Options

The Nexus S is here! (Alongside gingerbread)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-s

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/introducing-nexus-s-with-gingerbread.html

More details as they come!

Released in the UK on the 20th.

Those with a N1 can get the update now apparently.

Comments

• Options
    dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is one ugly handset.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O god we know have the Contour display, no doubt soon to be known as the Cuntour.
    To compete with that cRetina display.

I can't work out which is the most stupid banal invention.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to have that rough plastic back that was popular in the 90's.
    http://www.google.com/nexus/images/gallery/big-5.jpg

Also. . .on the main site it says "pure Google". . .but on the back case it says it's made by Samsung.
    :confused:
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When do people on other devices get it, such as the HTC Desire HD.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus One - metal casing, very well designed, made by a manufacturer with a decent track record. Cool features like hardware noise cancellation.

Nexus S - cheap plasticky casing, crap design, made by a manufacturer with a distinctly dodgy track record (on one of their North American models, you have to warm the phone up to get it to go into recovery mode!). The only thing it really has going for it is the CPU/GPU.

I think I'll be sticking with my N1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    When do people on other devices get it, such as the HTC Desire HD.

It'll be a while, HTC have to now modify it to work with HTC Sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was hoping this would have a dual core processor, but since it hasn't I'll give it a miss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash memory by the looks of it so they are getting rid of the SD card, something all other android phones have. Must be something wrong there but the Google page says 16GB internal memory.

Only interested in the software tbh, cant wait to have it on my phone.

review here: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/06/google-nexus-s-review/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Nexus One - metal casing,
    Nexus S - cheap plasticky casing,
    Plastic casing overall have better shock absorption when dropped.
    In fact some of the renowned phones rate quite abysmal here.

My cheap plastic WIn CE GPS used on my bicycle survived happily bouncing downhill at 30 mph. (ejected by a pothole)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the buttons at the bottom too, they've been moved around again! What are they playing at?! Nowhere near a better order either.

• Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus One - metal casing, very well designed, made by a manufacturer with a decent track record. Cool features like hardware noise cancellation.

Nexus S - cheap plasticky casing, crap design, made by a manufacturer with a distinctly dodgy track record (on one of their North American models, you have to warm the phone up to get it to go into recovery mode!). The only thing it really has going for it is the CPU/GPU.

I love my Nexus but was looking forward to upgrading it once the new one was announced ... but this just has left me with a great big 'so what' feeling!

Not a huge advance and what the hell is with 16Gb of memory and no expansion slot? I already use the vast majority of a 32Gb microSD card so I am now being asked to effectively downgrade? Forget it.

I will wait for the next 'Google Experience' device. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can go and find Gingerbread now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    I love my Nexus but was looking forward to upgrading it once the new one was announced ... but this just has left me with a great big 'so what' feeling!

Not a huge advance and what the hell is with 16Gb of memory and no expansion slot? I already use the vast majority of a 32Gb microSD card so I am now being asked to effectively downgrade? Forget it.

I will wait for the next 'Google Experience' device. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can go and find Gingerbread now.

I believe the Galaxy S basically uses an SD card for its own internal memory - perhaps it is related to this.

My main reason for not buying this is because it is Samsung, and it is based on the Galaxy S - a truly awful phone (IMO) with a slightly different case, mildly different hardware and (presumably) a unlocked bootloader and unmolested firmware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Plastic casing overall have better shock absorption when dropped.
    In fact some of the renowned phones rate quite abysmal here.

My cheap plastic WIn CE GPS used on my bicycle survived happily bouncing downhill at 30 mph. (ejected by a pothole)

Depends on how good the plastic is.

Having felt and used the Galaxy S, it looks and feels so cheap, Not a high-end expensive phone feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some rumours have the iPad using glass fibre.
    Personally I sense a few cracks in that rumour.

I'm probably a minority in preferring function over form.
    However Acer have years of effort in moving plastic downmarket.
    I also think those early Dell Vostros bargain laptops had 'ugly' in the design print in order to sell pretty expensive ones.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about it having a Super AMOLED screen, I thought every one loved that. HTC are always criticised for having SLCD, although it's not really their fault, as Samsung makes them and theirs not enough left over, to guarantee a regular supply for HTC. That's what I read anyway.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RED_ wrote: »
    Flash memory by the looks of it so they are getting rid of the SD card, something all other android phones have. Must be something wrong there but the Google page says 16GB internal memory.

Only interested in the software tbh, cant wait to have it on my phone.

review here: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/06/google-nexus-s-review/

Maybe Google should stick to what its good at, search, e-mail and Android.

ChromeOS is already being written off as pointless. The common question is, why do we need that when we have Android. Google answer, well ChromeOS is for keyboards, i.e. netbooks and Android is for touch screens. The answer then comes back, well netbooks are yesterdays product as every one wants tablets and Windows 7 is more that adequate.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Google should stick to what its good at, search, e-mail and Android.

ChromeOS is already being written off as pointless. The common question is, why do we need that when we have Android. Google answer, well ChromeOS is for keyboards, i.e. netbooks and Android is for touch screens. The answer then comes back, well netbooks are yesterdays product as every one wants tablets and Windows 7 is more that adequate.

Well there's stuff google is good at and stuff it isn't, however no company should stop innovating and trying new things, because even though they will have failures some will be a success.

It's a badged Samsung anyway that's what I don't get, it's not made by google or anything.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on how good the plastic is.

Having felt and used the Galaxy S, it looks and feels so cheap, Not a high-end expensive phone feel.

But the screen!! The S-AMOLED screen. I've seen the galaxy S in person, I much prefer HTC UI skin, but the bright, over-saturated screen works really well for a phone.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the look of that at all, anyway every Samsung product I've bought has packed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    But the screen!! The S-AMOLED screen. I've seen the galaxy S in person, I much prefer HTC UI skin, but the bright, over-saturated screen works really well for a phone.

If you're lucky to find a Nexus One with AMOLED screen then there isn't a whole lot of difference.

Personally, I'd take SLCD if it meant having a phone that isn't made by Samsung. In fact, I have - my Nexus One is an SLCD version, and aside from the not quite so black blacks, it is fine. Won't get "screen burn" at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChromeOS is already being written off as pointless. ........ The answer then comes back, well netbooks are yesterdays product as every one wants tablets and Windows 7 is more that adequate.
    Those will an Android tablet and a Windows laptop will no doubt gravitate back towards the laptop.

I wonder if Chrome OS could become the 'Instant-On' of choice. As a secondary operating system to Windows.
  • Options
    dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its strange that Samsung can go from making a beautiful and solid phone like the Omnia 7 to such absolutely fugly, cheap and nasty phones such as the Galaxy range and now this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to make the worlds highest rated Android phone so antipathised?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are underestimating Googles part in this phone, yes its made by Samsung but something Google mentioned off the cusp was that they pick one manufacturers for whatever they are building so they have one solid product for their developers and they invest a huge amount of their skills into that product. Google would have had a big say in the design and everything. Of course its not perfect either but not as bas as people are making out.

On the tablet front i think Google will be key players with Honeycomb coming out in 2011. They held a preview yesterday of it and the video is floating around, very impressive. The manufacturer they chose for that tablet was Motorola.