Options

What is the best soundtrack to a film....?

Comments

• Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once Upon a Time in America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfczFtTvzbg

Cinema Paradiso
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWFv4dqTU0

As most people know these soundtracks were written by Ennio Morricone.

Oliver by Lional Bart. Every song is a gem!

Fiddler on the Roof. I am not sure who wrote the music and the songs. I just had a Google and there were three listed, Jerry Brock, John Williams and Sheldon Harnick. But still some great songs there whomever was responsible.

Westside Story. The film score was good but check out Leonard Bernstein's The Making of Westside Story DVD with Te Kanawa and Carreras - well worth buying. See clip below : :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWnsm5HVdXU&feature=related
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaws
    Halloween
    Star Wars
    ET
    Grease
    Dirty Dancing
    Harry Potter
    Indiana Jones
  • Options
    man_bear_pigman_bear_pig Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    south park the movie !
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Pulp Fiction and The Godfather
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Mine are:
    Pride and Prejudice 2005
    Water for Elephants
    Walk the Line
    The Notebook
    The Kings Speech
    Dirty Dancing
    Top Gun
    Some of the Grease soundtrack
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Assuming that A Hard Day's Night and Help! don't qualify as strictly soundtracks, I would tend to agree with the previous posters who have said Blade Runner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming that A Hard Day's Night and Help! don't qualify as strictly soundtracks, I would tend to agree with the previous posters who have said Blade Runner.

I'll let you get away with Hard Days Night and Help! lol :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    The Magnificent Seven soundtrack is one of the best IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KAjt7v4t4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The soundtrack to 'The Wicker Man' is the only one that stands out for me. As a standalone album it is exemplary 70s British folk-rock with a dark undertone, while as part of the film it is incredibly effective in subtly creating a sinister atmosphere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that my favourite soundtracks are Tron: Legacy, Kick Ass & Street Fighter: The Animated Movie
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Fincher's film adapatation, music by Trent Reznor. After the wonderful music for The Social Network, he has done it again. Also a very good cover, better actually for me, of The Immigrant Song.
  • Options
    OtherguyOtherguy Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Howard Shore's work on Lord of the Rings was excellent. I'm not sure who composed it, but the music on the Band of Brothers HBO series was excellent too.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Fincher's film adapatation, music by Trent Reznor. After the wonderful music for The Social Network, he has done it again. Also a very good cover, better actually for me, of The Immigrant Song.

I'm waiting to see the film before i listen to the soundtrack. I expect it will be good.
  • Options
    darrenhoskerdarrenhosker Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Home Alone 1&2 for me, beautiful John Williams work.

Others:
    Ghost, the music is the reason i cried at the end.
    Beauty & The Beast
    The Full Monty
  • Options
    SonofaBeastSonofaBeast Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Almost Famous has a great soundtrack. John Carpenter has some done some fantastic scores/themes over the years - Escape from New York and The Fog in paticular. Also love soundtracks to The Lost Boys and Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member

Really looking forward to this. Massive Trent Reznor fan.

My fav soundtracks are Jackie Brown, West Side Story and Once upon a time in America.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocky or Donnie Darko.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    I love the tracks on the Maxtrix and Blade 1.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting to see the film before i listen to the soundtrack. I expect it will be good.

I like listening to scores and then watching a film to see where they use pieces of music I enjoyed from the score.
    Really looking forward to this. Massive Trent Reznor fan.

You can hear six tracks legally for free on various websites, or the whole score is avaliable for download now. I've pre-ordered the CD out at the end of the month from their official website, yum!
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else buy the expanded soundtracks that Intrada release?

http://store.intrada.com/

If you love soundtracks you'll love their stuff. I recently got the double CD of Jerry Goldsmiths score for Gremlins which has never been available in its entirety before.
    They are usually limited editions and a bit pricey but worth it.

I long for the day they release my "holy grail" of score's - a full unedited Psycho II by Jerry Goldsmith.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tron: Legacy, Kick-Ass and Brothers :)
  • Options
    GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Ive always thought that Grease had a perfect soundtrack. Every song fitted perfectly and was super catchy and fun. May not be the coolest choice but as a soundtrack its hard to fault.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a huge Harry Potter fan I have to say that I adore all of the HP soundtracks, in particular the last one for DH Part 2. Alexandre Desplat did a fantastic job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    The Adventures of Robin Hood--Korngold wrote the film score.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Callum24 wrote: »
    As a huge Harry Potter fan I have to say that I adore all of the HP soundtracks, in particular the last one for DH Part 2. Alexandre Desplat did a fantastic job.

I completly agree :)
    I also love the music to The Day After Tomorrow and Narnia the Lion the Witch and the Wardorbe :)