Options

What is the best soundtrack to a film....?

Comments

• Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is your favourite soundtrack album or score?

For me, it has to be The Lost Boys - fitted in with the film perfectly and was played to death upon purchase!

Thats the first one that came to mind when I saw the thread. Brilliant soundtrack.

As for best score, I'd have to say The Shawshank Redemption.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    "Jaws"

Simple and terrifying.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Empire Strikes Back - beautiful romantic swashbuckling score by John Williams

The Three Colours trilogy by Zbigniew Preisner - all three are amazing, haunting...blah blah- just buy them!

Suspiria - by Goblin an assault on the senses...

Bladerunner - Vangelis - us fans had to wait forever for the original s/track to be released - but it was worth it!

A L I E N - by jerry goldsmith, often underlooked gem using bizzare percussion elements.

Jaws 2 - takes the motifs from the original, but adds amazing balletic harp motifs and makes for a richer listen. john williams again...

Once Upon A Time In the West - Ennio Morricone

Dracula & Raiders Of The Lost Ark- both John Williams during his 'imperial' phase (1977-1982).

Sweet Charity - Cy Coleman did the original musical score, but it was the film soundtrack version which brings it to life.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    The Empire Strikes Back - beautiful romantic swashbuckling score by John Williams

The Three Colours trilogy by Zbigniew Preisner - all three are amazing, haunting...blah blah- just buy them!

Suspiria - by Goblin an assault on the senses...

Bladerunner - Vangelis - us fans had to wait forever for the original s/track to be released - but it was worth it!

A L I E N - by jerry goldsmith, often underlooked gem using bizzare percussion elements.

Jaws 2 - takes the motifs from the original, but adds amazing balletic harp motifs and makes for a richer listen. john williams again...

Once Upon A Time In the West - Ennio Morricone

Dracula & Raiders Of The Lost Ark- both John Williams during his 'imperial' phase (1977-1982).

Sweet Charity - Cy Coleman did the original musical score, but it was the film soundtrack version which brings it to life.

Awesome choices, and I'm stunned by your mention of Jaws 2. Stunned in a good way, it's one of my favourites and is ultimately a better score than Jaws overall. The Main Title theme is stunning.

I'm suspecting by your choices you're a bit of a score connoisseur.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not including musicals my favourites are...

Fright Night
    The Girl on The Bridge(This would be my number 1)
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Lost Boys
    Candyman
    Any of the Star Wars films.
    Top Gun
    Interview With The Vampire
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Risky Business
    primarily for the outstanding Tangerine Dream
    also Phil Collins, Talking Heads, Prince.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    Awesome choices, and I'm stunned by your mention of Jaws 2. Stunned in a good way, it's one of my favourites and is ultimately a better score than Jaws overall. The Main Title theme is stunning.

I'm suspecting by your choices you're a bit of a score connoisseur.

I am abit;)
    I got into soundtracks before pop music... Blame Star Wars!:p
    And yep, Jaws 2's incorporation of that harp made it for me.

John Williams is possibly the most prolific composers that I've never listened to all of his output, theres simply too much! I'm one for trying out his lesser known works. Im stuck in the era I grew up with ! Luckily, imo it was his best period of work.

Another gr8 gem would be Tenebre by the members of Goblin! I've still yet to buy the expanded version of ALIEN, another gem - but one thats quite intense to sit thru:)
  • Options
    theshadowtheshadow Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    It’s Blade Runner. You can lock the thread now - Nothing else comes close!

Completely 1000% agree. I'm not crazy about the film but the soundtrack is THE definitive soundtrack.
  • Options
    theshadowtheshadow Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One more to add......bet no-one knows this....
    Point of No Return (The Assassin) - 90's thriller with Bridget Fonda and Gabriel Byrne,
    Score by Hans Zimmer. Its prob my personal favourite soundtrack. Its brilliant.
  • Options
    hythershythers Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    The Wanderers
    The Mission
    Mr Hollands Opus
    The Lost Boys
    Kick Ass
  • Options
    Pat GleesonPat Gleeson Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    theshadow wrote: »
    Completely 1000% agree. I'm not crazy about the film but the soundtrack is THE definitive soundtrack.

Ditto - about the soundtrack - I love the film too ...
  • Options
    Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Anything John Barry wrote!
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from La Boheme the Movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNAeTk-ze0 it would have to be...

American Graffiti, just great music from start to finish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Almost each of the soundtracks that Tarantino uses in his films. He is a genius and knows exactly which song to pick for each scene.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Natural Born Killers.

