Need a cheap Sim for web browsing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Only for 2 weeks as I'm doing nights & wont have access to any Wifi. Use will primarily be BBC/Ebay/Twitter etc - no video or audio streamimg

Just need a cheap PAYG type sim asap - any suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have found one from Sainsburys.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3's 3-2-1 PAYG probably, sounds like your usage will be pretty light.

Anything over 1GB you're better off with an add-on or the likes of GiffGaff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    3's 3-2-1 PAYG probably, sounds like your usage will be pretty light.

Anything over 1GB you're better off with an add-on or the likes of GiffGaff.

Thanks - will bear in mind. I normally have 1GB data allowance on my contract but my kids nabbed my phone, managed to turn off wifi & then proceeded to watch a couple of hours of cartoons...hence leaving me without any net!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys SIM is a joke. Been 2 weeks since I set it up & the net allowance/bundles have still not been applied. What a JOKE!

Ive looked at the 3-2-1 sim - its basically £10 for 1GB as is GiffGaff.

I dont need to make any calls on it - just net for a month Any others?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three, giffgaff or lycamobile.

Three & lycamobile are offering 4G on their bundloes if you have a capable phone and are in a 4G area, so they are your best bet.

Lyca is £10 for 1GB, Three is £10 for 1GB as is giffgaff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three, giffgaff or lycamobile.

Three & lycamobile are offering 4G on their bundloes if you have a capable phone and are in a 4G area, so they are your best bet.

Lyca is £10 for 1GB, Three is £10 for 1GB as is giffgaff.

Thanks Zee. Just 3G for me!

Ive seen GiffGaff sim on ebay (high rated seller/sold 325 of them) for 7.99 with £15 credit which gives unlimited internet.

Is there a catch?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giffgaff-Hybrid-Dual-Micro-and-Standard-Combined-SIM-Card-15-Credit-Included-/120930119316?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item1c27ff2e94
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Zee. Just 3G for me!

Ive seen GiffGaff sim on ebay (high rated seller/sold 325 of them) for 7.99 with £15 credit which gives unlimited internet.

Is there a catch?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giffgaff-Hybrid-Dual-Micro-and-Standard-Combined-SIM-Card-15-Credit-Included-/120930119316?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item1c27ff2e94

doesn't seem to be a catch, go for it. Just remember to add either the "£12 or £15 goodby bags, giving you unlimited internet.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically Three is £10 for 1.15GB as you get 150MB with every top-up which lasts for 30 days, as long as you don't use it for any calls or texts.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically Three is £10 for 1.15GB as you get 150MB with every top-up which lasts for 30 days, as long as you don't use it for any calls or texts.

Well if we're being technical it's £10 for 1.12GB.
    1GB = 1024MB :D
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Argos have the EE 6GB data sim for 3G/4G use for £15, valid for up to 90 days.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1094352.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1083806.htm
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Of course, a fair cop...

Having said that, if the £15 giffgaff credit for £7 isn't too good to be true (no reason to see otherwise) with a goodybag for unlimited data, I'd go for that if it's just for less than a month, as long as you will be within decent O2 3G signal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, a fair cop...

Having said that, if the £15 giffgaff credit for £7 isn't too good to be true (no reason to see otherwise) with a goodybag for unlimited data, I'd go for that if it's just for less than a month, as long as you will be within decent O2 3G signal.

How do you get £15 giffgaff credit for £7?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you get £15 giffgaff credit for £7?

view the ebay link posted in the thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're being really technical, no it's not.
    GiB != GB

1 GB = 1000 MB
    1 GiB = 1024 MiB
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, a fair cop...

Yeah, it's just someone re-selling an unwanted SIM for less than it's actual value, just remember next month you'll have to pay full price.

While it isn't too good to be true, some people have reported crappy data speeds on GiffGaff and there's always the lack of rural 3G coverage thanks to the O2 network it runs on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    If we're being really technical, no it's not.
    GiB != GB

1 GB = 1000 MB
    1 GiB = 1024 MiB

Hmm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common usage vs. technical correctness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
    The prefix giga means 10^9 in the International System of Units (SI), therefore one gigabyte is 1000000000bytes. The unit symbol for the gigabyte is GB.

Historically, the term has also been used in some fields of computer science and information technology to denote the gibibyte, or 1073741824 (10243 or 230) bytes.

File systems and software often list file sizes or free space in some mixture of SI units and binary units; they sometimes use SI prefixes to refer to binary interpretation – that is using a label of gigabyte or GB for a number computed in terms of gibibytes (GiB).

In 1998 the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) proposed standards for binary prefixes and requiring the use of gigabyte to strictly denote 1000^3 bytes and gibibyte to denote 1024^3 bytes. By the end of 2007, the IEC Standard had been adopted by the IEEE, EU, and NIST.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »

Brilliant!! Thanks
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    I'll see your 6GB and raise you 10GB 3G/4G Data Sim (Plus £15 credit to spend on add-ons) HERE for just £15 from EE ebay shop (data also valid for 90 days) :D
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    I'll see your 6GB and raise you 10GB 3G/4G Data Sim (Plus £15 credit to spend on add-ons) HERE for just £15 from EE ebay shop (data also valid for 90 days) :D

What does this bit of small print mean ?

Please note this SIM will NOT work in a dongle/router
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm run-on charges of £15 for 2GB or £30 for another 10GB, and both only last 30 days.

Might as well just buy a new SIM each time...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    What does this bit of small print mean ?

Please note this SIM will NOT work in a dongle/router

it will work in a phone, not a dongle
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will work in a phone, not a dongle

Yes, I can read that for myself, assuming you're not taking the piss, a bit more enlightenment please ?

Why not in a dongle? and how would it know the difference ?
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys SIM is a joke. Been 2 weeks since I set it up & the net allowance/bundles have still not been applied. What a JOKE!

Phone them. Mine wasn't activated after 7 days so I rang them and they added it straight away.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Why not in a dongle? and how would it know the difference ?

They can tell the difference somehow. - possibly by the imei number?