Options

Does criticizing immigration make you a hypocrite when YOU yourself have foreign ties

PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
Forum Member
One of my parents was a 70's immigrant yet my sisters do criticize today's immigration but I can't help thinking that they're a little hypocritical when their existence depended on this.

Comments

• Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    One of my parents was a 70's immigrant yet my sisters do criticize today's immigration but I can't help thinking that they're a little hypocritical when their existence depended on this.

Well you would be wrong then.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, just concerned I would think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your sisters didn't make a decision to come here, therefore they can have any view they wish without being hypocritical.

Your foreign parent on the other hand could only be described as hypocritical if they critisised all forms of immigration whatsoever.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    It depends how you criticise immigration

If you say stuff like "damn foreigners, they should stay where they belong" and other such bollocks, then yes

If you have genuine concerns with the numbers of people coming in, criminal records, useful experience/skills etc...then no.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't post on here do they? ;)

Yes it is somewhat strange to be biting the hand that fed you. Most people in this country are immigrants of variant sorts in terms of their ancestors although convincing them of such a fact is seldom possible.

I think there is a difference between legitimate concerns about factors that affect our lives and general complaining about a generic stereotype so it does depend on that.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe so, my relatives came here as asylum seekers back in the early 70s and I support our taking people who need asylum, I also support controlled immigration and would actually ease some of the terms people from around the world have to adhere to so they could come here and join families etc much easier. What I cannot support is unlimited numbers of people who have no ties to the country who seem to be filling the bottom end of the jobs market, stopping many of us down here getting jobs and bringing down wages because they will live several families to a house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My grandparents come from the four corners of the British islands ( England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland).
    It was World War Two that brought them together, therefore as a consequence of that war i came into existence.
    I don't think anybody would argue that I couldn't criticise war without being a hypocrite.
    I see no real difference in the case of your sisters.

And to be honest they aren't many people with BNP type views on immigration.
    Most have genuine concerns, I expect your sisters are the same.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really. Immigration is not criticised by me because of the people who want to come here, but because of the fact that we have only limited housing stock and diminishing numbers of jobs for them to do.

My maternal Grandparents were Italian and settled here after WW2, when job opportunities were abundant, and housing was not the issue it is now.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I know quite a few people who are immigrants to the UK,quite a few would like to pull up the drawbridge.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    No problem with whey they've said. Immigration was more controlled and widespread in the 70s. Living in London now you often feel like you're in a foreign country with so many foreign voices everywhere. Immigration is necessary but it's gone too far now.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Living in London now you often feel like you're in a foreign country with so many foreign voices everywhere.

Statistically the most common language in my part of London other than English is French. Strangely, I don't feel like I'm in France, any more than I feel like I'm the UK if I go to France and hear a lot of people speaking English.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you're an immigrant yourself by choice and critical of other immigrants then no it doesn't make you a hypocrite.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not.

Cries of 'racist' and all sorts seem to have been a common ploy when anyone criticized immigration, but worries about the extent of it are perfectly reasonable.

And plenty of people from immigrant backgrounds feel the same.
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    I know quite a few people who are immigrants to the UK,quite a few would like to pull up the drawbridge.

That's my experience, too, particularly my late in-laws who were Jews who came to the UK before WW2. I remember them being splendidly abusive during the 1970s about the Ugandan Asians coming to Britain in circumstances not dissimilar to those they themselves had suffered years before.

I guess people will always find it difficult to square personal experience (Old xxx down the road is OK, it's the others [I've never met] who aren't) with the fairly obvious conclusion that it is the successive waves of immigration and our tolerance of it that puts the Great into Great Britain, and there's nothing to suggest this latest chapter is going to be any different.
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Everyone has foreign ties at some stage in their ancestry but let's just say an Englishman moves to Italy and the Italians don't agree with it, the Italians may not be 'native' to the land either but it was their recent ancestry that made the place what it is today so i suppose they would have the right to criticize immigration to an extent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    No.

There's a difference in having immigrant family ties who worked, made a living, didn't mooch and such. I'm all for people coming here as long as they get jobs, don't mooch and play health tourism. I'd pack the scroungers, preachers and whingers on a boat (I'd also like to put the british scourgers on but apparently we can't)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Statistically the most common language in my part of London other than English is French. Strangely, I don't feel like I'm in France, any more than I feel like I'm the UK if I go to France and hear a lot of people speaking English.

Is French the only foreign language you hear then?

Back to topic I don't think it's hypocritical myself - they can criticize the same as anyone else born here.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends how you criticise immigration

If you say stuff like "damn foreigners, they should stay where they belong" and other such bollocks, then yes

If you have genuine concerns with the numbers of people coming in, criminal records, useful experience/skills etc...then no.
    Agreed.
    JB3 wrote: »
    Just like my parents who came here in the sixties. They weren't handed things freely as it seems to be now, in fact my Dad never claimed a welfare benefit in his working life, but even they think there should something done - be it a quota system, a cap, etc - to our immigration system.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It depends on the nature of the criticism.

Criticism of immigration per se would make you a hypocrite if you have emigrated or you are the product of immigration.

If the criticism is about excessive numbers or undesirable people being let into the country easily, then that would not be hypocritical IMHO.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    No - not hypocritical.

Immigration is about numbers and pressures on resources and jobs and housing.

When many immigrants came in the 1950s and 1960s we had full employment - and not enough people to fill the jobs. That no longer applies.

Cos in the end most people in the UK are descendants of immigrants if you go back far enough.
  • Options
    RykerRyker Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I agree they're not hypocritical. We have immigrants who benefit the country and some who don't - a bit like the rest of the population.

The debate should be about pressures on resources and whether our EU partners are living up to their responsibilities with immigrants, not whether we should allow or forbid immigration full stop.
  • Options
    PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I think the real danger is that some uneducated folk look at ALL immigrants as a bad thing.Its basically black and white for them(I mean that in both contexts).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. Back many generations ago immigration wasn't a problem, now it is. You have to remember that the majority of people who don't want people coming into this country aren't racist or predudice, they simply know that the country is it at it's limits.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My father was an immigrant and I am against immigration.

Its a population control issue, not a race issue.

People come and go all the time, but we should be aiming to have an overall negative migration. I.e more leaving than coming in.

England is the most densely populated country in Europe and the recent huge population increase has wrecked government finances., its the reason why we are having to make such huge cuts in services.

Its no coincidence that the richest countries in the world are characterised by low population density. Quality is more important than quantity.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally. The most anti immigration person I ever met IRL... was a second generation Irish Brummie.:D Always made me have a bit of a laugh behind her back. Who are your parents? What's your surname? Why do you want to close the door behind yourself? I'm 100% English as far back as can be traced, on every line that can be traced and I don't give a toss about immigration! It seems hypocritical to want to pull up the ladder after yourself and spew out hatred to people only doing what your parents or grandparents did...