Options

What is your opinion of male teaching assistants

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
Forum Member
I am a teaching assistant in a primary school and I have a friend (close-ish) that make jokes about it being an odd job for a boy so what is other peoples opinions on it ??

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    It's great having male role models in primary school!
    We need more male assistants and teachers imo. It is a very female dominated work world and lots of kids have no male in their life out of school.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird mates :confused:
    I was a Teaching Assistant in 1981 and half of them were blokes.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I think you should slap your friend for:
    1) Still referring to you as a boy.
    2) Being a knobend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is true I am told very often by staff that the kids love me and that I am very popular and good with them
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with it at all!
  • Options
    GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_James2 wrote: »
    I am a teaching assistant in a primary school and I have a friend (close-ish) that make jokes about it being an odd job for a boy so what is other peoples opinions on it ??

I think its ridiculous that people make jokes about it. Someones gender doesn't impede on their ability to that job. I think it is positive for children to have teachers (as well as assistants) who aren't always female. Maybe the kids will benefit from male influence. As for your friend, he needs to have a word with himself and realise that its 2014 not 1914.

Kudos to you for doing the job by the way
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't really have one about males, specifically, but I think if you're old enough to be employed as a teaching assistant then you should be referring to yourself as a man, not as a boy.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2) Being a knobend.

This, really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    It's good to have men as well as women in schools. I'm sure the boys appreciate having a man around the place.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time this sort of question was asked there was a few who basically said "any bloke who wants to work with young kids is dodgy and is probably a nonce"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter_Lamy wrote: »
    It's good to have men as well as women in schools. I'm sure the boys appreciate having a man around the place.

Yes I do agree with that statement
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Last time this sort of question was asked there was a few who basically said "any bloke who wants to work with young kids is dodgy and is probably a nonce"

But why do people think that wtf
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I find teaching assistants a godsend and consider them essential, especially in challenging classes.
    Don't give a jot what gender they are, and anyone who does probably has an issue of some kind.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    this is the problem of unruly mostly boys ,there is no male in there life till its to late

the primary education system has be taken over by women eg 80% of schools have no male teachers

cos the PC nazis brand any man with young kids as as a pedo
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds just like lads banter to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds just like lads banter to me.

Yeah it don't get me down or anything I don't take offense to it I just wondered what opinions are haha
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    It's great having male role models in primary school!
    We need more male assistants and teachers imo. It is a very female dominated work world and lots of kids have no male in their life out of school.

Precisely!!

Also, I hope you tell them that you have a high level of job security, a decent salary, finish at about 4.00, usually, and have the 6 week holiday!!

Who is the daft one now? ;-)

:)
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I find teaching assistants a godsend and consider them essential, especially in challenging classes.
    Don't give a jot what gender they are, and anyone who does probably has an issue of some kind.

I agree on all counts!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    this is the problem of unruly mostly boys ,there is no male in there life till its to late

the primary education system has be taken over by women eg 80% of schools have no male teachers

cos the PC nazis brand any man with young kids as as a pedo

I agree with this statement as generally the TA's are women there is only one other male TA in my current school
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it don't get me down or anything I don't take offense to it I just wondered what opinions are haha

I did a year's volunteering in a primary school when I was in 6th form and I loved every minute of it. It's a brilliant job, but doesn't pay enough for me.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2) Being a knobend.

Quite

:D

Wonder if they have the same problem with male nurses
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have worked with several and their skills have always complemented mine plus they always seem to be doing the job for the right reasons.........
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there`s not enough male staff in primary schools, a more even mix right across the board would be good.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd find it unusual seeing a male teaching assistant, not that there's anything wrong with it, I just don't remember seeing one when I was at school.

There wern't many male primary school teachers either but it was a lot more even at high school.
  • Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a female teaching assistant in a school with 8 different classes, and quite a large staff and it is ALL female, the only male influence in school is when the football in the community lads drop by once a week from the local football club.

In a school where so many kid have difficult family lives and particularly a lack of male role models in the family home, it has certainly been a hindrance to have no regular male in school, you only have to see the way some of these kids hang off the football in the community lads to know how much they appreciate the little time they get to spend with male role models.

Good male teachers and TA's can have such a positive impact on the school and also for practicality reasons, an all female staff for trips out can be a nightmare when it comes to public toilets, having no male with us to check on them!

So it's great to have male teaching assistants in primary schools, they are very highly valued, I certainly find at interviews if presented with a GOOD highly competent male TA vs a GOOD highly competent female TA, if they feel the children lack a male presence in school, they would go with the male candidate.