me, Myself and Irene.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, this is tougher than I first thought

For all round great songs, I think it has to be Grease - I knew every song in that film

As for film scores, as mentioned above, LOTR, Indiana Jones and, of course, the iconic Jaws

Individual song has to be May It Be by Enya at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring - I embarrassed myself (and my now husband) by bursting into tears in the cinema, it was so hauntingly beautiful. I want it played at my funeral
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars
    Indiana Jones
    Godfather

Individual song for me was from Philadelphia with Tom Hanks.

Philadelphia - Neil Young

The end was so sad anyway but when that song started to play, I just really lost it.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say I like the main themes, The Terminator is one of my favourites but as for the twenty other tracks of someone hitting saucepans on the CD, not very often I would listen to that.

Blade Runner keeps me interested and Tron Legacy is my current favourite, especially the remixed version, killer tracks on that.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermann's work on Psycho.
    Badalamenti's Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OH Midnight Cowboy , fantastic music..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31cQokSvRI

Dancing With Wolves. beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdo-njbgNhc&feature=related

and of course Last of the Mohicans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygNuRpwZqRU&feature=related

Gorgeous from The Quiet Man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWLJJpmMrm4
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens
    Blade Runner
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Robocop
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    High Fidelity (Good film but not a patch on the book, excellent and varied score though)

Vanilla Sky (Film was ropey, but good music none the less)
  • Options
    hometown38hometown38 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Jackie Brown & Boogie Nights