Options

Home Delivery Take-a-way's: Do you tip at the door?

Paul M CPaul M C Posts: 1,069
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

Just wanted to get people's opinions as to whether or not you tip delivery drivers for home delivery take-a-ways?

Some people I speak to always do, others don't,.

I use an Indian take-a-way every weekend who do home delivery. Thing is, I always pay by card, over the phone, at time of placing the order.

I don't usually cash on me, so when the driver brings it to the door, as I've pre-paid, I don't tip. However, I always feel guilty and feel like I should?

However, if I am using our Kebab House who do home delivery, because this is cash only upon delivery, if, say, the cost is £11.20 - I will give them £12 and say keep the change - that sort of thing..... However, if something comes to exactly £10, then again, I don't tend to tip.

I guess perhaps the exception here is when places (and we have one here) that charges you extra for home delivery... then for sure, I wouldn't feel guilty!

So, just wondered what the common 'etiquette' is here?

Do you always tip?

Comments

• Options
    Dave StentDave Stent Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't usually tip deliveries but let them keep the change if it's under £1. This may not be common delivery etiquette, it's just what I do.
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    If the change is under a pound I let them keep it. Otherwise, no tip.
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    I usually do tip yes. If the bill is say £8.50 or £9.00 I'll give them a tenner and leave them with the change.

I think its a good little earner that job. I know my local takeaway used to pay them £2.00 per delivery, then they get the tips on top. Not bad money for a few hours work each night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    We rarely have cash on us, so no.
  • Options
    AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is no need to
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worry if I don't tip. My imagination runs wild at what might have been dips in my Korma.
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldielox wrote: »
    I usually do tip yes. If the bill is say £8.50 or £9.00 I'll give them a tenner and leave them with the change.

This is what we do.
    AJ21 wrote: »
    there is no need to

Well, how do you know? I use the same places regularly, and my service is always excellent. Would yours be?
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do normally, give them a quid or so.
  • Options
    momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldielox wrote: »
    I usually do tip yes. If the bill is say £8.50 or £9.00 I'll give them a tenner and leave them with the change

we do this , we tend to use the same places each time and always get good service . Foods good too :D
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're delivering in really terrible weather, I'll always try to give the driver £1 depending on what change I have, 50p if I don't have a £1 coin.
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    No, why should I? They're doing a job that they get paid for. I don't get tipped at work.
  • Options
    yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    I just say 'keep the change' :p
  • Options
    springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always tip for fastfood. Not for home shopping though
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    No, why should I? They're doing a job that they get paid for. I don't get tipped at work.

I agree, when I order a takeaway I pay an extra £1.00 for delivery. I don't give a tip at the Indian takeaway / pizzeria after a night out in town so why should I when it's delivered after paying a delivery surplus?
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I always round it off to the nearest quid up and let them keep that.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to have a takeaway curry once a week came to just over 18 quid (we always had the same things), gave the delivery chappie 20 quid.

I know it's all built into the price, but for the convenience of having tastiness delivered to my door I couldn't be doing with the faffing about of getting a quid or so in change.

On occasion we would find little extras in the bag, and the food was consistently good.

Shame it burnt down, now I have to go collect from another :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People that say they 'round it off', I assume you pay on delivery? I use 'Hungry House' where you pay when you order so no money is required.
  • Options
    Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I've already paid for the goods and it's their job.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yeah on deliveries. If we order a kebab in our house it usually comes to about £9.20 or sommat so just give them a tenner and have done with it. Can't be arsed with them faffing about looking for change when i just want to shut the door and tuck into my kebab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    People that say they 'round it off', I assume you pay on delivery? I use 'Hungry House' where you pay when you order so no money is required.

I pay by card but still give the delivery person a tip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay by card but still give the delivery person a tip

Hmm, If you buy something off eBay, do you give the postman a tip? The delivery person gets a fixed wage just like a postman does. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Hmm, If you buy something off eBay, do you give the postman a tip? The delivery man gets a fixed wage just like a postman does. :confused:

No they dont, some might, but most just get a £ or two per delivery , like waiters and waitresses most of their wages are made up with tips. If it wasn't for tips it would not be worth their while doing it and the shop would have to charge more for delivery
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I very rarely have a home take-away delivery, I usually go and collect it myself. However, if some food is delivered then I normally give the driver £1.00.

Some years ago, during a period of unemployment, my brother was actually working delivering take-aways. He delivered Indian, pizzas and Chinese at various different times. He's told me some very interesting stories about what he found/encountered during some of his deliveries.

One of the most memorable is the one, which happened on many occasions, when he's actually been standing on someones doorstep, in pouring rain, counting out a customers change to the exact penny!

I know there's no obligation whatsoever to give the driver a tip but something like that, under those circumstances,sounds so very mean to me.

Conversely, he's been to houses where someone has ordered, say, £15 worth of food and he's been given £20 and told to keep the change for his trouble!

There's good and bad!
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Same as the OP, I usually order online and pay by card and don't have cash when the delivery is made. The cost of the delivery is built into the price anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they dont, some might, but most just get a £ or two per delivery , like waiters and waitresses most of their wages are made up with tips. If it wasn't for tips it would not be worth their while doing it and the shop would have to charge more for delivery

Well my delivery guy usually has a van so I suspect he does several deliveries per hour. I pay a surplus so therefore no tip required.

PS. I'm not tight and ALWAYS give a tip in a restaurant, usually between 10-15% of total cost but will not tip for takeaways. Quite often I don't even have any change in the house when it's delivered.