Options

Will You Be Donating On Red Nose Day?

Comments

• Options
    thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Not at all! I do not donate charities as it need all the money I have. As I am out of work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quote "What would it take? Would you like them to personally send you a copy of their bank statements?"

Red nose day is a registered charity, all it would take is for the people running the charity to publicly state that all of those celebs who we see during comic relief have given a lot of money - you don't think this is a fair thing to ask?

Why should the poor give to the poor while the rich give nothing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    No most definitely not. I hate being begged for money by patronising celebs like Bono etc.

The price of petrol has gone up so much I can hardly afford to get to work and back. Anyone who thinks they are getting any money out of me can think again.

Agreed - same here, plus the increase in Gas, Electric, food prices, Tax - then the reduction in child tax credits, child benefit - can hardly afford to keep my own family's heads above water - good luck to Comic Relief but i'll be concentrating on my family's welfare.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops it appears i've opened a can of worms here :o

First off, thank you wonkeydonkey :) I checked the donation page this morning, and instantly recognised your name as a DS-er, so thank you :)

My view on Comic Relief is that it is one of the few charities that manages to get so many people involved, it brings out people who wouldn't normally donate to charity and gets them involved and interested. Its a big one for getting kids involved and making them feel part of it all, so surely those can only be good things? I know alot of people don't like the whole big fan fair around these Comic Relief days, but i just feel it manages to create more buzz, get more people interested and manage to raise more money to help more worthwhile projects.

And those who say about not donating because they can't afford to, i don't think anyone expects anyone who can't afford to donate to donate, i'm sure everyone knows that in these tough times that not everyone can spare cash (I certainly understand that after an expensive start to 2011!)

I don't really agree with those who see it as less of a charity though just because of all the publicity; people say they don't feel they should donate while the celebrities are there with more money, but take the celebrities away and at the end of the day it is still a charity trying to make money to help very worthwhile causes. I hope i've made sense in that post as me and words don't seem to be getting along today :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    No I'm afraid not. Every penny that comes in is either going straight back out in taxes, bills for electricity and water going up or food shopping going up. Charity has to begin at home.
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of the zelebs work for the charity throughout the year without any publicity?

I would be interested to find out
  • Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I was only speaking for myself but feel that people blaming their reluctance to donate on the nature of the TV programme are using a weak excuse.

Maybe they just feel strongly about it. I know it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Either way, we all have our reasons.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    No I'm afraid not. Every penny that comes in is either going straight back out in taxes, bills for electricity and water going up or food shopping going up. Charity has to begin at home.

Same here. I do have a direct debit where I donate money to the RSPCA and also the Macmillen Nurses.
    I will only donate to charities where the money stays in this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many of the zelebs work for the charity throughout the year without any publicity?

I would be interested to find out

Perhaps if comic relief wasn't so over-saturated with zlist "celebs" then I might find it in my heart to give a damn what the charities are and give but I can't get past that patronisation that we all need to see famous faces in order to function/relate to anything these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if comic relief wasn't so over-saturated with zlist "celebs" then I might find it in my heart to give a damn what the charities are and give but I can't get past that patronisation that we all need to see famous faces in order to function/relate to anything these days.

I wonder if HRH Cole will be on this year, the woman that charged was it 220k to do a breats cancer gig for half an hour.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been buying the Walkers crisps regularly and we've got a red nose each.

I might donate a bit more if any of the programs make me laugh, which from previous experience I'd think is very unlikely.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I've been buying the Walkers crisps regularly and we've got a red nose each.
    Oh, yeah, those Stephen Fry-Up crisps are quite nice.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I already donate to Concern worldwide and we sponsor a Dogs Trust dog

I cant really afford anything more though I bought my son a nose, and I have eaten a few crisps of theirs

It makes me feel guilty really, like when people try to make me sign up in the streets. I cant afford anything more then I give, I guess if I ever have anything else spare I give it to people who are homeless or buy them a sandwich or something.

Im interested that a couple of people will only give to charity if its just for the uk, I wonder if a lot of people feel like that?
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, yeah, those Stephen Fry-Up crisps are quite nice.

Lovely aren't they?

The Jimmy Con Carne ones are delicious too.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^No thanks, I hate that smug git Carr.
    shmisk wrote: »
    Im interested that a couple of people will only give to charity if its just for the uk, I wonder if a lot of people feel like that?
    Only far right wingers so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm skint at the moment, so no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But without a doubt it is the celebrities that bring in the money. Who on earth would bother to watch a telethon that consisted entirely of films of kindly members of the public talking about their work? They HAVE to have the splashy names or the money just wouldn't come. If you think it is patronising to use famous faces to raise money (£9,000,000 last year), I wonder what you would put in their place?
    Edit: Why z list "celebs" btw? Which of these participants would you describe as z-list? - Cliff Richard, Dave Gilmour, Brian May, Rowan Atkinson, Joanna Lumley, Cher, Pet Shop Boys, Eric Clapton, Spice Girls, Boyzone, Westlife, Sugababes, Proclaimers, Tom Jones, Jonathan Ross, Ant and Dec, Graham Norton, the Top Gear three, Kate Moss, Russell Brand, David Tennant....?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money's too tight around here for charitable donations at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would put heart warming stories of truly inspirational people up who have endured, achieved and overcome. I don't feel the need to reach for the phone to donate because some egotistical celeb with the intention of flogging their latest CD has told me it's worthy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would put heart warming stories of truly inspirational people up who have endured, achieved and overcome. I don't feel the need to reach for the phone to donate because some egotistical celeb with the intention of flogging their latest CD has told me it's worthy.

You will be glad to know that Red Nose day is full of heart warming stories of truly inspirational people who have endured, achieved, and overcome. :) The celebrities are there to get bums on seats, then they are inveigled into watching the real stories.
  • Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only far right wingers so far.

How do you know they're right wingers? And why on earth does it matter if they are? :confused:
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not donating. I never do. Luckily I am off work this year for an unrelated reason but it's a relief not to be pestered about it.

I do donate quite a bit to charities I do support but it should be a private matter and not something you feel you have to do.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

aye, I only donate to charities that provide aid or research in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it might be because people tend to donate to causes because they have seen loved ones suffer and wish to give in memory of them or to prevent others suffering the same thing.

As charity is personal I think many will give to Uk based charities. Mainly because they can relate to what they have seen in their own lives.

It is not that they do not understand suffering abroad but it does not affect them as personally as say giving to local Cancer causes after seeing a loved one suffer from cancer.

i am not saying it is right but I suspect that might be a reason
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't give money to Africa, they don't need money, they need contraceptives.