Are You Fed Up With Who's On Heart?

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
Forum Member
This has been dragging on for six months now. How much longer? This years Whos On Heart started in January and within a few weeks Stevie Nicks was identified as one of the voices. Since then no further correct guesses. But the dj's tell us we are so close to that jackpot being won. Really? they have been saying that since March! Seriously how much longer can this go on? One year they started to give clues because it had to be won. And the contestants all come out with the same stuff. "Stevie Nicks obviously" is a favourite thing to say then the dj will say you have got one right. Then ask to lock them in. Then comes the "Potentially you are on for the jackpot". Only they are not. They must have a cut off point or it could go on for years!

Comments

• kevthelutonbeekevthelutonbee Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    This has been dragging on for six months now. How much longer? This years Whos On Heart started in January and within a few weeks Stevie Nicks was identified as one of the voices. Since then no further correct guesses. But the dj's tell us we are so close to that jackpot being won. Really? they have been saying that since March! Seriously how much longer can this go on? One year they started to give clues because it had to be won. And the contestants all come out with the same stuff. "Stevie Nicks obviously" is a favourite thing to say then the dj will say you have got one right. Then ask to lock them in. Then comes the "Potentially you are on for the jackpot". Only they are not. They must have a cut off point or it could go on for years!

The cut off point will be
    a) when the income from the calls has covered £130K prize money (assuming no one gets the last two on the same call)
    b) Heart have made a tidy contribution to their bottom line over and above the £130K prize fund
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Any radio competition bores me I never enter them or have any intention of doing so whatever the prize is. Its a tune out for me.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whos on Heart is just a rip off and needs told off by soft Ofcom.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member

Sadly they don't give a 4x

They no longer have any teeth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member

Why's it a "rip off"? And what's it got to do with Ofcom?
    Forum Member
    Ofcom as the official government department laughingly entrusted with anything to do with radio and tv rulings
    So if there were complaints I would imagine that they would rule on the legality or otherwise of what is a networked competition
    But as they wouldn't want to upset Global .. God forbid would probably do nothing anyhow even if fault was found
    As far as I know though there's never been any evidence of this competition being run anything other than correctly
    But it is bloody irritating !!😄
  • andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted to this thread earlier on, but now it's gone, why?
    Forum Member
    andrew1973 wrote: »
    I posted to this thread earlier on, but now it's gone, why?

I saw it Andrew Directly above my first comment
    Can't help you sorry
  • andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    I saw it Andrew Directly above my first comment
    Can't help you sorry

Well glad to know I wasn't going mad, so it seems you can't mock or be cynical about Global now on here. Not impressed DS, the mods could have least PM'd me to explain why.
  • wilts_ianwilts_ian Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a competition, so they aren't doing anything wrong or illegal in terms of law or compliance. It's nothing more than a follow on from the older generation of "Secret Sound" competitions, so there is nothing that OFCOM would even start to investigate.
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No rules have been broken though and Heart is here to make money, for which that competion makes them a decent amount, not just in profit but social awarness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Any radio competition bores me I never enter them or have any intention of doing so whatever the prize is. Its a tune out for me.

Agreed. Can't bare Who's on Heart or STB promo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »

Agreed. Can't bare Who's on Heart or STB promo on capital. It's too much, going on and on about each every link etc etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Heart NWs presenters at 9am had no idea what to say about Who on heart, they were lost for words! Stuttering and pauses. Surely they must know what to say about it by now! Sounded dire.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    Agreed. Can't bare Who's on Heart or STB promo on capital. It's too much, going on and on about each every link etc etc.

Exactly its the way that these competitions are constantly promoted that's so annoying. They have a lowest bid auction for a Bulgaria Holiday on Norwich 99.9 at the moment and they constantly either mention it or play the promo. I wouldn't want to go to Bulgaria if they gave it to me plus a grand spending money.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Has this been guessed yet? I remember something similar on Smooth (or was it Melody back then) and that was irritating too as after a certain amount of time it just gets stale.
  • bahhhhbahhhh Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Shall i 'lock them in'? what the hell is that all about - lock what in?
  • HotkeysHotkeys Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Its to stop a caller changing their mind mid call...
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Ofcom as the official government department laughingly entrusted with anything to do with radio and tv rulings
    So if there were complaints I would imagine that they would rule on the legality or otherwise of what is a networked competition
    But as they wouldn't want to upset Global .. God forbid would probably do nothing anyhow even if fault was found
    As far as I know though there's never been any evidence of this competition being run anything other than correctly
    But it is bloody irritating !!😄

Heart did get a warning a couple of years back for playing the competition and not telling listeners they were playing across the network. Now that its made clear theres nothing wrong with the competition at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like most things on heart it's irritating
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Heart did get a warning a couple of years back for playing the competition and not telling listeners they were playing across the network. Now that its made clear theres nothing wrong with the competition at all.

Heart are totally transparent about the fact it's networked and the cost of the calls.

All the same, you do wonder how long it can go on for. I can understand concerns. Surely it couldn't be allowed to run for, 5 years, say?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it really been running since January? It's getting boring after just 6 weeks on the new Heart stations :(
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep it started january. Pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 2nd celebrity has been correctly identified, earning the player 20 grand
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    bahhhh wrote: »
    Shall i 'lock them in'? what the hell is that all about - lock what in?

I know it's some stupid idea they have for this years competition. Not once has anyone said no to locking in and changed their mind!
    A 2nd celebrity has been correctly identified, earning the player 20 grand

Which one is it? Gethin Jones or Ben Miller. They should make it clear. The next few callers will be at a disadvantage. And if you just won wouldnt you ask which celebrity was the correct answer?