Options

What targets should David Moyes be set for 2014/15 season?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
Forum Member
If the fans and owners accept that this season is a write-off but that Moyes still deserves another chance after a summer transfer window then what realistic targets should be be given to achieve next season?

Which of the following list should be his target that if he doesn't reach he should be dismissed for in May 2015?
  • Premier League title
  • Premier league top 4
  • At least one major trophy
  • Simply rebuilding the squad and looking towards the next 5 years

I don't think Moyes is the right man to manage a big club, but the fans still seem to be behind 'the Chosen One' and so I'd like to know what they think would be an acceptable performance from the team after this season?

Comments

• Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    • Premier League title
    • Premier league top 4
    • At least one major trophy
    • Simply rebuilding the squad and looking towards the next 5 years

Cannot see Moyes successfully doing any of that next season, he'll rebuild the team but into what, is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Clear out his desk and leave his key at reception. ;-)
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top 4
    Win the Europa League (but only if he doesn't whine about playing on a Sunday all the time)
    Semi Finals of the FA Cup
    League Cup
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Find a new job.

Failing that, the top 4 is absolutely essential. It should have been this year.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deciding which of his former players and staff he can employ at Blackpool.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Top 4
    Win the Europa League (but only if he doesn't whine about playing on a Sunday all the time)
    Semi Finals of the FA Cup
    League Cup

He needs to finish top 6 fir the Europa league
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top 4
    Fa cup semi
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Top 4 my arse.

Top 4 was what we expected this year. If we go into next season with this man still in charge and having spent large money he has to challenge for the title again. His "top 4 grace period" was this season and thats the exception rather than the rule.

FA Cup semi final is failure in itself. If we are mentioning the FA Cup at all it is as a trophy to be won, anything less and we can go out in the 3rd round for all the difference it makes.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a period of grace for Manchester United fans to consider their 'new' position in football?

What if the next guy does the same? Or the one after that? What if battling for top 4 and the odd FA Cup is your new future?
  • Options
    super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top 4 and FA Cup.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    must be a title challenge?

utd have already fallen down the pecking order domestically, they don't want it to become permanent.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as it was for this year... a title challenge and play in the manner Utd are known to. He's failed this year, if he is looking like he's going to fail last year he'll be gone.

Cups are there to be won... not set a target of "semi final"... that's fictitious football manager chat.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't write them off getting through to the last 8 of the CL against Olympiakos. You can't get better than 2/1 ( I was going to have a little bet, but not at that price! ) against them qualifying, and who knows what might happen if they do get through ?

Next season ? I suppose it depends on how much money they spend in the summer.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Top 4 my arse.

Top 4 was what we expected this year. If we go into next season with this man still in charge and having spent large money he has to challenge for the title again. His "top 4 grace period" was this season and thats the exception rather than the rule.

FA Cup semi final is failure in itself. If we are mentioning the FA Cup at all it is as a trophy to be won, anything less and we can go out in the 3rd round for all the difference it makes.

Hey,that's my line. :p:D

Get rid of as many not good enough to wear the shirt players as possible.

I don't want to hear,

does a job
    works hard
    loves playing for the club
    needs more time to prove himself

I don't care, if the player isn't good enough.

Get rid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UEFA Cup and Top 6 in the League.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Surely his targets for next year should be to find a new job?

If he finishes in 7th (or even 6th) then he should be sacked on the spot. He has taken the champions and turned them into Europa League contenders and that should not be acceptable for a club of Utds stature.

While no club deserves to finish in the top 4 every season, if you take the champions and take them that low surely you have failed in all of your targets and should not be given a huge pot of money to rebuild a team that clearly didn't need it just 12 months ago.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Surely his targets for next year should be to find a new job?

If he finishes in 7th (or even 6th) then he should be sacked on the spot. He has taken the champions and turned them into Europa League contenders and that should not be acceptable for a club of Utds stature.

While no club deserves to finish in the top 4 every season, if you take the champions and take them that low surely you have failed in all of your targets and should not be given a huge pot of money to rebuild a team that clearly didn't need it just 12 months ago.

Especially if you're a manager who had a reputation for doing well with little to no money. But the guy who built a reputation on over-achieving on a low budget now needs a few hundred million to get back up to the top.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top 4 and FA Cup.
    UEFA Cup and Top 6 in the League.

So which of the above is it?

Or was one of those supposed to be posted under one of your other aliases?
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Moyes will try to get his first trophy under his belt early..league cup or fa cup would be realistic as they are one off games..the premiership title ? no way

I can't ever see utd winning the preimership under Moyes..his tactics are so mundane and straight line..never one to take a risk.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Busted! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I changed my mind.

Top 6 and Europa League it is.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, City, Chelsea et al will be strenghtening this summer. I doubt if Utd can add any decent players to their squad. Why would a top player join Utd ?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed my mind.

In the space of 2 hours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the space of 2 hours?

Forgot to delete old post.

But who cares?
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man united are stuck with david moyes for years to come he's the chosen one
    Appointed by fergie and everyone knows fergie is very stubborn
    And he won't back down he will keep telling the glasers moyes needs time :p
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fully expect Moyes to be sacked if or when they finish outside the top 4.

Moyes should target another premier league managerial role or take some time off.