Vodafone Big Top 40

Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
Forum Member
When does the sales period for this chart begin? Obviously for the actual Radio 1 chart it starts at 00:00 on Sunday and the songs chart the next week but the BT40 includes songs released at 00:00 on the Sunday which has made me wonder when the sales period starts.

Then there is the live top ten which doesn't get closed until 6pm but surely a song at #20 at the start of the show could make the top ten which makes the rest of the chart show irrelevant because if #20 rises to #7, all of the songs lower in the chart will have to fall down the chart.

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottom line is that chart is irrelevant to the music industry. It's only the chart on radio 1 that is important. In 20 yrs time nobody is going to refer to a chart position on the Vodafone (how long has it been called THAT? :o) chart.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Bottom line is that chart is irrelevant to the music industry. It's only the chart on radio 1 that is important. In 20 yrs time nobody is going to refer to a chart position on the Vodafone (how long has it been called THAT? :o) chart.

I was just wondering as it was on in the background lol. I know it's not relevant to music
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just wondering as it was on in the background lol. I know it's not relevant to music

Sorry, I didn't mean it to look like I was having a go :)
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's meant to give you the most up to date chart, ie it's basically announcing what the iTunes top 10 chart is at 6pm, which you can do via your phone or computer so it is pointless I guess

However it's a much more entertaining and lovely show than R1 which is just a bore in every way, they need a new host

Jamellia Jamil or how ever you spell her name make Marvin & Kat sound like the most entertaining radio hosts in history
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

I think it's changed its name a few times. I think when it was first started in 2009 it was called the Big Top 40 Show?

It's not a big deal anyway. There's HUNDREDS of unofficial charts out there, I don't know why people get so wound up about this one in particular. It gets more listeners than the official chart on Radio 1 simply because it's broadcast on 100+ radio stations (including Capital and Heart which are huge stations). I'm sure most people listening know it's not the official chart.