WW1 and WW2 fiction books?

2»

Comments

• Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stackman wrote: »
    Funnily enough I have this as my current audio-book for my daily commute.

I love alternative history and have read quite a few of Harry Turtledove's books. Also worth a read is his latest series starting with "Hitler's War"

It assumes WW2 started after the Germans invaded Czechoslavakia in 1938 and pans out from there. (no aliens in this series!)

If you want to go down the AH route look out for John Birmingham, Robert Conway etc. If you look for these on Amazon you will see a lot of links to other simular authors.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to read a lot of Sven Hassel when I was a teenager. He was apparently in an SS penal regiment in WW2. His first book was sort of an autobiographical account of his wartime experiences (supposedly) and then he wrote a lot of more fictional ones from the first person perspective as if they were also autobiographical though it would have been incredibly unlikely for him to have been in every major engagement of the war. I found them interesting because you don't often see books from a German perspective.

Another book I remember reading when I was younger was called Rage of Battle by, I think it was, TS Hope. It's a WW1 novel about a young tommy.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat Barker's Ghost Road which is part of a triology that includes Regeneration and The Eye in the Door, it's based on Wilfred Owen and Sassoon's experiences in WW1. We're studying it in my English Literature degree with the OU and it's a very emotive and thoughtful book.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    'Enigma' by Robert Harris. Alan Turing really was a frightfully clever chap.

I concur, don't let the rather bad film version change your mind about this book.

As for WW2 books, can't go wrong with Sven Hassell if you want the blood and guts part of war. Some say he was a Walter Mitty but you can't deny he puts you right in the action.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WW1 - A Farewell to Arms - (Ernest Hemingway)

(another vote for A Woman in Berlin)