Panel insurance?

Our expensive LCD TV developed an annoying panel fault some months after the 1-year guarantee had expired so for the next set I'm torn between lightning not striking twice and taking out insurance. The only place I've seen that does specific panel insurance is Richer Sounds, 10% of the set price for 5-yr cover, but does anyone have experience of other sources?

I'd like to get the set from Laskys on price (looking at the 40" Sony), but their general extended warranty is £190 on a £600 set for 5-yr, nearly a third.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Most extended warranties are through Domestic and General Insurance (D&G), but if you're buying a 40 inch Sony it probably comes with a 5 year extended warranty anyway, provided by Sony through D&G.

The fault in the pictures looks like contamination inside the LCD panel, smoking is a prime cause of this - LCD's aren't sealed, even small insects can get inside. It's by no means guaranteed that an extended warranty would even cover this, it's not a 'manufacturing defect', it's damage caused by 'abuse' - you might find that your household insurance covers you, if you have accidental damage cover.

As an engineer I would happily replace the panel for such a problem, either under the initial 12 month warranty (I've done ONE so far), or under an extended warranty (where I wouldn't tell the insurance company what the actual fault was, and they don't actually ask).