+1 for this.

An absolutely incredible album.
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once upon a time in the West

Agreed :D

I see they took some of the music from that movie and put it in a recent dr who, im not sure who does the music for dr who but they must also be a fan of Sergio Leone's masterpiece.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the soundtrack to 'Lucas'. Quite eerie, but magical at the same time.....
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I've chosen scores, so the likes of Grease and Sweeney Todd get left out here despite their brilliance...

E.T. : The Extra Terrestrial (John Williams)
    The soundtrack to this film is superb, and is perhaps the best of the epically huge scores that Williams created. The infamous bike/moon image would not be anywhere near as brilliant without the score, and the final fifteen minutes of the film are as brilliant as they are partly because of the soundtrack. This was Williams at his finest.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFuTYz60KI

The Truman Show (Phillip Glass)
    There is heavy use of piano in this, but its so effective, and sits nicely with the idyllic 50's-inspired setting for the film. The music captures the correct emotions at the correct moments and even becomes part of the plot in places. Its a wonderfully elegant soundtrack that fits its movie perfectly. I really would recommend this soundtrack to anyone who hasn't heard it, even if you aren't interested in the film. It's beautiful.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sA_3JHakNQ&feature=related

Donnie Darko (Michael Andrews)
    Overall this is quite a bleak soundtrack, with generally haunting vocal pieces, but its magical at the same time. In a way, its very 'Tim Burton' that it can convey something grim in an enlightening way. Its quite a simple soundtrack, but one I'm sure hasn't received the attention it truly deserves.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNzBWoI8oKo

Pirates of the Caribbean series (Hans Zimmer)
    Hans Zimmer never seems to have an off-day but the soundtracks to these films are superb, and arguably his best from a certain perspective. The music is so diverse and varied throughout each of the films, from Dead Man's Chest with its gothic organ undertones, to On Stranger Tides with its Spanish-style sound. Its hard to decide which of the soundtracks is the best, though the third film, At Worlds End, offers arguably the best selection.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oruT27aJ6Xs

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (John Williams)
    The third film in the eight-part series was the last to be scored by John Williams, and it was a big diversion from the content of the first two movie scores. This was matched by a change in tone for the third film, and as such we get here a large selection of pipe-based tracks which are simple and whimsical. There is far less 'epic' here than before, but when you hear the few epic inclusions on offer, you're in for a real treat.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9kT8PL6ZA

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2) (Alexander Desplat)
    The score to the final film was a brilliantly haunting and dramatic selection, and the only thing that actually felt out of place were the rather tacked on inclusion from the John Williams archive. But the eerie 'Lily's Theme' that played at the very start of the film is perhaps the best on offer from the Harry Potter series.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI_9kZ2qZNE

X-Men 3: The Last Stand (John Powell)
    Opinions of the movie are very mixed (I personally loved this one more than the others) but the soundtrack was absolutely blinding, and is easily the most epic of the entire bunch I've listed. It is consistent throughout, and builds up to a suitably dramatic conclusion. I do think my opinion of the film would be lesser if it wasn't for the score.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pqfsJwuaWk

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Howard Shore)
    This is the perfect blend of emotion and drama in music. Across all three films, the score aided the long-drawn story and matched the tone perfectly. It was truly fantastic.
    Recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_q2mYi7N4s

Notable Mentions:

Jurassic Park (John Williams)
    The Day After Tomorrow (Harold Kloser)
    Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri)
    Sleepy Hollow (Danny Elfman)

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I've posted a few of my favourites, too many to be fussed listing anyway!! I think it was this thread!!

Anyway...

Really liking the score to this years 'The Thing', sadly the film didn't live up to promise the score offers (I heard the score several times before I saw the film).

Great score I reckon.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) The Last Samurai(Hans Zimmer).I never tire of listening to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Once Upon a Time in Mexico, love the latin based music.

Blow soundtrack

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas soundtrack
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tron: Legacy, Kick-Ass and Brothers :)

Ooh and Fast Five :)

Merry Christmas everyone :D
  • Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Morricone, but I love the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western trilogy, I'd say the best soundtrack was For a few Dollars More. I also love the Godfather soundtrack.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gladiator, Back to the Future, Predator, and Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Batman (1989)
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of my favourites have already been mentioned but I didn't see 'Badlands' with its Carl Orff soundtrack (schulwerk) which is beautifully deployed throughout.