Half Term

leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This week is half term week but is it really necessary to have weeks off in february,may and october. Should schools fall in line with other sectors of the workforce and work through to easter and christmas. I would abolish half terms and reduce easter to just a few days just like the majority of the workforce.

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a joyless nation we are becoming. So many people seem to think that life should be all about work or academia. Human beings need to enrich their lives in other ways, you know.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    This week is half term week but is it really necessary to have weeks off in february,may and october. Should schools fall in line with other sectors of the workforce and work through to easter and christmas. I would abolish half terms and reduce easter to just a few days just like the majority of the workforce.

I agree. But why stop there?

Let's go back to sending children down the mines and up chimneys. Or into the fields to work as soon as they get in from school.

And if they don't work hard, beat them with a stick or belt.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,416
    Forum Member
    What a joyless nation we are becoming. So many people seem to think that life should be all about work or academia. Human beings need to enrich their lives in other ways, you know.
    Send them back down the mines >:(

:p;-)

-edit-
    too late!
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why?

Is your problem with the 'School Workforce' or the Children's education?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - are you childless?

If "YES", are you soulless?

Before we debate whether it's not necessary to have half terms, would you care to elaborate on why it's NOT necessary to have them? You've stated it's not necessary, but why?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Teachers need a break and so do the pupils.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Working 6 hours a day really takes its toll after a while...... :p
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I like having my son at home with me during school holidays thanks.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree teachers and children need a break, but is two weeks half term three times a year a little bit over the top, especially given the fairly lengthy Christmas, Easter and summer holidays?

I used to get just 3 days half term and that seemed plenty at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Working 6 hours a day really takes its toll after a while...... :p

They do not only work 6 hours a day. or in fact just during term time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I agree teachers and children need a break, but is two weeks half term three times a year a little bit over the top, especially given the fairly lengthy Christmas, Easter and summer holidays?

When?

My son doesn't get two weeks at half-term, they get a week off. Then it's two weeks at Easter and Christmas and six weeks in the summer.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    No, I like having my son at home with me during school holidays thanks.

Me too

He's at special school- they had a month off at Christmas and get another month at Easter
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a school, so personally, I love having a holiday every 6 weeks. I dont get paid for the holidays, I work 39 weeks per year and get paid for 44. A huge number of employees working in education dont get paid. So if schools fell in line with the rest of the work force and just had 4 weeks a years, the wages bill and running cost of the schools would be hard to maintain, jobs would be lost, standards would fall etc. It would also mean that the curriculum would need to be extended to cover the extra hours/weeks which would again require resources that would need paying for.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always loved it when my children have been off of school. I think kids are at school for too much of the time.
    Children seem to find most of their lessons boring and they tend to zone out by the end of the day. I'm all for 3 hours a day of intense learning with fantastic teachers - then home for some fun of their choosing.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »

Half-term is usually one week. It's Christmas and Easter that are two weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite. As my dad has always said "work to live, not live to work"
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Can you please include us lowly members of staff too? Thank you :D
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opening remark was is half terms really necessary. Other sectors of the workforce work from when they go back on january 2/3 to easter which is another eight weeks away so why are schools treated differently. I would welcome government policy that did away with half terms,increased the school day from 8am until 6pm and taught those of school age some discipline and respect for the general populus which is sadly lacking today as i have found out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opening remark was is half terms really necessary. Other sectors of the workforce work from when they go back on january 2/3 to easter which is another eight weeks away. I would welcome government policy that did away with half terms,increased the school day and taught those of school age to respect the general populus which is sadly lacking today as i have found out!

You may have a point there with young adults, in their final year of school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opening remark was is half terms really necessary. Other sectors of the workforce work from when they go back on january 2/3 to easter which is another eight weeks away so why are schools treated differently. I would welcome government policy that did away with half terms,increased the school day from 8am until 6pm and taught those of school age some discipline and respect for the general populus which is sadly lacking today as i have found out!

Well that's not actually true is it because most work places have so many weeks a year that their staff are entitled to so it's quite feasible (and in some cases like the bank my brother works in) one week's holiday could easily have been taken in the first three months of the year.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opening remark was is half terms really necessary. Other sectors of the workforce work from when they go back on january 2/3 to easter which is another eight weeks away. I would welcome government policy that did away with half terms,increased the school day and taught those of school age to respect the general populus which is sadly lacking today as i have found out!

As I said in my post, that would all cost money, so who would pay for it? Schools have already had budgets cut, so it would be staff that would go, like teaching assistants and dinner ladies and cleaners!!
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

When you were in school, would you have liked to be in school from 8 til 6, 5 days a week and not have a half term break?
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    When you were in school, would you have liked to be in school from 8 til 6, 5 days a week and not have a half term break?

I should think the answer is no. They are now probably jealous of the fact that children get these breaks when they no longer do.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just trying to ask the question why are schools treated different to those in other professions. Teachers have it easy and get paid good money. The school year should be revised to

A work non stop from new year to easter

B A 4 day break at easter

C a two week summer break

D and go through to christmas with NO break

E teachers should drill into the pupils to have respect for the general populus which is sadly NOT being taught in schools
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am just trying to ask the question why are schools treated different to those in other professions. Teachers have it easy and get paid good money. The school year should be revised to

A work non stop from new year to easter

B A 4 day break at easter

C a two week summer break

D and go through to christmas with NO break

E teachers should drill into the pupils to have respect for the general populus which is sadly NOT being taught in schools

Stopped reading after that load of bollocks.